SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Whats in your glass tonight??? Part(?)
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 298
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats in your glass tonight??? Part(?) Login/Join 
A Watchful Guardian
Picture of badkarma56
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ardbeg:

Nice BK.

Mind posting a couple tasting notes on that?

Certainly, ardbeg. Wink

"Tasting Notes by BK"

Laphroaig 18 (48% ABV, non-chill filtered).

On the Nose: Pleasantly fragrant and expansive. Like most Laphroaig expressions, this is a substantial malt. Not as pungent as their younger offerings, but still smoky, peaty and slightly medicinal (no surprise). Subtle hints of wood, chocolate and coffee.

On the Palate: Oily, salty and peppery, but also very reserved (it evolves gradually in the glass). Spicy peat with slightly sweet hints of licorice, almonds and raisins. Ahhh, that lovely smoke also titillates your taste buds! All in all, it's a malt with a very robust and mature flavor.

The Finish: Long and elaborate, the peat and licorice flavors persist. In sum, complex and full of character.

quote:
Originally posted by aileron:

Excellent choice! I'm working down a bottle of Lagavulin 16 but when it's time to replenish the Scotch inventory I'm gonna get some of this 18 to augment the Laphrhoig 10. Shitty podunk Montana State run liquor store doesn't carry much variety, but it's still 100X better than my past 30 years in Kommiefornia.

It was Bowmore 15 "Darkest" for me last night.

Good call, aileron. I reckon you'll enjoy this fine whisky. Cool

Slàinte,

-BK

"If it's all the same to you, I'd really prefer to visit the range."

Posts: 7980 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
A big glass of Darigold eggnog with some E&J brandy in it. Followed by some brandy with brandy in it.

Posts: 9981 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I swung by the Millersburg Brewery and filled one of my Growlers with their OctoberFest.
A 1/2 gallon later and I have to say it has more bitterness on the finish than I care for but if you like Octoberfests & you like Hopps this is right up your alley!
6.8% ABV

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Finishing up the last of the summer wheat beer stash. Next stop: Oktoberfest!

Posts: 32549 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ardbeg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by badkarma56:
quote:
Originally posted by ardbeg:

Nice BK.

Mind posting a couple tasting notes on that?

Certainly, ardbeg. Wink

-BK

Thanks BK, much obliged.

Even though my handle is ardbeg, I am a fan of most Islays and have a special affinity for Laphroaig as well. (One of these days I will make it over there and stand on my square foot of their peat bog)

If you ever get a chance to buy a Murray McDavid bottling of Laphroaig called Leapfrog don't hesitate. I believe it was an 87 bottling that was 14-16 years old but still had an abundance of those amazing laphraoig phenolics.

We really need a Guns and Scotch logo like the guns and coffee one everyone has been pitching lately. :-)

_________
There once was a man from Nantucket...

Posts: 1347 | Location: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Finishing up the last of the summer wheat beer stash. Next stop: Oktoberfest!

Just drank some of their Vitus at a local brew pub/pizza joint.

Damn tasty and like 7.7% Eek

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2919 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ardbeg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
quote:
Originally posted by badkarma56:
Laphroaig 18. Cool

-BK

Excellent choice! I'm working down a bottle of Lagavulin 16 but when it's time to replenish the Scotch inventory I'm gonna get some of this 18 to augment the Laphrhoig 10. Shitty podunk Montana State run liquor store doesn't carry much variety, but it's still 100X better than my past 30 years in Kommiefornia.

It was Bowmore 15 "Darkest" for me last night.

What are your thoughts on the Darkest? It was definitely interesting, but seemed surprisingly floral to me. I still have half a bottle floating around the collection somewhere. I will need to revisit it.

_________

Posts: 1347 | Location: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ardbeg
posted Hide Post
That sounds tasty.

I am a big fan of the Drink Beer Made Here campaign. I will have to settle for Great Lakes Oktoberfest in my neck of the woods though.

quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
I swung by the Millersburg Brewery and filled one of my Growlers with their OctoberFest.
A 1/2 gallon later and I have to say it has more bitterness on the finish than I care for but if you like Octoberfests & you like Hopps this is right up your alley!
6.8% ABV

_________

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Harpoon Octoberfest (distict fail), Lagunitas Maximus, Bear Republic Rye Ale.

The Vitus was voted the best beer in the world. Some years ago Lagunitas did a partnership with Weihenstephaner to make a beer called Doppelweizen.

The Doppelweizen, in my opinion, was the best beer in the world. Better than Vitus. I believe the flavor of Vitus has changed after that collaboration and is now similar to the Doppelweizen. Anyways, Prost!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5967 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or. My favorite Scotch.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5581 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
what it tastes like to me: (makes skunky face) Smile

quote:
Laphroaig 18 (48% ABV, non-chill filtered).

On the Nose: smoky, peaty, woody, and medicinal.

On the Palate: Oily, salty and peppery, Spicy peat with licorice.

The Finish: peat and licorice.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Colonel E.H. Taylor Small Batch.

It is good. Damn good. Currently finishing the last of 3 bottles found at a local party store.

I don't know what to do with myself after this though. I might just have to get a new hobby like actually shooting the SIGs that I own or something. Razz

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Watchful Guardian
Picture of badkarma56
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

what it tastes like to me: (makes skunky face) Smile

Laphroaig 18 is the nectar of the gods, baby.

-BK

Posts: 7980 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC:
Colonel E.H. Taylor Small Batch.

It is good. Damn good. Currently finishing the last of 3 bottles found at a local party store.

I don't know what to do with myself after this though. I might just have to get a new hobby like actually shooting the SIGs that I own or something. Razz

the Single Barrel and Barrel Strength expressions are quite good too.

I picked up several bottles of the Barrel Strength a few months back as it's my favorite from the Taylor line.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I've never been able to enjoy Scotch.
And it's certainly not for the lack of trying.
It's the overwhelming flavor of the peat that they smoke the grain with.
I'd like to try one that has the lightest hint of peat that I can find.
But then I think, " why drink Scotch if I'm avoiding the signature flavor?" .

Any ideas or should I just stick to my Bourbon?

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Watchful Guardian
Picture of badkarma56
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:

...Any ideas or should I just stick to my Bourbon?

Different strokes, amigo. I happen to love the peat and smoke, but drink what you like. If that's Bourbon, so be it. Wink

FWIW, if you'd like to try some milder/unpeated Scotch whisky just for kicks, there's some Lowland/Highland single malts that you might appreciate (Glengoyne and Auchentoshan spring to mind). Additionally, Springbank (a Campbeltown distillery) produces an unpeated malt called Hazelburn.

-BK

Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
El Dorado 12 year rum!

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

A refreshing forum favorite Big Grin, along with the NAA I purchased after reading the recent thread about them.

Posts: 343 | Location: Bardstown, Ky | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:

Samual Smith's Imperial Stout.

I prefer their Oatmeal Stout (not my picture):

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post