SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How often do you get a summons for jury duty? *Got another one pg 4*
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How often do you get a summons for jury duty? *Got another one pg 4* Login/Join 
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I know if I post this I’m tempting the gods and one of these things is going to show up in my mailbox shortly.

About 15-20 years ago, I got my notice. Went down to the courthouse had to fill out all the forms and sit around for hours, raise your hand for the exemption wait some more and then finally enter the judge chambers where there’s literally 100 people in there trying to get out of jury duty.

I’m in the last 25 people. That means 75 people go ahead of me trying to explain to the judge why they don’t have the capacity to serve. Nobody is excused.

Now when I go to court, I dress for the occasion meaning suit and tie. I also have learned over many decades that politeness goes a long ways.

So when the judge came to me and ask, I in turn asked him how his day was going. That sort of caught him off guard for a moment but he quickly recovered and said “Thank you for the question, I’m doing well. How are you?”

I said I was well and explained the nature of my work and how it would be better if I could continue to go to work for our country. The judge agreed, Suggested I have a nice day and told me that I would be going home. The rest of the room erupted in total exasperation. Lol. Gavel time!

I have a similar story from 30 years ago where I walked out of court on a speeding ticket (90/55) with only court costs $34 just because I was nice to the judge. He had been dealing with jerks all day/night long and I spoke to him as a man.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26758 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
It is cool if you chose to attend as a jurist ... we however in King County just throw the jury summons in the garbage, per a friend who is an attorney and now a King County judge.

Waiting for the haters to trash me ... but to each their own.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Had one about 23 years ago and being former law enforcement got promptly kicked off.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2107 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Personally, as a LEO, my last one was from Snohomish County in 1987 for four weeks. I was working full time, building a house (as my own contractor) ... and personally knew the bailiff who I would call in to and be promptly excused daily. Able to then have four weeks paid to supervise the work being done on the house.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
It is cool if you chose to attend as a jurist ... we however in King County just throw the jury summons in the garbage, per a friend who is an attorney and now a King County judge.

Ok, I got a laugh out of that. I wouldn't be surprised either way. We don't prosecute a whole host of crimes, so not going after an ignored jury summons wouldn't surprise me.

quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
Say HI! to Judge Robertson! She's one of my besties. But honestly the court has kicked trials to March so you're going to be off the hook.

This one is for Maleng RJC, so might be a different judge. Either way, I guess we'll see.

quote:
Originally posted by IMPD2079:
You can always tell them that you believe that if the police had enough probable cause to arrest the person then he must be guilty. They will excuse you every time

Ha! "They don't just arrest people and press charges for no reason." Big Grin

Posts: 17673 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only once in my life and never made it to voir dire. Frown My octogenarian grandmother has never gotten one.

Help with my medical fundraiser at https://fundrazr.com/d2PmG0?ref=ab_8BFKzc.

Posts: 2149 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post