SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What kind of bike (with pedals) do you, or did you ride? Post pics!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of bike (with pedals) do you, or did you ride? Post pics!!! Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Quick Release & cheap mechanical brakes for the win! With the original front wheel bent and getting repaired I had to improvise. Big Grin

Business up front (2.1 tires with a rounder profile is about the max width for the chromo fork on this bike)

Party out back!!

This slick looking tire does shockingly well on gravel, dirt, asphalt and even bumpy root filled single track if your a glutton for punishment. It excels on the smoother stuff but it can take a beating.

Of course the wind blows it over while I’m taking a pic. Big Grin

My local bike shop rocks. Fixed in one day at no charge! (Bike is under warranty)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
This is me and Sig Forum is indirectly responsible. I learned of Sierra Trading Post here and STP ran these Schwinn 3 speed cruisers on close out for $199 free shipping. I snagged one. Came in a big box mostly assembled and I had no trouble finishing it up.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
My Shaft-Driven Dynamic Runabout 7-speed I've had since about 2003. Made somewhere in Asia I think, imported and sold by Dynamic Bicycles, out of Massachusetts.

These days, I think Dynamic is mostly into ride-share bikes and they offer or did offer a Police version of this Runabout for municipal duties.

The front shocks are adjustable and together with the shaft drive, make this a smooth and comfortable rider.

No oily chain to maintain, wear or get in the way. Internal gears in the shaft drive allow shifting into any gear at any speed ... even sitting still. In operation, a gear change is precise and instantaneous with no lag. Much less maintenance and much fewer components to wear and require periodic adjustment.

Changes I made to the bike as shipped from Dynamic include, Marathon Plus Schwalbe tires and tubes, cruiser handle bars, Selle Royal Classic Journey Relaxed Bike Saddle and Selle Royal Mano Relaxed Grips. I can't imagine it ever wearing out or aluminum frame rusting away. Oh and I also stripped it as much as possible, even of decals and stripes. I made it mine.

Sure, shaft drive adds a few ounces of weight over conventional chain drive but it isn't even noticed whatsoever in my upright urban riding and choice of 7 speeds (shaft drive 7spd ratios said to be equivalent to about 17 of a 24spd chain bike) . Just a smooth and effortless joy. Love this bike and I'll NEVER be without reliable transportation ... even if it is less than one(1) horsepower Wink

Posts: 4700 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
... and I did have a mid 90's Schwinn Cruiser that I'd put a lot of wear on, got tired of keeping in almost seemingly constant adjustment (the precise shaft drive ruined me LOL), put a sign on "Free to Good Home" and stuck out on the curb. Don't know who got it. I miss that bike for the old school looks but at the end of the day, the shaft-driven bike is really the only bike I need. MUCH lighter, faster and smoother than my beloved old Schwinn Supreme. Just doesn't look as good as the old school Schwinn ... maybe. I'm 68 this year and lighter, faster, smoother just works best I guess.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Shaft drive!?!? NOW that is a cool design!

I’m loving the beach cruisers too.

If it’s got two wheel you know I love.it Now what I truly adore are the odd ball designs like belt drive, gear boxes and shaft drive. It’s so cool to see the creative ways people design bicycle drive trains. I’m loving the little cottage industry of frame builders too. There are some amazing bikes being built in small shops in the USA and UK!

I used to bitch about the spandex clad cyclists riding the shoulder rather than the empty sidewalk. Well as life goes on I’m slowly becoming one of those cyclists in the road. Big Grin

If any of you are considering a road bike or a gravel bike DO IT! They are soooooooooooooo much more efficient and faster than your typical knobby tire Mountain bike.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Never seen a shaft drive pedal bike, very interesting.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15322 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Giant 2006 or 2007 vintage OCR Limited, upgraded with DT Swiss racing wheels.

I also have an early '90s CB Zip trail bike.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Just picked up a Giant Revolt Advanced 2 M/L gravel bike. Going to use it for Katy Trail(local trail) and road riding. Got it set up right now with Wahoo Kickr and Climbr (picked up both still in box at an estate sale) with Zwift for indoor training right now.

Going to get a bike rack trailer hitch added to my car.

I might pick up a Trek mountain bike (either hardtail or full suspension, haven't decided yet) in a couple months.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I forgot how fun it is to ride one of these. I taught one of my sons friends how to ride a bike today with my old Specialized FatBoy.

Then when the boys got bored with bikes I took it for a ride around the neighborhood for a few miles. Whoa! What a fun, nostalgic and intense physical experience it was to go back to only one gear and 20 inch tires. Even after all the years I felt almost more comfortable on a 20 inch bike going fast than I do on my 26,27.5 & 29er bikes.

I like oddities and the frame on this FatBoy is unique! No, for an aluminum frame it isn’t light but nothing from this era was. I’m glad I bought a lot of mid school (1990-2000’s) era BMX frames, forks and parts before the market went insane. Building em up is pretty fun too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Stickman it is funny you mention BMX stuff today. My boys and I went to the local bike shop to pick up my wife’s new 2 wheeled ride yesterday.
The had a GT JR performer hanging in the window and my 7 year old froze and was immediately was in love!
I wanted a GT when I was a kid and ended up with a Mongoose which was an awesome bike.

So the boy will be getting a GT this summer. I see a BMX in my future too.
Though my Mongoose may very well still be in the barn at my Mom’s house.

My road bike and mountain bike are both Specialized.
Pretty sure Specialized is out of the BMX game so may look for a used Fatboy. My buddy had a red one and it was a slick bike.

So a skateboard and BMX bike look to be in my future.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
This is the first day I brought mine home 11 years ago. Still have the SRAM Rival, but I switched out the entry level wheels with a set of Mavic Ksyrium Pro's. Look Keo pedals are on now. Pictured was a set of 20 year old Look race pedals. Harder than hell to get into. I promised myself a new bike on my 60th birthday, but I think I'm going to keep this one a while longer. bikesmall by Kent Matthew, on Flickr

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
specialized epic pro:

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
First ride of the spring. It felt good to be back on the trails!

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I managed to scoop up a pretty darn cool bike!!! The older rigid fork Marin Pine Mountain sort of takes the DNA of the BMX bikes I used to race and beautifully combines it with the extra gears and larger dimensions of a mountain bike. Newer models of the Pine Mountain have added a front suspension and thinner tires.

This one isn’t mine (mine is in pieces right now) but when it is assembled it will look almost identical to this Pine Mountain.

The 29inch wheels will be swapped out for plus size 27.5 wheels somewhere in the range of 3-3.5 inches wide. This IMO should be close to the sweet spot size for a fun tire to thrash on the MANY trails in my neighborhood.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Trek FX. I’d post a pic, but I am not at home.

Posts: 2011 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
This one. I bought it new and it’s still in excellent condition, just with street tires and a comfy seat now.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Stingray, Pierce Arrow 10 speed, Motobecane, Gitane,Masi Prestige and a Proflex 957..

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
High school - Schwinn Varsity, then Peugeot PX-10LE

Leant it to my brother, it got ripped off.

Got a Centurion Comp TA for myself as a USNA graduation present.

For the past 20 years, it has been a Raleigh M80

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post