SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency
Page 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 522

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency Login/Join 
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Just heard Trump will decide on a supreme court justice this weekend to be announced next week. Since the republicans have used the nuclear option. Can they go nuclear with the supreme court as well to avoid having to find ten votes from the democrats to get the justice approved?

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Report This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
Just heard Trump will decide on a supreme court justice this weekend to be announced next week. Since the republicans have used the nuclear option. Can they go nuclear with the supreme court as well to avoid having to find ten votes from the democrats to get the justice approved?

I don't think so. I believe supremes require 60 or more votes.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Will be a real test for Schumer. Can he keep 8 DEMs from voting for the nominee.

McConnell in a recent interview was emphatic the SC nominee will be approved.

Right now w the Senate rules as they are, we need 60 senate votes to confirm SC nominee.

If McConnell can't get those 8 DEMs, will he change the rules ? I expect McConnell is working hard to get the votes he needs w/o rule change.

in other news,

http://hotair.com/archives/201...e-wont-be-happening/

That big CDC climate change conference… won’t be happening

With little warning or explanation, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently canceled a major climate change conference that had been scheduled for next month in Atlanta.

The Climate and Health Summit, which had been in the works for months, was intended as a chance for public health officials around the country to learn more about the mounting evidence of the risks to human health posed by the changing climate. But CDC officials abruptly canceled the conference before President Trump’s inauguration, sending a terse email on Jan. 9 to those who had been scheduled to speak at the event. The message did not explain the reason behind the decision.

“Unfortunately, we are unable to hold the Summit in February 2017,” CDC officials wrote, adding that the agency is “currently exploring” whether it could reschedule the event later in the year.

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Democrats can filibuster a vote on the nominee, it would still only require a simple majority to confirm, but you have to get past the filibuster to end debate first - which requires 60 votes. Yes, the Republicans could go nuclear and change the rules so that a simple majority is required to end debate. They don't want to have to go there, but may have to.

GOP could nuke filibuster for Supreme Court nominees

The word is that Neil M. Gorsuch from the 10th Circuit is the leader right now.

Conservative Colorado judge emerges as a top contender to fill Scalia's Supreme Court seat

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
If I was director of the Secret Service she would be placed on administrative leave, investigation would commence and either criminal or administrative actions or both would follow.

Posts: 2775 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
How is Neil M. Gorsuch on gun control? Does he value the second amendment as it was orginaly written and intended?

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Maybe this would help with the nomination/confirmation process:

Nominee goes to committee where a simple majority vote from the committee sends the nomination to the floor of the Senate for debate.

The Senate debates the nominee on the floor. To end the debate (cloture) and allow the Senate to vote on the nominee, either party can filibuster the vote to end debate. If either party filibustered the motion to end debate, it would require 60 votes to end the debate and send the nominee up for a vote. At this point, no one is voting yes or no on the nominee, just to end the debate and have the whole Senate vote.

At this point the entire Senate votes on the nominee and a simple majority is required to confirm.

That's how someone could vote to end the debate, but then vote against the nominee, which does happen frequently.

The Republicans can change Senate rules to require a simple majority to end debate like the dems did for all other federal appointments. They don't want to do this because obviously they know that they will one day be in the minority again.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by still_bill:
reassign to the north shore of Alaska. She can count polar bears.

Reassign her to guard the Obama's. I bet she would take a bullet for Zippy.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The Democrats no longer understand Commander in Chief. Roll Eyes They are a looney tunes party.

Democrats introduce bill to restrict Trump's ability to launch nukes

http://www.washingtonexaminer....ukes/article/2612848

Two Democratic lawmakers introduced a bill on Tuesday that would prevent President Trump from launching a nuclear first strike without Congress declaring war.

A joint press release from Sen. Edward Markey, D-Mass., and Rep. Ted Lieu, D-Calif., said that overseeing the policy of nuclear first use is "more urgent than ever now that President Trump has the power to launch a nuclear war at a moment's notice."

"It is a frightening reality that the U.S. now has a commander-in-chief who has demonstrated ignorance of the nuclear triad, stated his desire to be 'unpredictable' with nuclear weapons, and as president-elect was making sweeping statements about U.S. nuclear policy over Twitter," Lieu said in a statement.

The bill would prevent the president from launching a nuclear weapon against an enemy who had not launched a nuclear weapon first unless Congress passes a war authorization that explicitly authorizes a nuclear first strike.

The president has the sole authority to launch a nuclear weapon through a process devoid of checks and balances, in order to enable a quick response to a possible nuclear attack. If the president orders the launch of a nuclear weapon and someone within the chain of command questioned or defied the order, that would be grounds for dismissal, experts said.

During the campaign, Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton questioned whether voters wanted someone as unpredictable as Trump to have the ability to launch a nuclear weapon.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Kerry O'Grady, the special agent in charge of the Secret Service's Denver district, posted on social-media she wouldn't want to "take a bullet" for him.

O'Grady currently massively back pedaling.

http://www.washingtonexaminer....rump/article/2612814

A senior U.S. Secret Service agent posted social-media condemnations of President Trump during the past seven months, including one in which she said she wouldn't want to "take a bullet" for him.

She explained herself saying she viewed his presidential candidacy as a "disaster" for the country, and especially for women and minorities.

Kerry O'Grady, the special agent in charge of the Secret Service's Denver district, oversees coordination with Washington-based advance teams for all presidential candidate and presidential trips to the area, including all upcoming or future trips by the president, vice president or Trump administration officials.

Despite her senior security role, she has made her disdain for Trump and his incoming administration clear to her Facebook followers, who included current and former Secret Service agents and other people who were employees at the time of the posts.

In one Facebook post O'Grady wrote at 11:07 p.m. on a Sunday in October, she endorsed Clinton and said she would endure "jail time" rather than "taking a bullet" for what she regarded as a "disaster" for America.

The post didn't mention Trump by name but clearly referred to him

"But this world has changed and I have changed. And I would take jail time over a bullet or an endorsement for what I believe to be disaster to this country and the strong and amazing women and minorities who reside here. Hatch Act be damned. I am with Her."

In a lengthy interview with the Examiner Monday, O'Grady says she took down the post after two to three days of greater reflection and wasn't trying to imply she wouldn't take a bullet for Trump or any officials in the Trump administration.

"It was an internal struggle for me but as soon as I put it up, I thought it was not the sentiment that I needed to share because I care very deeply about the mission," she said.

O'Grady repeatedly stressed that she would in no way shirk her duties to protect the president because of her opposition to Trump's candidacy and support for Clinton.

O'Grady posted the logo for the women's March on Denver as her Facebook cover backdrop on Inauguration Day, Friday, Jan. 21 at 12:25 p.m.

When one of her Facebook followers commented that "none of these women represent me #justsayin," O'Grady countered that "all of these women represent me! Proud to say it! #nasty." That back and forth, captured in a screengrab of the post, no longer appears on O'Grady's Facebook page.

At 11:23 p.m. on Inauguration Day, she updated her profile picture to an artist's rendering of Princess Leia with the words, "A woman's place is in the resistance."

she shouldn't be in the secret service

Trump is not the type to waste talent. He should transfer to currancy division, hell even give her a promotion as the head of the middle east currency fraud division in Jedda. Make it a 10 year assignment.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
The Democrats no longer understand Commander in Chief. Roll Eyes They are a looney tunes party.

Democrats introduce bill to restrict Trump's ability to launch nukes

http://www.washingtonexaminer....ukes/article/2612848

Two Democratic lawmakers introduced a bill on Tuesday that would prevent President Trump from launching a nuclear first strike without Congress declaring war.

A joint press release from Sen. Edward Markey, D-Mass., and Rep. Ted Lieu, D-Calif., said that overseeing the policy of nuclear first use is "more urgent than ever now that President Trump has the power to launch a nuclear war at a moment's notice."

"It is a frightening reality that the U.S. now has a commander-in-chief who has demonstrated ignorance of the nuclear triad, stated his desire to be 'unpredictable' with nuclear weapons, and as president-elect was making sweeping statements about U.S. nuclear policy over Twitter," Lieu said in a statement.

The bill would prevent the president from launching a nuclear weapon against an enemy who had not launched a nuclear weapon first unless Congress passes a war authorization that explicitly authorizes a nuclear first strike.

The president has the sole authority to launch a nuclear weapon through a process devoid of checks and balances, in order to enable a quick response to a possible nuclear attack. If the president orders the launch of a nuclear weapon and someone within the chain of command questioned or defied the order, that would be grounds for dismissal, experts said.

During the campaign, Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton questioned whether voters wanted someone as unpredictable as Trump to have the ability to launch a nuclear weapon.

Almost certainly unconstitutional.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
How is Neil M. Gorsuch on gun control? Does he value the second amendment as it was orginaly written and intended?

There is a good profile on SCOTUSBLOG:
http://www.scotusblog.com/2017...rofile-neil-gorsuch/

Not much on cases involving guns, but a little in that article. He is seen as being very close to Scalia in being a textualist and a clear writer.

quote:
Another area in which Gorsuch has written persuasively in a manner that closely echoes Scalia relates to how to interpret criminal laws correctly, so as to avoid criminalizing potentially innocent conduct. One of Gorsuch’s most notable opinions in this area also happens to overlap with the hot-button issue of gun ownership — although the case is not about the Second Amendment, and doesn’t involve anything like the typical gun-rights groups.

A federal criminal law prohibits the knowing possession of a gun by a felon. This law has given rise to a debate about how best to read its limitation to “knowing” violations: Does it apply whenever a felon knowingly possesses a gun, or must violators also know that they have been convicted of a felony? This matters, because lots of minor crimes might technically be felonies, and lots of dispositions that seem inconsequential (because they involve no jail time) might technically be felony convictions. And the penalties for violating this law can be very high. In United States v. Games-Perez, in 2012, Gorsuch urged the 10th Circuit to review its rule holding that it is enough to support a conviction that the defendant knew he possessed the gun, whether or not he knew he was a felon. The opinion is an example of Gorsuch’s strong commitment to textualism, and a severe critique of using legislative history — particularly to make criminal what might otherwise be innocent. Accordingly, it is easy to hear clear echoes of Scalia’s views regarding the proper reading of statutes — especially criminal statutes — as well as the importance of focusing on ordinary usage and linguistic rules.

- John Adams

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Kerry O'Grady, the special agent in charge of the Secret Service's Denver district, posted on social-media she wouldn't want to "take a bullet" for him.

O'Grady currently massively back pedaling.

There's only one explanation how such a person reached that level of employment in the Secret Service, and it has nothing to do with qualifications.

She should be removed from that post immediately. There's absolutely no way President Trump could have any confidence in that woman after what she said.

Removed from that post, or find an individual she would 'take a bullet for' and post both her and that individual on a long-term assignment to Syria. Wink

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Report This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Report This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kerry O'Grady, the special agent in charge of the Secret Service's Denver district, oversees coordination with Washington-based advance teams for all presidential candidate and presidential trips to the area, including all upcoming or future trips by the president, vice president or Trump administration officials.

Not anymore, if the USSS takes itself seriously.

quote:
Despite her senior security role, she has made her disdain for Trump and his incoming administration clear to her Facebook followers, who included current and former Secret Service agents and other people who were employees at the time of the posts.

Highly professional, that. Makes me wonder how she got to the management position she was in at the time she made those statements. This can't be the first time she's acted in an unprofessional manner.

quote:
In one Facebook post O'Grady wrote at 11:07 p.m. on a Sunday in October, she endorsed Clinton and said she would endure "jail time" rather than "taking a bullet" for what she regarded as a "disaster" for America.

Your job is to protect the office, not the person. The office is provided for in the Constitution. That oath you swore is not a sorority chant. You don't just get to protect who you like. If you don't want to do the job you're being paid to do, then you should resign. Otherwise, you're stealing or worse.

You're worse than people who make lots of money and don't pay their taxes. At least when someone evades taxes, other people don't risk death. Also, someone would have to evade a huge amount to owe the gov't what you're soaking up as a SAC.

quote:
The post didn't mention Trump by name but clearly referred to him

"But this world has changed and I have changed. And I would take jail time over a bullet or an endorsement for what I believe to be disaster to this country and the strong and amazing women and minorities who reside here. Hatch Act be damned. I am with Her."

How about you change by taking a job you want and leave the security of this nation to true professionals?

quote:
In a lengthy interview with the Examiner Monday, O'Grady says she took down the post after two to three days of greater reflection and wasn't trying to imply she wouldn't take a bullet for Trump or any officials in the Trump administration.

"It was an internal struggle for me but as soon as I put it up, I thought it was not the sentiment that I needed to share because I care very deeply about the mission," she said.

Would you want someone on your security detail that had an "internal struggle" about protecting you? Would you want someone in your command who had an "internal struggle" about the mission?

Oh, BTW, when you posted your lack of commitment on Facebook your internal struggle became an external one: it's not just your problem, it's not just the USSS's problem, now it's America's problem.

quote:
O'Grady repeatedly stressed that she would in no way shirk her duties to protect the president because of her opposition to Trump's candidacy and support for Clinton.

Yeah, a little too late for that. Next time you see a job opening for "Head of Campus Security" don't turn it down.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LDD,

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Report This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I would bet she will be looking for a new job very soon.

quote:
Highly professional, that. Makes me wonder how she got to the management position she was in at the time she made those statements. This can't be the first time she's acted in an unprofessional manner.

USSS is a very male dominated organization. Wonder if her being a women helped push promotions instead of merit.

quote:

She should have been toast after that comment. USSS are supposed to be apolitical. It's part of why they sign up for. It's one thing to say things around family and friend but on a public site is a big no-no from my understanding.

quote:

Sure she says that now looking at the loss of a good pension and other benefits from retiring from the USSS.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
when Elijah Cummings says your attack against Trump "didn’t seem professional", you know you screwed up

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...-anti-trump-attacks/

On Monday, the director of the Office of Government Ethics, Obama donor Walter Shaub, Jr., was admonished by a bipartisan group of Congressmen for using his non-partisan office as a platform to attack President Donald J. Trump.

Lawmakers from both parties criticized Shaub for using his official Twitter account and otherwise making comments attacking Trump over his plans to settle ethics concerns with his connections to his business empire.

Early in January, Shaub attacked Trump’s plans to satisfy ethics concerns as “wholly inadequate.” In further comments, Shaub demanded that Trump completely divest from his businesses.

Utah Republican Representative Jason Chaffetz, chairman of the House Oversight Committee, reported that Shaub was an Obama donor. The ethics official gave $250 to Obama’s 2012 re-election campaign, according to donor records.

Chaffetz called Shaub’s comments “highly unethical.”

Even Maryland Democrat Representative Elijah Cummings said he was troubled by Shaub’s misuse of his office.

“When he did that, it didn’t seem professional,” Cummings said after the committee met with Shaub.

Chaffetz said he felt Shaub got the message being sent by both Democrats and Republicans that his actions were untoward. For his part, Shaub insisted that the meeting was “extremely useful.”

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:

Great post. Smile Even in the private sector, if your boss sees you tweeting shit about him, you'll get the boot.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I'm sure in true Libtard fashion, Ms. O'Grady has ZERO remorse for WHAT she said...her remorse stems from the fact that she got CAUGHT. We all know what she can eat a bag of. Just sayin'.....

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

I think that is grounds for her to lose her security clearance. FIRED!

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post