SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What kind of bike (with pedals) do you, or did you ride? Post pics!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of bike (with pedals) do you, or did you ride? Post pics!!! Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
1960'ish Schwinn stingray with banana seat.

I had one in about 1969. Mine was gold.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Current ride:
Electra Townie.
In my wasted youth:
Huffy to destroy by delivering heavy papers.
Schwinn Stingray to impress the chix.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16066 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
This was my first really liked bike. Had the 2 speed axle. I had larger handlebars on it. Not ape hangers though

Then I graduated to Schwinn Varsity. First one had Simplex gears. I changed the rear changer to Huret.
First Varsity was red. Second green. Third red.
Now I have a Fuji Mt Fuji.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GT 4000

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
It’s been a long time since I’ve been on either, but I put a bunch of miles on a Raleigh Tourist and a Raleigh Superbe in the 1980s. I commuted to school and work in Austin and then Colorado Springs on them.

Pics from the web:

Tourist

28” wheels, rod brakes, ponderous wheelbase for smooth ride.

Superbe

]

Features a DynoHub generator and a locking front fork.

30 years ago I moved to a little town in Texas that grows a shitload of grass-burrs and goatheads, and it ended my bicycling.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
I used to ride quite a bit until a few years ago. Pinarello is my preferred bike, but I’m riding a Specialized Robeaux mostly now.

Thanks,
KPSquared

Posts: 805 | Location: Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an Al Specialized with Dura Ace components and had them put on this carbon frame. Modified the logos somewhat.

I also have an old Lightspeed Tuscany that I bought used for $1K that is my favorite, but I only ride it in WI in the summer.

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Currently ride a Trek hybrid Dual Sport 8.5 right now but I'm looking to get a Trek Domane SL6 road bike. Supply has been hard to come by, everyone decided to take up bike riding. Goal is to finish a century ride before next summer.

Posts: 13091 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Schwinn Orange Krate.

Got good use out of it on ice-storm days when school got cancelled. My ice-skater buddies would form up in a line, holding on to the waist of the skater in front.

I'd let the first in the line grab the steel loop on the back of the seat, and we'd head down the iced-up subdivision street, starting on a 1/3 mile straight section, but heading for a sudden hard right turn.

The bike had a wide, slick rear tire so I'd make it, just fine. As would the first couple people in the line, usually. But generally someone down the line would succumb to the centripetal force and the rest of the line would head off in wildly separate directions, laughing their heads off as Newtonian physics took over.

No adults in sight, and yet, we survived. Smile

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
The first bicycle I bought with mostly my own money was a Team Murray BMX style bike. I had never before seen such a bike style and was used to the banana seat style bikes. It was about 1980 and it was gold and silver. I sold all kinds of toys to buy that bike. I’m sure my parents helped me in the end. It was eventually stolen when we moved to East Boston. I never like East Boston. Surprising because my home town of Chelsea MA was even more of a shithole. I can’t find a picture of it.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12422 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Shoot. Those ain't bikes. This is a bike. 1954 Schwinn Panther. I had one exactly like it except it was green. Smile

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yes on the green/white color with a battery powered horn hidden in the fake tank with button on side of tank. Time frame 1959/1960. .....................drill sgt.

Posts: 1999 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
No pix yet. All road bikes.
First serious bike: Atala Professional Record bought 1971: Campagnolo Nuevo Record except brakes and hubs which are Phil Wood hubs.
Second serious bike: Trek 5500 with Shimano Ultegra group
Also: Santana Arriva, I forget the components.

I have hardly ridden the Trek even though it’s a wonderful bike, wide gear range, light-weight carbon frame, STI levers. Need someone to ride with to get me out there.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what it was. Some generic bike my dad paid $20 for back around 1948 or 9 and made me learn to ride. (I did, but the experience was traumatic for both of us--I was, and am, a klutz and he had little patience.) All I remember about it was that it had chromed fenders and was too big for me (26" wheels and I was only 4' 6" tall when I started high school 2 years later). There are no pictures--cameras and photographs were very expensive back then and there are very few photos of me (unlike today, when doting parents have photos of every second of their precious darlings' lives).

That is the only bicycle I've ever had. I traveled all over Detroit on its excellent bus system for most of my time there.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Retro. I had a Motobecane Grand Record with Campy components back in college in the early '80s. It got stolen, of course. Ann Arbor, FWIW.

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Road bike: 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Gravel bike: 1989 Specialized Rock Combo

Mountain Bike: 1988 or so Diamondback Ascent

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Current rides:
- ~1989 GT Pro Freestyle Tour Team model (what I'm most likely to be on and I bought it brand new in my 20s)
- ~1989 Bridgestone MB-1 mountain bike
- Davidson Handbuilt Bicycles road frame (white with 3-tone blue speckles with matching frame pump)

Past rides:
- Schwinn Skoot
- Raleigh 3-speed touring bike
- Raleigh 10-speed road bike
- Fuji 10-speed road bike
- SE Racing OM Flyer
- another single-speed cruiser bike (don't recall the brand)
- CW Racing freestyle (don't recall model)
- Redline RL-24 cruiser

Posts: 700 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't ride anymore, but I could see enjoying it again if I can keep trending downward another 50# or so! Smile

A friend of mine competed 10+ years back in BMX, had a couple signature frames named after him!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
1967 gold colored Schwinn Stingray 2 speed kick back gears activated by kicking back the pedals short of braking. The banana seat was bright white.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31422 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
My bikes as a youth until I was 16 were found in junk yards and rebuilt by me.. BMX frame and handlebars with wrong forks, and an old steel 10 speed with down tube shifters. At 16 my mom bought me a nice Centurion Le Mans 12 speed; I still have this bike, and it still fits. I am going to have it converted to be able to run the 700r series tires as finding 27 1/4 x 1 1/4 tires is difficult now.

My current bike is a 2013 Orbea Orca purchased new in January 2015 at cost from the local bike shop. 60 cm frame, but I have upgraded from the 10 speed groupset to an 11 speed Ultegra groupset, upgraded the wheels to Rolf Prima Vigor RS as they hold my weight, upgraded the saddle to a Selle SMP "Evolution", upgraded the bars to 46cm wide 35mm diameter Deda Elementi bars, changed the stem to a Deda stem to fit the bars, Stages power meter, Shimano Dura-Ace SPD +4mm pedals (clipless), and Maxxis 700R x 25mm tubeless tires. All in all about $5000.00 worth of bike. I have put over 3000 miles on it since I purchased it.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I almost forgot bout this gem.
JAD bikes. Juventus Di Martino.
Awesome idea.
Terrible customer service.
Bottom bracket was such an almost impossible find.
While the design was good, the main (only) tube flexed a lot.
It was like riding springy spaghetti noodles.
Two weeks and I sold the frame.

I forgot about this POS.

Not mine. Internet pic.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beancooker,

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post