SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What kind of bike (with pedals) do you, or did you ride? Post pics!!!
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of bike (with pedals) do you, or did you ride? Post pics!!! Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That’s a great looking gravel bike ugeesta. I have not ridden a full carbon gravel bike but I swapped out the chromoly steel fork on one of my gravel bikes for a carbon fork and the difference was huge. The chromoly steel is a smooth riding material but carbon surprised me with the way it flexed and absorbed minor bumps along the ride.

I ordered the last parts I needed to complete the Soma Juice build.

This Shimano crank set is compatible with a narrow-wide 32 tooth & 38 tooth chainring that I had as spares from other builds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

Keep an eye on Jenson’s website. They will run very good sales on shocks & forks fairly regularly.

I managed to pick up a Fox Factory racing 36 fork for a stupid good price during one of their sales. Cool My LBS let me borrow the tool to install the Star nut. Cutting down and sizing the fork wasn’t hard at all. I haven’t swapped a rear shock but if you have a decent torque wrench it shouldn’t be hard at all.

Thanks, I will. The Rockshox fork is pretty good so I will just need the rear shock and a tire upgrade to be ready for next summer.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Santa Cruz Tallboy. Bought it new in 2018 and love it. The bike is definitely more capable than I am.

Posts: 177 | Registered: May 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
bonanacroin, that’s a nice looking Santa Cruz! How much travel does it have?

NBD! I finished my 2017 Soma Juice frame build. It’s been monsoon season the last week and now the temp has dropped and the wind is gusting at 20+ mph so I don’t think I’ll get to try it out on the trails today.

I had originally planned to use a Fox 100mm fork and the light weight wheels off a bike I rarely ride. It would have looked a lot like the one pictured below but instead I went with a considerably heavier but stronger Rock Shox Recon 120mm fork and 29x2.6 tires. The longer travel fork alters the head tube angle 1° from 70° to 69°. Not a huge difference but a small improvement in my eyes.

I ended up building a bike that should be a lot of fun this winter and even be up for some trail riding in the snow if we get any.

I went with 200mm rotors front and back. Probably overkill but it matches my other trail bikes so it allows for potential parts swapping or converting it to a mullet bike. (29er front wheel 27.5 rear wheel)

The sliding drop outs allow for conversion to a single speed. It would really resemble a big BMX bike if I convert it to single speed and swap out the fork to one of my many spare 29er rigid chromoly forks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stickman! It’s 120 up front and 110 in the rear. A trail bike rather than a true downhill. Sweet setup on the Soma!

Posts: 177 | Registered: May 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I finally got a proper mountain bike helmet. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
That helmet is badass, Stickman. I always wanted. TLD helmet. It just was never in the budget when I was riding that hard.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Trek 820

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Both my wife and I ride Electra Townies, hers is a single speed cruiser, while mine is a three speed. We really like the design with the pedals forward.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I bought a Lectric foldable bike last fall. Haven't had much of a chance to ride her given the weather, but I did ride into town one night shortly after getting it and I loved it. Wish they'd have invented these things years ago.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Thanks Beancooker! My wife picked it out and surprised me. I send her a few helmets I liked and to my shock she got a great looking helmet that is crazy light and fits great.

Someone on a bike forum posted up a link to Fox factory 36 forks that usually cost $1069 but because they are 2021 model forks and for 27.5 they are on clearance for $285! Eek

I successfully ordered one on their website but it sold out fast. I hope I got my order in quick enough.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We have 2 Verve +3 Low Step e-bikes that we spent way too much on a year ago. After riding the Hiawatha Trail in NW Montana and moving to AZ, we decided to sell them. We need a newer golf cart.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Placed a deposit on a Giant Trance 27.5 today. It was a new bike but a 2021 model so I got it for a steal.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post

Going to be 60° this Saturday. Going to the bike park!

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
RyanP225, congrats! That’s a very good trail bike. I love the stealthy look of that Trance. I’ve had great luck with Giant. I have owned a few Giant Anthem XC bikes that served me great. The Trance is a more rowdy and fun bike compared to the Anthem. Enjoy!

In my experience 27.5 feels quite a bit more nimble compared to 29 but if you ride a lot of trails with plenty of rock and root filled sections the 29 definitely rolls over stuff better.

29ers are more popular right now but 27.5 is also a great tire size and tons of fun!! The best thing about the 29er popularity is the deals you can get on 27.5 bikes. I’ve been slowly upgrading the heck out of my chromoly Hardtail 27.5 enduro/trail bike. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Smile

I rode a 29er all last year and while it was a bit faster and more planted it just wasn't as fun or flickable as the 27.5's. I suppose if I were competing or more into downhill speed I'd be very satisfied with the larger wheels but I'm only in it for the fitness and fun.

I wish I could keep both but I need to replenish the funds I stole from savings.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Of course as soon as I complete a Soma Juice build after coming across a sweet deal on a size large Juice frame my holy grail hardtail bike pops up for sale.

I’ve been looking for one of these for two years. It’s the (now discontinued) gnarly, all mountain bike that’s built to take on anything and is arguably the essence of a BMX bike designed for life in the air but sized up to handle plus size 27.5 or 29 inch tires.

With radioactive snot green pearl paint and the hella creative name “Valhallen” (tip of the hat to Van Halen and Valhalla) and super thin, lightweight heat treated chromoly steel & an oversized down-tube this thing is a beast. From a company that primarily makes boutique commuter bikes this is their top shelf gravity oriented bike.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I've been wanting to reply to this thread with a picture but I just couldn't find one ...

... until today. I was so proud of this thing. A bicycle that looked like a motorcycle.

It had the working front forks in front and actual spring shocks on the back. Both of these features made it hard to pedal because any downward force was wasted into the spring action of the suspension. I won exactly zero bike races with it. However, the jumps I'd do were the best on the block.
I've never seen another like it or I'd probably buy it and try to ride it.

edit - I see I posted about it before:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
My bicycle looked like a dirt bike motorcycle. It had working front forks, dual rear shocks, a fake gas tank and a flat motorcycle seat. Even had a front number plate. I've never seen another and all my pics are lost.

I could never race anyone because the downward push on the pedals would be dampered by the suspension but it was the coolest bike on earth, man. I did make some really stupid jumps with it though.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Surrounded by
Fruit Loops
Picture of Baran
posted Hide Post
Fat City Cycles Yo Eddy, Somerville MA built with Time ATAC pedals. Rocky Mtn Element full suspension also with Time ATAC pedals.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Happy Valley, MA | Registered: November 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Thanks! Smile

I rode a 29er all last year and while it was a bit faster and more planted it just wasn't as fun or flickable as the 27.5's. I suppose if I were competing or more into downhill speed I'd be very satisfied with the larger wheels but I'm only in it for the fitness and fun.

I wish I could keep both but I need to replenish the funds I stole from savings.

Couldn't agree more with your take on the 29ers. I have two 29ers and my old 26" Stumpjumper. only one is super fun to ride. I'm going to sell one of my 29ers as well.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post