SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Has this been already noted? OSHA's own website states that cloth and paper masks do nothing to protect you.

COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions

This page includes frequently asked questions (FAQs) and answers related to the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic.
Cloth Face Coverings
What are the key differences between cloth face coverings, surgical masks, and respirators?

Cloth face coverings:

May be commercially produced or improvised (i.e., homemade) garments, scarves, bandanas, or items made from t-shirts or other fabrics.
Are worn in public over the nose and mouth to contain the wearer's potentially infectious respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks and to limit the spread of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), to others.
Are not considered personal protective equipment (PPE).
Will not protect the wearer against airborne transmissible infectious agents due to loose fit and lack of seal or inadequate filtration.
Are not appropriate substitutes for PPE such as respirators (e.g., N95 respirators) or medical face masks (e.g., surgical masks) in workplaces where respirators or face masks are recommended or required to protect the wearer.
May be used by almost any worker, although those who have trouble breathing or are otherwise unable to put on or remove a mask without assistance should not wear one.
May be disposable or reusable after proper washing.

Surgical masks:

Are typically cleared by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as medical devices (though not all devices that look like surgical masks are actually medical-grade, cleared devices).
Are used to protect workers against splashes and sprays (i.e., droplets) containing potentially infectious materials. In this capacity, surgical masks are considered PPE. Under OSHA's PPE standard (29 CFR 1910.132), employers must provide any necessary PPE at no-cost to workers.1
May also be worn to contain the wearer's respiratory droplets (e.g., healthcare workers, such as surgeons, wear them to avoid contaminating surgical sites, and dentists and dental hygienists wear them to protect patients).
Should be placed on sick individuals to prevent the transmission of respiratory infections that spread by large droplets.
Will not protect the wearer against airborne transmissible infectious agents due to loose fit and lack of seal or inadequate filtration.
May be used by almost anyone.
Should be properly disposed of after use.

Link

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3924 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish someone could put a muzzle on this quack Fauci. He has yet to get anything right and now he's out spouting off that new cases could reach 100,000 per day.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
I wish someone could put a muzzle on this quack Fauci. He has yet to get anything right and now he's out spouting off that new cases could reach 100,000 per day.

Let's stick to one storyline. If our argument is going to be that 10+ times the positive tests is the actual positive number, we're already at >25MM. At 100K/day that would take 250 days. Even with this starting earlier than March we're already way beyond that in actual cases per day.

So, he's already right.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^ Maybe, but if he's talking about positive tests being new cases I doubt that we will get that high. Since June 25 the new cases have been in the 40K range. I just don't see it going that much higher. Could be wrong.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
^^^ Maybe, but if he's talking about positive tests being new cases I doubt that we will get that high. Since June 25 the new cases have been in the 40K range. I just don't see it going that much higher. Could be wrong.

40k new cases per day? Wow, it has been a long time since I have looked at any of the “Death clock” pages.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I looked a few pages back and did not see this. If I missed it my apologies.
An article from a NJ news station (NJ 101.5) I used to listen to.
This could explain a lot about some of the spikes some states are seeing due to the massive increase in testing.

Can you test positive for coronavirus exposure with a cold? (Opinion)
Bill Spadea
June 30, 2020

https://nj1015.com/can-you-tes...ZMX9dveQCepHgB6SBqqc

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
wuhan crud may eventually be like the ever present cocaine on currency...

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

That is referring to antibody testing to detect past infection, not the PCR test that is used to detect current infection.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
This could explain a lot about some of the spikes some states are seeing due to the massive increase in testing.

Bill Spadea
June 30, 2020

That article is talking about antibody testing which is completely different from the testing being done to see if a person is currently infected and therefore has nothing to do with the spikes in cases.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

Bill Spadea
June 30, 2020

That article is talking about antibody testing which is completely different from the testing being done to see if a person is currently infected and therefore has nothing to do with the spikes in cases.

Thanks.
The first two sentences kind of contradict The statement in quotes right below it so it is confusing.

The second sentence says a spike in positive may be from having a cold,
then the quotes talk about antibodies possibly from the common cold.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
There might be a spike in cases but what will be more important is if there is a spike in mortality? If not then as the number of cases increase but the mortality rate stays the same it decreases this will end up being just another flu bug

But I’m curious to know how many people died from influenza and pneumonia this year.

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

But I’m curious to know how many people died from influenza and pneumonia this year.

Moreover, I'd like to compare all total deaths from previous years to this year.

Anyway, the death rate will absolutely nose dive since the majority of current cases are young people. And frankly, young healthy people have a mortality rate of practically zero with this chicom virus.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:

You are right, of course. However, do you believe for one second that the wonderful folks trying to scare everyone out of their wits won’t add every single positive antibody test to the count of cases? You can almost see the logic: If the antibody tests are accurate and there are not false positives, then every positive antibody test indicates another case (at least if the person wasn’t tested before). It may well be an already resolved case, but it is a case.

I haven’t looked at the counts in a long time. I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that they are nothing but a pile of lies, so why bother paying any attention to them?

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

Moreover, I'd like to compare all total deaths from previous years to this year.

Anyway, the death rate will absolutely nose dive since the majority of current cases are young people. And frankly, young healthy people have a mortality rate of practically zero with this chicom virus.

That is an interesting statistic of course (total deaths) and would help adjust for some of the lies.

At the end of the day though, I’m convinced that the lifetime mortality rate is 100%. Everybody dies. Not everybody lives. I’m more concerned with living than dying. Dying will happen and nothing I can do will stop it. I am in no hurry to hasten it, but I refuse to hide under the couch and avoid living for fear of dying.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Bill Spadea
June 30, 2020

If for nothing else, can we please dear god get our terminology and focus right and stop listening to the retards in the media who have but one goal in life regarding the WooFlu...scaring the hell out of people.

Positive 'test results' is not the same thing as 'cases' of KungFlu, no matter how much the media tell us it is. Ask a doctor if he gives a damn about the testing totals. Then ask them if he cares about actual 'cases' of the bug, most often meaning hospitalization. The terms are 'not' synonymous. Testing positive means virtually nothing if the person never develops symptoms, and only slightly more than nothing if they develop mild symptoms and recover without any medical assistance. The 'only' meaningful stats on this bug are the total number of hospitalizations versus the total number of available hospital beds (i.e. treatment capacity), and the number and trend of deaths specifically attributable to the virus. Hypothetically, if you had a million people test positive, yet not one of them had to be hospitalized and/or died from the virus, would we really care much about this? Of course not. All the gloom and doom bullshit and hyperventilating is just that...bullshit. Ignore it and tell the politicians to shove their commentary and their stupid public orders.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I hadn't thought about the definition of "case" as it related to having a disease. In my mind, a new positive test result would be a confirmed case of the Vid as opposed to someone showing symptoms but not yet having been tested might be considered a suspected case. A person might be a probable case if say lung xrays matched patterns of confirmed cases.

Otherwise yes, just showing the one cumulative number serves only to scare people. I tend to focus on how many new positive tests for the last two weeks and subtract out the current cases in nursing homes and assisted care facilities. For example, using the by county data Florida has provided, there may have been 150 new positive tests in my county, but 60 current cases in nursing homes. That tells me there are roughly 90 wandering around my county that are known to have it. All of these people should be staying home, unless of course they are hospitalized. Let's assume half of these people are out and about. That would be 45 out of 160,000 people in my county that I would have to be in close proximity for 15 minutes or more to get enough of the virus to become infected.

I'll take my chances because: one, the chance of my even bumping into these people is slim. Two, when I'm going about my daily business, there are very few people that I spend 15 minutes with. Three, I'm in an age group that has like a 99.9% survival rate. Four, I don't have any other health factors which raises my survival rate to like 99.999%.

But yeah, I'm an uncaring, irrational imbecile because I don't wear a mask.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
But yeah, I'm an uncaring, irrational imbecile because I don't wear a mask

You’re also more likely to bump into a hot nymphomaniac with low standards than you are one of those 45 people.

Good luck!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Positive 'test results' is not the same thing as 'cases' of KungFlu, no matter how much the media tell us it is. Ask a doctor if he gives a damn about the testing totals. Then ask them if he cares about actual 'cases' of the bug, most often meaning hospitalization. The terms are 'not' synonymous. Testing positive means virtually nothing if the person never develops symptoms, and only slightly more than nothing if they develop mild symptoms and recover without any medical assistance. The 'only' meaningful stats on this bug are the total number of hospitalizations versus the total number of available hospital beds (i.e. treatment capacity), and the number and trend of deaths specifically attributable to the virus. Hypothetically, if you had a million people test positive, yet not one of them had to be hospitalized and/or died from the virus, would we really care much about this? Of course not. All the gloom and doom bullshit and hyperventilating is just that...bullshit. Ignore it and tell the politicians to shove their commentary and their stupid public orders.

I agree with your general sentiment but your language is imprecise.

A positive antibody test does mean something. It means someone was exposed to the virus. If they never got sick or they got mildly ill and recovered on their own, then it is likely something to celebrate. They may well be immune going forward, and contributing to herd immunity. If so, this is good news, the exact opposite of how the Lame Stream Media is trying to portray it.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
I agree with your general sentiment but your language is imprecise.
I'm going to agree to disagree on that point. Positive 'tests' are not 'cases'. Tests become cases when a doctor opens a patient file and diagnosis and treatment is rendered. Someone who 'tests' positive and either is asymptomatic or recovers at home with no medical assistance is not a 'case'. And no one to date is even attempting to track those numbers, which by all indications are significant.
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
They may well be immune going forward, and contributing to herd immunity. If so, this is good news, the exact opposite of how the Lame Stream Media is trying to portray it.
Bingo. Now ya got it. And I'm going to once again point out the hypocrisy/dishonesty of the media and the political garbage when two weeks ago they not only didn't give a damn about tens of thousands of people out and about not practicing social distancing while they were burning, beating, and looting, you know, protesting Roll Eyes, but they actually promoted and encouraged it.
Now a jump in positive 'tests' (not deaths or a major jump in hospitalizations) has the same filth telling us we need to wear a hazmat suit in public or not to go out. Forgive me, but 'F' them.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Fauci needs to go.....

Random hookups are ok using a dating app, but going to bar is bad. This guy is the epitome of “Swamp” sorry he talks it of four sides of his mouth.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/01/...g-to-bars-right-now/

Posts: 2775 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post