SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Solar Eclipse - 21 Aug 2017 ○○○●○○○updated with a pretty cool website ●○●
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solar Eclipse - 21 Aug 2017 ○○○●○○○updated with a pretty cool website ●○● Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
because we literally expecting people to be extra stupid during a scientific phenomenon....

Listening to the radio the other day, and they were interviewing somebody or another. They claimed that many are modeling the need based on what happened in Europe during a recent eclipse.

It wasn't so much extra stupid, as it was the regular amount of stupid multiplied by the influx of additional people.

Little stupid x a bazillion people = extra stupid.

Haven't you ever tried to go to a sporting event, or grocery shopping before snow/holiday? People are morons and assholes, when you have more people they get ruder and more inconsiderate.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
I feel like I'm about the only person who doesn't really care about the upcoming eclipse.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Last one I saw was in 1984 and this time I am in the path again so I ain't gonna miss it.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
My next door neighbor lady asked me if the sun's total eclipse will be during the daytime or at night. She doesn't want to have to stay up late to see it. I just shook my head and finished trimming the grass edges.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Here's a pretty good website for you:

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/yuma

I'll be in Yuma...

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I have been all over the world. Ironically the last total eclipse in the US was 1970 and I was in Keflavik Iceland and saw the partial.

In 1984 I was in Columbus AFB, and again, saw a partial. We were severely undermanned and I could not get leave to head south to see an annular, and it would have only been a few hours to get to Montgomery.

I have seen comets, and a total eclipse has always been a "bucket list" item.

I likely won't get "space travel", but I'll be damned if I let the worry of a crowd and any "inconvenience" get in the way of a "once in a lifetime" event.

Yeah, it's a "must see" event for me.

I am in awe that this phenomena is only realized on Earth in our solar system. The lesser planets have no moons, and the moons of Mars are too small to have any significance, and the moons of the greater planets are too large with the distance of the sun and result in total obscurity, and not the near perfect occultation that our moon and sun create to allow the observance of the sun's corona. A glimpse that is only seen by us, and again, sometimes only a once in a lifetime occurrence.

There is a lot of other "wow" factor that is associated with the event, and I damned sure want to experience it.

I can suffer a little "third world" in the process.

If only the weather holds out...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ironically the last total eclipse in the US was 1970

better recheck your data; https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/...979Feb26Tgoogle.html

Yes, it was not just a regular day for any of us who sought out the experience.

We traveled across much of Oregon to get to our viewing site. 40 years later, I'm glad to live in the totality path and not have to attempt such a journey.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I should have clarified, that I could have made it to.

I was in "Uncle Sam's Aero Club" at Eglin AFB, and not subject to be able to go see that one.

My point in my earlier post was those events that occurred and the inability to intersect with them.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Well been planning this trip for a year, place reserved since the beginning of the year and mother nature is going to shit on my plans. 40% chance of rain and cloudy. My freaking luck...

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Here's a site from NASA that lets you view the eclipse from any location. You can speed up or slow down the animation. The timeanddate.com site would show my city, so I found this one.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
So they've supposedly sold out every hotel room in the greater Nashville area, and they're estimating that 500,000 to 1,000,000 people will be coming to the middle Tennessee area for this. Tennessee DOT is warning of MAJOR traffic issues.

I'll be at work and they're saying it will be gridlock at rush hour Monday afternoon.

WTF?

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Planning vacation around it. Will be staying in Isle of Palms SC, directly in path of it. Condo is 5 minutes from location with longest total eclipse. If I get my shit together in time and get a ring by then will be asking GF to marry me during or right after eclipse.

Yep I'm a space nerd. Cool

That's Great Jesse!
Mozeltov

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I'm working that day in the ER in Charlotte so I'm expecting at least 8 people with either real or imaginary eye injuries that day. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I'm working that day in the ER in Charlotte so I'm expecting at least 8 people with either real or imaginary eye injuries that day. Roll Eyes

How many do you expect w/ injuries from chasing NC's version of the lizard man?

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
So they've supposedly sold out every hotel room in the greater Nashville area, and they're estimating that 500,000 to 1,000,000 people will be coming to the middle Tennessee area for this. Tennessee DOT is warning of MAJOR traffic issues.

I'll be at work and they're saying it will be gridlock at rush hour Monday afternoon.

WTF?

Ohhhhh,......yay....... Frown

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
if I had a way to post a video from Facebook I would, friend of mine lives in Prineville Oregon and the traffic has been at a stand still as far as you can see. he estimates 30 miles or more people just standing next to their cars. freaking crazy 4 days until the event. I live within 30 miles of the totality and could care less.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prineville is double doomed. It seems the organizers of burning man happen to be having a big art and music festival there's with everything culminating around the eclipse. People started showing up Wednesday for a week long event leading to massive traffic events already.

The state is putting all its resources into preparation throughout the path of the eclipse and it's already getting insane. The state is tinder dry with a number of wildfires and they expect 1 million visitors. The potential for a major fire with the inability of of first responders to move freely is high.

I'm going to take the day off, stay home, and let the idiots deal with each other.

Posts: 270 | Location: Oregon | Registered: May 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Will be a 98% eclipse in my area. I'll find out how the fish react.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
this I'm told is a local in Central Oregon music event last night....I have no details. If so, the on-ground vehicle count must be a considerable percentage as compared to resident population.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
this I'm told is a local in Central Oregon music event last night....I have no details. If so, the on-ground vehicle count must be a considerable percentage as compared to resident population.

I live here. Well, this is Prineville and I live in Redmond. Lots of people at that festival. But surprisingly.... traffic all around here has been nothing bad at all. We have all been on red alert that it will be grid lock since Thursday but Ive been riding my motorcycle all around and its been smooth everywhere. Out east past Prineville (where this event is) I heard there was a bit of a back up, but it never backed up into town that I saw.

The problem will most likely come on Monday/Tuesday when everyone decides to leave at the same time.

I have 100% totality sitting in my back yard, with a good view. That is where I'll be. I took Monday off. Tuesday getting to work may be a challenge though still.

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post