SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting
Page 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 97

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting Login/Join 
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Actually, the Chief of Coral Springs PD had some harsh words for the Sheriff. None of the sheriffs deputies even went in after others arrived to help clear the buildings or help look for people that might need help or medical attention.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:

...What Mr. Pollack focuses on-- and chews out little sissy Wallace about-- is what can we do, right now, to make schools safer? It's an approach we all should take when confronting the gun grabbers who are politicizing this horror for their own agenda. We should confront them directly: You don't really want to make schools safer, do you? Because arguing about "gun control" won't do one thing today, or next week, or next month, to make one school safer. Armed guards in schools would make schools safer, as they make ever venue where they are employed safer: federal buildings, court houses, airports. Armed teachers would make schools safer. Professionally designed entrance/access systems would make schools safer...

There is some hope for Mike Wallace. At the end of Fox News Sunday there's a panel discussion, he agreed with Kimberly Strassel that hardening schools is one thing we can do NOW. He reminded the sniveling black former Congress lady that banning ARs - she said AUTOMATIC multiple times - is not going to happen, why not do something that WILL work?

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing that parents stepping up and parenting their children so that they understand that hitting, cutting, stabbing, shooting other people is wrong and NEVER the answer is not on the list of things we can do right now?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is the quote prominently posted on the Broward County superintendent's page which should tell you all you need to know:

Superintendent's Corner

"The battle for quality education is the social justice cause of our time. If you believe that every child has the right to a quality education, then there is no more important work than providing the right leadership to dramatically transform public education in this country."
- Superintendent Robert W. Runcie

-Dtech, thanks for posting that.

See... there's the problem:
If you believe that every child has "the right" to a quality education,... I think you have a mistaken notion of rights and where they come from.

I believe that rights are natural, inherent, and God-given. My rights do not impose a burden on others. If you believe that education is "a right" and that health care is "a right" you are imposing a burden on others to provide it.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
I'd like to know who he was on the phone with...
Was he told not to engage?

I couldn’t care less who he was on the phone with. If he had a pair, he should have made a quick radio call telling what he knew and that he was on his way in. He obviously didn’t have any sand.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Report This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Their names should not be mentioned. Their photos should not be displayed. The absolutely stupid question-- "Why did he do it?"-- should not be raised. ("Because he is a fucking monster" is the answer. End of story.)

Agree with all the above except the part about the why. If several reports about psychotropic drugs being a common factor in almost all School shootings are correct that should be aired out in public and changes made.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Here is the quote prominently posted on the Broward County superintendent's page which should tell you all you need to know:

Superintendent's Corner

"The battle for quality education is the social justice cause of our time. If you believe that every child has the right to a quality education, then there is no more important work than providing the right leadership to dramatically transform public education in this country."
- Superintendent Robert W. Runcie

-Dtech, thanks for posting that.

See... there's the problem:
If you believe that every child has "the right" to a quality education,... I think you have a mistaken notion of rights and where they come from.

I believe that rights are natural, inherent, and God-given. My rights do not impose a burden on others. If you believe that education is "a right" and that health care is "a right" you are imposing a burden on others to provide it.

this is another gift of the "school to prison pipeline" nonsense of the ever increasing number of activists. complex issues dont have simple solutions, and if you give a government agency incentive to fiddle with numbers...they will ALWAYS do it.
not to much of a thread drift...but i saw this on hbo this weekend...and was not very sympathetic:
notes from the field

the obama guidance on school discipline has to go. link
"So, the Obama administration issued federal guidance putting school districts on notice that even if their discipline policy was “neutral on its face” and “administered in an evenhanded manner,” they could be subject to a federal civil rights investigation if minorities were suspended at a higher rate."

no way this could possibly lead to unchecked pathologies and severe issues with keeping faculty, and the student body safe....

Posts: 775 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Their names should not be mentioned. Their photos should not be displayed. The absolutely stupid question-- "Why did he do it?"-- should not be raised. ("Because he is a fucking monster" is the answer. End of story.)

Agree with all the above except the part about the why. If several reports about psychotropic drugs being a common factor in almost all School shootings are correct that should be aired out in public and changes made.

Well, the people who are on these drugs are on them for a reason, that being that they are somewhat screwed up in the head to begin with.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
There is some hope for Mike Wallace.

You are an optimistic sort. Mike's been dead for 6 years. Razz

It's his son Chris, who's on Fox.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Report This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Doesn’t look like its been discussed, but I heard on the news yesterday that the school district is asking for $23 million to demo the building where it took place and then build a new one on the site.

I get that the building would maybe cause some issues for survivors, but this idea seems a touch expensive and unnecessary to me, especially at such a cost.

Maybe they could get by with some remodel and reconfiguration, rename it and dedicate it the victims for a WHOLE lot less.

Thoughts?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Report This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Doesn’t look like its been discussed, but I heard on the news yesterday that the school district is asking for $23 million to demo the building where it took place and then build a new one on the site.

I get that the building would maybe cause some issues for survivors, but this idea seems a touch expensive and unnecessary to me, especially at such a cost.

Maybe they could get by with some remodel and reconfiguration, rename it and dedicate it the victims for a WHOLE lot less.

Thoughts?

It's stupid to demolish the building. They'll still be inhabiting the exact location where the horror took place, and removing the building won't erase the memory.

What will they do if there's another tragedy at that location in the new building, bulldoze it, too?

It would be much wiser to put those millions into security enhancements for the entire campus.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Report This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Well, the people who are on these drugs are on them for a reason, that being that they are somewhat screwed up in the head to begin with.

If your cherub needs medication (that may or may not make matters worse) to be amongst the general population perhaps an institution should be the FIRST option.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4578 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^

Remodel, have the students be involved in the process and some of the work.

It would likely be better for them than trying to obliterate what happened.

But the left is big on whitewashing and covering what is, in the guise of helping, when the result is destruction.

Cost, notwithstanding.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43884 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

Thus demonstrating part of how people like Cruz get to where he got and just how badly broken is our "education" system.

Clean up and repair, and possibly some remodel. Send children that cannot get over it to another school.

Carry the frack on.

Jesus Christ on a crutch!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
^^^

Remodel, have the students be involved in the process and some of the work.

It would likely be better for them than trying to obliterate what happened.

But the left is big on whitewashing and covering what is, in the guise of helping, when the result is destruction.

Cost, notwithstanding.

When you are spending someone else’s money, there is no point in skimping.... or scrimping, either!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:

When I was an SRO and a student was arrested for some minor violations I was amazed at the reactions many parents had to their child's actions. I can't tell you how many parents first disciplinary action was to take their child to the doctors office and change their medications. Another problem with these drugs is many of these kids don't take their meds and hand them out like they are Pez.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
“FULL METAL GARB”:

Teacher grazed by Parkland shooter’s bullet: ‘Shooter was in full metal garb, helmet, face mask, bulletproof armor, shooting this rifle I’ve never seen before’

“I suddenly saw the shooter about twenty feet in front of me standing at the end of the hallway actively shooting down the hallway, just a barrage of bullets, and I’m staring at him thinking why are the police here,this is strange because he’s in full metal garb, helmet, face mask, bulletproof armor, shooting this rifle that I’ve never seen before,” Lippel told Good Morning America last Wednesday.

The brave teacher said she told fellow Stoneman Douglas H.S. teacher Scott Beigel, 35, to get back in his room just before the shooter fired a number of rounds into his room killing him and other students.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
For a minute, contrast what the Broward County deputies did and did not do with what happened last year at another school in the opposite corner of the continental United States.

Also contrast the press conference in the following link (it’s long, but well worth watching in its entirety) by the Sheriff in that jurisdiction. Compare it with Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel’s performance. Decide who the real man is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7oRfEMosj0

Posts: 4499 | Registered: January 01, 2004Report This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Coward County Sheriff is now stating through his attorney that he thought the shooter was outside. Uh huh. Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Coward County Sheriff is now stating through his attorney that he thought the shooter was outside. Uh huh. Roll Eyes

Sure he did...As all the teachers and many students ran past him cowering under a stair well toward the sound of shots IN THE BUILDING.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post