SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How often do you get a summons for jury duty? *Got another one pg 4*
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How often do you get a summons for jury duty? *Got another one pg 4* Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I get another summons I will request to be dismissed because I own a very small business and it's better that I'm there than at the courthouse.

^^^^^^^^^
That used to work here. No longer. The only excuses are age and some type of infirmity certified by a physician. You need to find out where the Court obtains the names. Some use the drivers license bureau others the voting rolls.

Posts: 17528 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I got my second summons recently; about 23 years after the first one. But, they said that face diapers were mandatory, so I opted out.

The first time I was called was in 1997 or 98. Even though I was a practicing attorney, I surprisingly made it through voir dire and sat for a 2-week trial. The judge was not happy to have a lawyer on the jury and singled me out for scolding a few times, stressing that I was not to apply my own knowledge to the case, I was not to try and unduly influence the other jurors, etc.

ETA: A couple of years ago, I was a material witness to a vehicular homicide. A dirtbag under the influence ran a redlight and t-boned a car right in front of me, killing a little boy. I gave a detailed statement to the police that night. About a year later the case came up for trial.

The day before I was scheduled to appear, I got a call and was asked if I was good to go. I told them I stood behind every word of my statement; in fact, I said, I didn't even need the statement because the image of that crash was seared in my mind and I thought of that little boy almost every day.

After that got back to the dirtbag and his lawyer, he decided to plead guilty to a lesser charge that still sent him to prison for a few years.

Posts: 6577 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lived a decade in Arlington, VA, and was never selected. I've lived in Tidewater for 30+ years, and was called once for county court and was not selected. About 6 years ago, I was called for Federal Court in Norfolk. I sat there for a day, but was not selected for the jury. The case was the first Priracy case filed in Federal Court since like 1820. Remember when a bunch of Somalis attacked a US Navy ship? The case ended up being dismissed.

https://www.nydailynews.com/ne...sts-article-1.168171

I was summonsed again in November, but since I was scheduled for heart surgery, they moved it to May 2021, and they never needed me to show up.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once in my life and it was Grand Jury.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 252 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Have only gotten a few and most have been in recent years. Was only called once and due to my line of work, the defense attorney was probably the one who didn't want me.

The most interesting one is when my wife got a summons! You've no idea all the hoops jumped through to point out that she is not a citizen and therefore ineligible Roll Eyes

Posts: 4918 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The county seems to tag me every three to five years or so. It seems to correlate with renewing ID paperwork. Big county and I opt out if the courthouse they want me at isn’t the one closest to my house.

The Feds called me once and I got to be a juror on a stupid case. It was fun.

Posts: 4331 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jwk226
posted Hide Post
I never have been summoned and I am mid40s. My wife has been called to county jury duty about 4 years ago and just got a letter for federal court. Same day, my 20 year old daughter received a letter too. What are the chances of that? Ha!

Posts: 63 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: February 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and every one of them words rang true and glowed like burnin’ coal.
Picture of TannerBoyl
posted Hide Post
In the last twenty years, I’ve gotten five jury duty summons. I’ve either had to call in or show up, but I’ve never gone beyond the jury pool.

Posts: 4597 | Location: Redondo Beach, California | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get a summons once every three or four years.

I think once you show up they put you on a list and you keep being recycled.

It's one day or one trial here.

I have sat around for my day several times and was on a trial once.

It was interesting that after they trial that the judge came and talked to us. He thanked us for serving and gave us some insight on our trial. Why the lawyers did some things.

I would serve again if called.

Posts: 4784 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Twice.

One Federal. One county.

In both cases I did NOT fill out the questionnaire. None of their damn business. Served on jury both times. Go figure.

Posts: 776 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Every year.
Usually dismissed over the phone about half of the time.
Only had to sit through the entire jury selection once, which took 2 days.

Posts: 7450 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I was getting them about every two years like clock work. I have managed to successfully evade jury duty every single time so maybe that’s why they have not sent me a summons in at least 4 years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
My 23 year old college student daughter just got a federal jury summons today.

It’s certainly not fun but it is an important Constitutional duty and right. She’ll be less than enthused (scared) but she will appear and do her best.

Posts: 12581 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Never

Bizarre. I have never in my life been called or received any notice of Jury duty. This thread pops up yesterday, and then today I see in my inbox my daily USPS Informed Delivery email that I have a notice from the county addressed as "JURY CLERK, THIRD DISTRICT COURT." I'm not home to open the mail, but I can only assume that it is a jury summons.

Now that is a hell of a coincidence if it is.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Balzé Halzé,

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife's been on a jury (civil) two times, IIRC. I got a couple of summons when I was a young policeman, but the judge always removed me and, finally did something to keep me from getting any more summons. I didn't ask him to do that, but....

Much later, I got two from the State, but never made it to Voir Dire before being excused. Both were after I retired from the State Attorney's office. So more than forty years since I'd gotten one as a police officer.

Then I got one from the Feds about 6 years ago, but I was pretty ill recovering from the cancer then, and my Doc sent in a letter explaining my illness. I was excused so that was fine with me.

Got one later, IIRC, but I was over 70 then, so no more for me.

Wife hasn't gotten one in over 40 years now. Perhaps this post is the kiss of death for that.

Bob

Posts: 1676 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Never

Bizarre. I have never in my life been called or received any notice of Jury duty. This thread pops up yesterday, and then today I see in my inbox my daily USPS Informed Delivery email that I have a notice from the county addressed as "JURY CLERK, THIRD DISTRICT COURT." I'm not home to open the mail, but I can only assume that it is a jury summons.

Now that is a hell of a coincidence if it is.

Ha! You tempted the fates, man! Big Grin

Posts: 17673 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
I've been summoned over 10 times. Once I was summoned twice in the same year.

I called them and explained that there was no way in no universe whereby they would go through the entire population and come back to me every year and twice one year.

I was seated twice, both idiotic wastes of time and the second time when we were asked to tell the court about ourselves I was angry, so I explained my Jeffersonian outlook on freedom and personal responsibility.

BOTH the defense and prosecution lawyers asked to dismiss me, this after final selection had been accomplished.

I laughed all the way out of there. They don't want a jury of peers, they want intimidated zombies.

My hope is that after that incident, they put a note after my name and lose my number.

Posts: 2844 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've been summoned three times in the 40+ years I've lived here. First time I was next in line for oral questioning when they filled the jury. They sent the rest of us home. Next time they canceled. Third time I got on a jury, it was a drug possession case, but the defendant opted for a bench trial at the last minute. That was three or four years ago. I'm planning to bail the hell out of Oregon when I retire in another 2 or 3 years, so it's remotely possible I may get called again before then.

Posts: 7418 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
Once in 17 years, and the population of my county is about a million.

Posts: 3689 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

Ha! You tempted the fates, man! Big Grin

I blame you for this...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post