SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 Drop Safety in Question (Formerly DPD Recall thread)
Page 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... 89
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Drop Safety in Question (Formerly DPD Recall thread) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
That article is 2 months old. And doesn't report what you initially reported.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found the video and updated the post.

Sig P220R Match SAO .40, Sig P320 X5 9mm, Beretta 92 Combat .40

Posts: 13 | Registered: July 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pizzaman383:
I found the video and updated the post.

No. Still two months old, still doesn't detail an officer's firearm discharging unintentionally. It describes a police chief making a firearm change at the height of the panic, based on things he saw on the internet...the same panic displayed early in this thread.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WSB video

Officer says " On Sunday he fell..."

Sig P220R Match SAO .40, Sig P320 X5 9mm, Beretta 92 Combat .40

Posts: 13 | Registered: July 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So he fell, and managed to hit -30 degrees while in his holster, presumably on his hip? Hmmm. He'd have to be quite the contortionist.

I suspect he was running with his pistol out and finger on the trigger. Then realized he was dumb and just decided to blame it on the drop issue.

But who knows, I wasn't there.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds about right.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pizzaman383:
WSB video

Officer says " On Sunday he fell..."

Nice work on the video editing - Shows a Glock in it's case in the middle of the report Smile

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
So he fell, and managed to hit -30 degrees while in his holster, presumably on his hip? Hmmm. He'd have to be quite the contortionist.

Just to clarify... Sig found that they could reliably reproduce the drop safety video from the internet videos at -30 degrees in their drop test rig from 6FT.

That does NOT mean that EXACTLY -30 degrees and 6FT are the only conditions this can occur in. That just happens to be the settings on the rig when Sig finally acknowledged the issue.

Furthermore, the orientation relative to the ground of the pistol is only relevant in the case of a straight drop. So even if we DID take your fallacious assumption regarding the precision of the 30 degrees at face value... it is entirely irrelevant.

We already know that a blunt force to the back of the slide (regardless of the angle of the pistol to the ground) will also cause the same discharge issue. It is entirely possible the officer fell, and the pistol bumped against some stationary object with the force vectored in the correct direction (relative to the slide... not the ground) to cause the issue.

Posts: 331 | Location: OH | Registered: September 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With all the wild mania about the issue, the panic, the testing...It's not too likely that other modes of discharge were discovered and simply kept quiet by the thousands who were involved in the mass panic.

Neither is it likely that this officer tripped and discharged his weapon in the holster.

Far more likely, given that the only evidence that the weapon discharged in the holster is the the officer's statement, the officer covered himself with a while lie.

Had the pistol discharged in the holster, the agency would be able to easily verify it by the powder residue on the officer's leg, impact point, etc. Instead, the only mention given was the officer's statement. Very thin, and hardly the most plausible.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ I dug deeply into the CT lawsuit involving the SWAT LEO who purportedly dropped his belt/holster on the ground and had the gun spontaneously fire, hitting him in the leg. I almost posted on the topic, but decided not to add any more opinion/speculation to the thread.

There was no mention in the filing of any forensic examination involved on the holster itself. If one had been done, you'd think the shysters would consider it pure gold and would have incorporated it in the court filing.

However, one thing stuck out...the holster. Per the court filing: "Agency indicated the gun was dropped from a height of three feet and was secured in a Safari Model 6360 ALS/SLS Mid Ride Level III Retention Duty Holster."

The pic below is that holster. Since the top and bottom of the holster has significant holster material extended beyond the front/rear of the slide. I find it difficult to understand how the thing could fire.

Safariland Web site:
https://www.safariland.com/pro...y-holster-23319.html

In other words, call me skeptical.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
^^^ I dug deeply into the CT lawsuit involving the SWAT LEO who purportedly dropped his belt/holster on the ground and had the gun spontaneously fire, hitting him in the leg. I almost posted on the topic, but decided not to add any more opinion/speculation to the thread.

There was no mention in the filing of any forensic examination involved on the holster itself. If one had been done, you'd think the shysters would consider it pure gold and would have incorporated it in the court filing.

However, one thing stuck out...the holster. Per the court filing: "Agency indicated the gun was dropped from a height of three feet and was secured in a Safari Model 6360 ALS/SLS Mid Ride Level III Retention Duty Holster."

The pic below is that holster. Since the top and bottom of the holster has significant holster material extended beyond the front/rear of the slide. I find it difficult to understand how the thing could fire.

The court filings are here: https://drive.google.com/file/...N3l1SHkwQ243TWs/view
Note on page 3 and 4 item 8.

quote:
The bullet entered beneath his left knee, traversed the tissue and part of a tendon behind his patella, and lodged slightly to the left of his knee with the round protruding from his leg.

Call ME a skeptic, but given the fact that the bullet entered below the knee on an upwards trajectory, from a pistol that has been PROVEN to drop when fired in such a manner (and admitted as such by the manufacturer)... I really don't see your grounds for skepticism here.

Posts: 331 | Location: OH | Registered: September 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
[A]nd lodged slightly to the left of his knee with the round protruding from his leg.

What cartridge was the gun in question chambered for?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lordhamster:
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:

The court filings are here: https://drive.google.com/file/...N3l1SHkwQ243TWs/view
Note on page 3 and 4 item 8.

quote:
The bullet entered beneath his left knee, traversed the tissue and part of a tendon behind his patella, and lodged slightly to the left of his knee with the round protruding from his leg.

Call ME a skeptic, but given the fact that the bullet entered below the knee on an upwards trajectory, from a pistol that has been PROVEN to drop when fired in such a manner (and admitted as such by the manufacturer)... I really don't see your grounds for skepticism here.

Word is they have the incident on video, along with removing the weapon from the holster in the evidence room.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
We keep hearing that there's a video of that incident. I'd sure like to see that video.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
We keep hearing that there's a video of that incident. I'd sure like to see that video.

You and the whole gun conspiracy internet, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that the people that possess it don't really care what the internet thinks.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grayguns:
Prediction: Once the shooting public actually handles and shoots the new mechanism, P320 sales will increase dramatically from their previous level.

-Bruce

Can we get a prediction when a modular gun will actually have modular parts available?

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdmb03:
quote:
Originally posted by Grayguns:
Prediction: Once the shooting public actually handles and shoots the new mechanism, P320 sales will increase dramatically from their previous level.

-Bruce

Can we get a prediction when a modular gun will actually have modular parts available?

You resurrected this thread just to snark about parts availability?

Knock it off.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Really? I got called out for this? OK, for anyone asking the same question:

Please go to sigsauer.com and hit the “Store” button.

Use the “search” function to type in “P320 X-Change”.

Scroll through the selections until you find the eight kit configurations currently in stock tonight.

Look for other modular parts and components to see what may be available.

Sort through the previous 82 pages of tone-deaf bloviating, clueless speculation, deliberate misinformation and mean-spirited piling-on contained in this largely useless thread to find a bits and pieces of a factual chronicle of developments of the past six-odd months.

Employ some critical thinking to assess how much of what you read in these 82 pages ultimately proved to be accurate.

Then, armed with a reasonable perspective, please consider two things:

first, as you come to understand why not all P320 X-Change kits and parts might be available right now;

and, as a courtesy to me, please consider why I don’t spend as much time as I wish I could here at my beloved home anymore.

I have many friends here, and will always have great affection for this place and it’s generous leadership. This place was crucial to building Grayguns Inc. and I can never do enough to return that amazing favour.

However, the prevalence of malcontented attitudes shared by so many members who just want to bitch ceaselessly about the company I love and believe in, has long since burned me out.

I keep asking myself: In the face of pervasive negativity which I believe runs off some of those who would otherwise be our friends, what could I possibly do to help restore Sigforum to the authentic home for SIG SAUER enthusiasts and professionals it once was?

Like boiling the proverbial frog by one degree at a time, I suspect some of our fellow members haven’t noticed the cultural change over the years; having had periods when I was away working of getting healthy, I have.

I’m not keen on suffering coming here just to be trolled, discounted and frustrated. I only ever want to be an asset, but I’m struggling to maintain my characteristically positive attitude.

This is not a rebuke. I’m just seeking better ideas.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ether:
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:

This. And I really like the gun but undecided what I want to do with it when it returns from the upgraded. Keep it or get rid of it for something else.

If you still like the gun after it's upgraded, keep it. But do tell us what you decide, one way or the other, and why.

I traded it straight up for a Gen5 Glock 19 with Ameriglo night sights.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bruce - Excellent post and summary of this thread.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post