SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
I meant the lens covers!

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TKO:
I meant the lens covers!

HA! The Viper lens covers are like a million bucks compared to the ones included with the razor.

They are literally black plastic disks that snap onto the end of the scope.

Think like those plastic gallon milk jugs with the snap on caps instead of the screw on caps.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Oh damn! Thats freakin horrible.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh damn! Thats freakin horrible.

Now we're on the same page. Big Grin

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
I'll just toss this out there Wink

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jlemmy:
I'll just toss this out there Wink

Yeah, I got a close-up look at those a couple weeks ago at the last match.

Definitely going to need to look into them.

They run what, about $100, right?

Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
Yup, but no one size fits many nonsense. Each set made just for the model of scope.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yup, but no one size fits many nonsense. Each set made just for the model of scope.

So I've heard.

I've also heard complaints that based upon how you have your ocular lens set for focus, the cap may not have enough purchase on the scope tube and falls off rather easily....

Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:

So I've heard.

I've also heard complaints that based upon how you have your ocular lens set for focus, the cap may not have enough purchase on the scope tube and falls off rather easily....

Quite possibly and could be model dependent. I only have 2 sets, the Steiner and a Zeiss Diavari. No issues with those two.

Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Killer Instincts:
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
quote:
Pardon me if this has been answered, as I'm not really trying to look through 40+ pages of this thread, but do any of you have recommendations for a portable anemometer (wind gauge)? Budget is maybe a couple hundred bucks.

A few guys around me have this one, works well.

http://www.amazon.com/WeatherH...-Meter/dp/B00864MNSE

Thanks, that looks pretty good. NikonUser, the Kestrels do seem to be really well rated but not cheap for the upper end models! Eek

Have a look here to see all the models. Pick one with the features you want and go shopping.

http://kestrelmeters.com/pages/compare-kestrel-meters

I have the 2500.

Word up. My dad just ordered the 3000, so we'll give it a run! Thanks for your help.

I've been using the 3500 which for around $200 works very well along with the Shooter app on my smart phone. I like that it gives me absolute pressure which I can enter into the Shooter app (as station pressure) if I don't know my exact altitude.

I have heard some people recommend to at least get a model with Density Altitude which mine does not have, you have to step up to the 4000 for that. That would make it easier to just select the proper DA card if you had printed them out in increments ahead of time.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

So I've heard.

I have 2 sets of the Aadland scope caps (both for NF scopes) and both are excellent. The ones that I just got for the NF 2.5-10x42 actually have a tension screw adjustment on the side that allows you to tighten the circumference down to grip the scope even more. My original set do not have that feature but fit so tightly it's not needed.

Not sure if the tension screw is a feature change for all models or not.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
I have heard some people recommend to at least get a model with Density Altitude which mine does not have, you have to step up to the 4000 for that. That would make it easier to just select the proper DA card if you had printed them out in increments ahead of time.

My experience with long range ballistics is by no means extensive, so I partially rely on those who do have a lot of trigger time. What really sold me on DA was one rifle instructor who is also a pilot. In his experience, DA is (almost) everything for objects flying through the air.

After personally shooting from DAs of -1,000 feet to +9,000 feet with JBM ballistic tables based on MV, bullet type, and DA, I am amazed at how accurate the predicted dope is. I have pre-printed tables in my data books in 1,000 feet DA increments for my rifles and their preferred ammo types. I'm in the process of adding laminated dope cards to hang off the scopes of a couple rifles -- but for more limited DA ranges. IMO, out to 500 or 600 yards, you can be a little off on DA and it doesn't really affect my hit percentage on steel targets. By 700 or 800 yards, DA errors really begin to show.

There is one possible issue with DA cards that may throw a wrench in the works -- ambient temperature and its effect on muzzle velocity. I'm OK with my DA cards for temps of 50 to 90 degrees F out to 700 or 800 yards, but I'm still working on whether the cold winter temps reduce my MV enough to cause issues with steel matches. For the precision required of paper targets (say, F-class), MV changes with ambient temperature really could be an issue (depending on powders used).

Posts: 7895 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Just went and sighted in for tomorrow's shoot.

One shot, 600 yards, closest to the bullseye. No sighters, no foulers, cold bore only.

$10 per gun.

Last year there were 85 shooters, they paid the top 10 places.

Don't know as I'll get any cash, but it sure is fun to sit around and BS about guns and have a few beers with everyone.

I'll come back tomorrow evening and update with how well I did (or didn't) do.

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Finally got my CG xtreme trigger in yesterday. Stuck it on the Kelbly Atlas tactical to play with it and it's adjustments. Trigger hanger on the Kelbly is nice. Adjusted all of the first stage travel out and set the second stage where it felt good. Not measured the weight yet. I may play with it as 2 stage when I can shoot it but right now it's as close to a Jewell as I can get it. Smile Not fond of the over travel yet.

Got word today from Manners that the stock is close to completion. Last puzzle piece missing for this one. Looking forward to getting it done.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
Not fond of the over travel.

I didn't realize the CG trigger is two stage. Interesting, as over travel is the main issue I have with some of the two-stage triggers I have played with. Over travel isn't too big of deal with a bolt gun, as my hand completely moves from the grip and trigger to cycle the bolt. But with semi autos I really, really like a hard trigger stop immediately after breaking the shot, then minimal forward movement to set up for the next break.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
I had read where it had some over travel before purchasing. Something I'm going to have to get used to though. Tubb has written about it and I've heard others talk about the benefits of it for certain types of shooting to help with follow through. Looking forward to getting some shots behind it. It can be used as single or 2 stage. It does break as clean as my Jewells.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
Finally got my CG xtreme trigger in yesterday. Stuck it on the Kelbly Atlas tactical to play with it and it's adjustments. Trigger hanger on the Kelbly is nice. Adjusted all of the first stage travel out and set the second stage where it felt good. Not measured the weight yet. I may play with it as 2 stage when I can shoot it but right now it's as close to a Jewell as I can get it. Smile Not fond of the over travel yet.

Got word today from Manners that the stock is close to completion. Last puzzle piece missing for this one. Looking forward to getting it done.

In my conversations with Tom in the past he recommended that the first stage not be completely removed. Unless you have the safety free version. This is from his site.

Link

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Certainly disappointing if it won't operate correctly as single stage. I did specifically ask when ordering and was told it was no problem. Don't know if they have changed anything or the person I talked to was just doing a sales pitch. Everything seems to function fine so I'll test it out and see. Also will call them again Monday and ask for Tom. Honestly if it won't function properly as a single stage I'll probably get rid of it.

Picture of rbdub474
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I meant the lens covers!

HA! The Viper lens covers are like a million bucks compared to the ones included with the razor.

They are literally black plastic disks that snap onto the end of the scope.

Think like those plastic gallon milk jugs with the snap on caps instead of the screw on caps.

To be fair, most high end scope manufacturers don't include great caps with their products. They expect the end user to supply the caps they prefer. Kind of along the lines that a lot of cheap scopes come with rings, but better products allow the end user to choose what they want.

As far as the Aadmount covers, they are great and no issues whatsoever with them coming loose on my Gen II. If anything they would be a pain to get back off. I've used Butler Creek in the past but had too many break during matches or while hunting. If I do manage to break the Aadmounts, they have a lifetime warranty.

Here is a pic from last night of my Gen II with the covers:

Trying to finalize my case layout before I do the program for the waterjet.

Posts: 839 | Location: East Central MO | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
You cnc your foam?! Eek

Jealous.