SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Route 91 fest Vegas shooting?
Page 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 87

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Route 91 fest Vegas shooting? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Yikes! Removed until reported other known sites.

My apologies

Posts: 89 | Location: North Texas | Registered: August 07, 2012Report This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
The security guard messed up his plans as he didn’t want to start shooting yet. But he had to, as the guard approached.

Then he’s panicked and pissed off his position was given up.

So he grabs the hammer and realizes that it’s an absolute bitch trying to break through the thick glassed windows.

All in all, it took him six minutes to started shooting at the crowd after he initially shot the guard.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Report This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:

So he grabs the hammer and realizes that it’s an absolute bitch trying to break through the thick glassed windows.

All in all, it took him six minutes to started shooting at the crowd after he initially shot the guard.

That was a question I had been meaning to ask. I know that glass is thick and tough. And I can see where it might be hard to break, even with a hammer. So why didn't he just shoot it? How tough is that glass? What happens when a .308 round hits it from 25 feet away?

Posts: 2291 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Its crazy that in the videos some people are running and screaming and the others are meandering around like nothing is happening and what does it take to get someone to stop using their phone? If phones had been around when Mt. Vesuvius rained fire and ash down on Pompeii, we'd have thousands of perfectly preserved statues, trying to update facebook one last time.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
The security guard messed up his plans as he didn’t want to start shooting yet. But he had to, as the guard approached.

Then he’s panicked and pissed off his position was given up.

I don’t recall ever being in the Mandalay Bay, but I have stayed quite a few times at Bellagio and other of the larger hotels. It can take most of 6 minutes to walk from the lobby, up the elevator and out a wing to an end room.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Uh oh. The "security guard" is not registered on the Nevada registry. He might be in a little trouble, and the hotel for hiring him. Or, he's not a security guard.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Report This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Uh oh. The "security guard" is not registered on the Nevada registry. He might be in a little trouble, and the hotel for hiring him. Or, he's not a security guard.

There's the second gunman you've all been looking for!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Report This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
If the info is now correct, there were shots fired at two employees, one was hit, and there was no 911 call, then MGM Resorts might as well open their vaults to those two employees and the 22,000 people or surviving family from the concert.

Posts: 2291 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
If the info is now correct, there were shots fired at two employees, one was hit, and there was no 911 call, then MGM Resorts might as well open their vaults to those two employees and the 22,000 people or surviving family from the concert.

I just don't know where you guys come up with this nonsense. Everyone always leaves out the human factor in these events when talking after the fact. You seem to expect instantaneous reaction to information being received that is extremely out of the ordinary and which may take a little bit of time to process, figure out exactly what's going, and react.

I'm reminded of the movie Sully where the investigators were skeptical of the pilot's actions until they considered the human factor. And in any case, it doesn't seem like we have near enough credible information on the timeline yet to make any definitive judgments.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I watched the interview with the maintenance guy live. He stated that he took cover in the entry alcove of a guest suite door as the shooter sprayed rounds into the hallway. He stated that he immediately called out on the radio that he and the security guard were being shot at on the 32nd floor where he had been dispatched. I am not sure what "human factor" would prevent someone on that radio system from dialing 911 to immediately report a shooter on the property.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Its crazy that in the videos some people are running and screaming and the others are meandering around like nothing is happening and what does it take to get someone to stop using their phone?

In some of the videos, there are people actively trying to convince others to stop fleeing. "Don't worry... It's just fireworks. Stop running."

People react differently in stressful/violent situations. Denial is not uncommon, especially in situations like this where the source/extent of the threat is uncertain.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I'm w TXJIM on this one.

You can listen to the recording when the maintenance person says "Call the police. Someone's firing a gun up here. Someone's firing a rifle on the 32nd floor down the hallway."

you can hear the gunshots

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyl...an-s-rampage-n809726

another source for the audio recording

http://abcnews.go.com/US/quest...re/story?id=50427462

"Security wants to know if you know a room"

"it doesn't seem like we have near enough credible information on the timeline yet to make any definitive judgments."

that is true. Not making "definitive judgments". Just observing very conflicting reports that by 11 days after the shooting should be resolved.

However, it is very disturbing that ABC reported the FBI thought the time line was off and had the guard brought back for another interview. Sheriff Lombardo had let Campos leave town.

We haven't seen any interviews w Campos yet.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The human factor would be the people hearing the radio call and looking at each other asking "what did he say? A man with a rifle?" And then radioing back to clarify while at the same time getting a supervisor or someone higher up. Maybe then the engineer didn't radio back right away to clarify because well, he's being shot at. We're talking minutes here right?

By the way, was 911 ever called by the hotel?

Seems there is still a lot we don't know. But what I'm reading here makes me think some people expect immediate, instantaneous, perfect reaction to an extra-ordinary event. Most people don't operate that way.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its crazy that in the videos some people are running and screaming and the others are meandering around like nothing is happening

quote:
People react differently in stressful/violent situations. Denial is not uncommon,

Some people are calm and rational during emergencies. They understand that freaking out is more likely to get them or others injured or killed.

The ones running around like chickens with their heads cut off? Those are the ones that you want to avoid.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
quote:

earlier post:

An ABC reporter on the video asks Assistant Sheriff Roberts if there was a call and Roberts says they may have been in the "process of creating that event but it didn't quite get out to everybody".

Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Here is a probable time line. Two employees are in the hallway, one is hit by gunfire and they radio it in. The first supervisor asks the two employees are they absolutely sure and to confirm it. Meanwhile he/she looks in the MGM policy/procedure manual which reads "NO BAD Publicity! What Happens in Vegas and on MGM Properties, stays in Vegas until our in house corporate counsel advises us what to do." First supervisor punts it up to the next line supervisor, who calls the main supervisor who is off site.....6 minutes pass and scumbag starts his shooting rampage.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
quote:
An ABC reporter on the video asks Assistant Sheriff Roberts if there was a call and Roberts says they may have been in the "process of creating that event but it didn't quite get out to everybody".
Why do so many people have such great difficulty in speaking plainly?

Drop the convolutions and the police-speak crap and answer yes-or-no questions with freaking yes or no!

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:

I know that glass is thick and tough. And I can see where it might be hard to break, even with a hammer. So why didn't he just shoot it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDK9aKu0O9A

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
What would Gary Coleman be in?

Over his head?

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

Some people are calm and rational during emergencies. They understand that freaking out is more likely to get them or others injured or killed.

The ones running around like chickens with their heads cut off? Those are the ones that you want to avoid.

I read a book which mentioned peoples' reactions during the Boston Marathon bombing. Some panicked and ran. Some just sat there, shocked into inaction. Others 'ran towards the sound of the guns.'

One really doesn't know how they will react until they experience such an event.

Now, the ones standing around getting phone videos are just stupid. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post