SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What kind of bike (with pedals) do you, or did you ride? Post pics!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of bike (with pedals) do you, or did you ride? Post pics!!! Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
That said, there is a lot of truth in engineering.

The standard bike double diamond is tried and true.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My first bike was a BMX style that was stolen from our backyard....after I mowed a buncha yards I got a Mongoose. (Circa 1980) then around 1983 I got a KIA ten speed, and if my mom knew where I went on that-she’d still beat me. Did t have a bike when I lived in the mountains of NC.....but I fixed that when I lived in Wilson. I currently have a Giant Simpel three speed cruiser bike that I stripped off the basket, fenders and extra crap.

I did ride a Trek police bike when I was a cop for a few years..then they did away with the bike team....but it was always funny to ride into a crowd of people not expecting the cops...hahahahaha good times. Throw your cuffs on to a few guys and call in a radio car for transport. Made a 12 hour shift go by fast.

It has a beer can holder though....I blaze around the neighborhood-not really as I’m 50 now....but I remember what it was like to have freedom...wish they had pegs back then.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
My bicycle looked like a dirt bike motorcycle. It had working front forks, dual rear shocks, a fake gas tank and a flat motorcycle seat. Even had a front number plate. I've never seen another and all my pics are lost.

I could never race anyone because the downward push on the pedals would be dampered by the suspension but it was the coolest bike on earth, man. I did make some really stupid jumps with it though.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I think I had that same bike, Mark!

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I haven't ridden in years but I used to ride a Trek 7000 with an Amp Research F2 suspension fork. The bike pictured was the final form, but over the 10 years I rode it I changed every part except the handlebar grips.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Gold colored Schwinn three speed with banana seat and ape hangers. Bike was stolen in Dallas around 1967. My mother and i then went to a Dallas city bike auction. I found another one like it but a beater. Stripped the brake cables and shift cables off. Put a 5/16 nut under the speed shift lever which kept it in the gear i used.
Man did that bike take me all over north Dallas and never let me down.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First serious bikes growing up we’re a Robinson SST, Redline and Giant MTB. Don’t know the model of either the Redline or Giant though... Took a long hiatus until I picked up a Trek 6000 26in MTB in 2009 and got much more into riding.

Current Stable:
  • Giant TCR - Custom road build, 15.6lbs! Replaced a Bianchi Oltre I cracked.
  • Giant Revolt 0 - Gravel grinder.
  • Giant Anthem Advanced Pro - Custom XC 29er build, essentially a Pro 0 without Fox LiveWire and with better wheels.
  • Evil Calling - Custom Trail/Enduro 650b fun bike.
  • Fatback Corvus - Winter/poor weather all carbon fat ride.
  • Trek 6000 - Threw on slick MTB tires and it’s my ‘around the neighborhood’ bike.
  • Nashbar CR4 - First road bike that now sits on a Kickr/Climb in the basement for the off-season.

Current excitement is the ‘21 WTP Envy that is enroute and should be here by end of the month!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ridja75,

Posts: 516 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Mine was a Western Flyer Supertank. I was king of the farm roads on that thing around 1957. Found this one on eBay listed for about $5k.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
I still have these, although they haven't been ridden in decades...

In the 80's I rode a Nishiki International and I converted it to half-step gearing. Did two Five-Boro tours (NYC) on it.

In the 90's I bought a Marin Eldridge Grade Mountain Bike - this was the white on with Dayglo pink accents and other Dayglo spatters on the frame and bars.

Age, neuropathy and balance have caught up with me, so I bought this a couple years ago...

Un fortunately, shortly after purchase I broke the thumb on my right hand, precluding me from shifting, steering or braking with that hand, so the trike got banished to the basement. The thumb has long ago healed, but the impetus to get out there and ride has waned. I keep saying "one day", but we all know what the road to hell is paved with.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1448 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Christmas 1959 - Raleigh 3-speed

Rode it to school 6th, 7th, & 8th grade.
Summer of 1960 rode from western edge of Portland, OR to the Oregon coast (Gearhart) with my best friend. We rode to the half way point and stayed overnight at the Elderberry Inn. About 75 miles one way. We got a ride home in a family friends Chevy pickup.

Posts: 3997 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid I rode a Schwinn Stingray.

Now I ride a Revi Cheetah E-Bike

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3456 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Specialized Diverge gravel bike on order. I am transitioning from trail running to gravel biking because of my knees.

Posts: 985 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
1990's Gios Compact Pro. Components: Shimano 105.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
doesn't anyone put baseball cards on the fork with a clothespin anymore to make it sound good?

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
For my 13th birthday in 1967, I got exactly what I asked for, a gold metallic Western Flyer Buzz Bike III.

In 1975 while a student at University of Missouri I got my first road bicycle that began a constant cycling hobby, a Centurian Super LeMans. While actually a touring bike, I rode it in 4 campus bicycle relay races, winning two and getting second twice. I also did an amateur road race on it, I think I got 5th.

In 1984 I got my dream racing bicycle, a Performance Bike shop Superbe. Lovely craftsmanship lugged steel of Tange #1 tubing, and a wonderful SunTour Superbe Pro groupset. I put at least a thousand miles a year on it for 30 years, and it is still ridden regularly when I'm in Madison. I've competed and won a small local triathlon on it, sometimes riding as team relay with a swimmer and runner. I rode it last week and it rides as well as when I got it. It is original except for tires, chain, bar tape, rear rim and spokes, and freewheel. A more durable and reliable bicycle I can hardly imagine.

One day I met a pair of cyclists and one of them was beaming about her new Trek. It was flat black with black components. I looked down at my red metallic steel bike flashy chrome and polished aluminum components, and suddenly realized I was a steel is real vintage bike fan. I now have a few lovely old racers of Reynolds 531 and Columbus tubing from just about every countries where fine bikes were produced, including: France, England, Italy, Canada, USA, Taiwan, and Japan. Brands include: Carlton, Guerciotti, Peugeot PX10, Marinoni, KHS Turbo, Trek and Santana tandems, and a custom with a custom frame by a US builder.

My favorite bike is a fixed gear that I ride except when it is windy. I bought the frame only because it was cheap and I liked the workmanship. The frame is top of the line Trek racing frame from 1980, a 750 Pro Race. It is a beautiful hand made frame with Cinelli bottom bracket shell and fork crown. The frame is magic and perfect. Even though it has semi vertical Shimano rear drop outs, I used a magic gear calculation to determine a chain length and gearing allowing fixed gear use. I built the wheels with Mavic Open Pro rims and Phil Wood track hubs. Saddle is leather Selle Anatomica, seat post vintage Dura Ace, Shimano 600 levers and a 10 speed Campagnolo Record front caliper. Stronglite track crank and EAI deluxe cog. It's butter and I miss it when I can't ride it. I usually ride the Marinoni when I can't ride the Trek, like yesterday when it was blowing like stink.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
The first bike I really wanted was a PUCH BMX bike that I saw in BMX Plus while mom shopped for groceries. I ended up with a Rampar R10 with Tuff II wheels. I still have it hanging in my garage much to my wifes chagrin.

The bike I wanted growing up in the late 70's and early 80's was a PK Ripper! That bike was and remains so awesome in my mind still.

HK Ag

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
Your bmx pic reminded me of an old mountain bike from back in the day (not mine).

I remember when that came out. The design was a unique suspension system that quickly failed to attract any real attention.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzzleloader:
Metallic purple Schwin banana bike. Sorry no pics. Cell phones were not even imagined yet(45years ago?)

I had one of those,

it was found behind an Aunt's house in the city, and when the police were called, they could not find a stolen bike report for it so I got it,

then a Sears 10 spd in high school,

later I bought a Schwinn Le Tour Luxe and rode it for 5 yrs or so then went mountian bike and bought a Specialized Rock Hopper,

that I have not rode in 5+ years

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Ridley Helium SL with SRAM group. 17 pounds. Don’t ride it enough. Typically a training bike for 12-20 miles at a 16 mph pace.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Here is my bike that I pedal a lot of miles every week at my job. Sure beats walking or pushing a toolbox around a huge factory.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post