SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting
Page 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... 97

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
I cleaned my AR.

Good move!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...e-to-nra-me-n2464323

When students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas return to class after spring break next week, they'll be required to carry clear backpacks.

The move is meant to ramp up security measures after last month's deadly shooting in Parkland, Florida, and a series of breaches since.

"Clear backpacks are the only backpacks that will be permitted on campus," said Broward County School Superintendent Robert Runcie said in a letter sent to parents.

Some students have said they're not happy with the changes.

Tyra Hemans, 19, a senior, told CNN she supports parts of the new policy, such as the ID requirement. But she believes other security measures, such as forcing students to carry clear backpacks, don't adequately address the real problem with school safety, which she says is lax gun laws.

"I'm not happy with it. Why are you punishing me for one person's actions?" she said.

guess she can't see the irony there

Hemans believes a clear backpack violates students' privacy, and using metal detectors will turn the school into a prison, she said. "I want to go to school, not prison."

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tyra Hemans, 19, a senior,

Roll Eyes

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

Roll Eyes

Yeah, let's all listen to these enlightened souls.

Double Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
These children will be as successful in changing history as they were in 1212.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:

19... the good old days. Just graduated high school, had a solid crush, felt free. Delivered pizza for money and was thinking of getting my own apartment. Keggers in the woods highlighted my Friday nights.

20...enlisted in the USMC and spent the next few decades growing up and traveling all over the world. Not necessarily for vacation.

Yea, her opinion counts for something. But if she applied for dog walker I would ask for references.

Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Talking sense to them is impossible. But if you need some facts to speak to someone that might listen, the Heritage Foundation summarized this:

Heritage Foundation: Eight Stubborn Facts Regarding Gun Violence in America

In the latest installment in the Heritage Foundation’s “Heritage Explains” series, the think-tank has provided eight stubborn facts that gun-grabbers continue to overlook as they tug on America’s heartstrings to coerce people into giving up their Second Amendment right.

Here are the eight inconvenient truths:

1. Violent crime is down and has been on the decline for decades

“In 1993, there were seven homicides by firearm for every 100,000 Americans, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. By 2013, that figure had fallen by nearly half, to 3.6 — a total of 11,208 firearm homicides. The number of victims of crimes involving guns that did not result in death (such as robberies) declined even more precipitously, from 725 per 100,000 people in 1993 to 175 in 2013,” the Washington Post reports.

2. The biggest safety concerns with guns are suicides and illegally owned handguns, not mass shootings

School shootings have killed 41 people in the U.S. since 2013, based on a Time analysis. Meanwhile, 63% of the 33,636 deaths due to “injury by firearms” in the US were suicides.

3. A small number of factors significantly increase the likelihood that a person will be a victim of a gun-related homicide.

According to the Crime Prevention Research Center, over 50 percent of murders occur in 2 percent of the nation’s 3,142 counties, so where you live is an important factor. If you are in a gang or involved with drugs, you are also more likely to become a victim of gun violence. It is estimated that 15-33% of shooting victims are linked with gang and drug activity.

4. Gun-related murders are carried out by a predictable pool of people

According to the PEW Research Center, Americans living closer to cities, either in the suburbs (19%) or in urban areas (28%), are more likely to say gun violence is a big problem near them. Among gun owners, rural residents are much less likely to see gun violence as a problem in their community; just 5% say this is a very big problem while 16% of suburban gun owners say the same.

Gun violence is most common in poor urban areas and frequently associated with gang violence, often involving male juveniles or young adult males. CNS News adds that almost all mass public shooters have extensive histories of mental health issues (whether delusional/psychiatric or depression/anger), disturbing behaviors, or interpersonal violence.

5. Higher rates of gun ownership are not associated with higher rates of violent crime

The rate of gun ownership is significantly higher in rural areas than in urban areas, but urban areas experience drastically more gun violence.

“Switzerland and Israel have much higher gun ownership rates than the United States but experience far fewer homicides and have much lower violent crime rates than many European nations with strict gun control laws,” CNS News notes.

6. There is no clear relationship between strict gun control legislation and homicide or violent crime rates.

States with relaxed gun control laws like New Hampshire, Vermont, Idaho, and Oregon, have some of the lowest homicide rates. States with more extreme gun control laws, such as Maryland and Illinois have the highest murder rates.

7. Legally owned firearms are used for lawful purposes more often than they are used to commit crimes or suicide.

According to a report from the Institute of Medicine and the National Research Council, firearms are used defensively hundreds of thousands of times every year, drastically more than they are used for murder or suicide.

8. Concealed carry permit holders are not the problem, but they may be part of the solution.

“As a group, concealed carry permit holders are some of the most law-abiding people in the United States. The rate at which they commit crimes generally and firearm crimes specifically is between one-sixth and one-tenth of that recorded for police officers, who are themselves committing crimes at a fraction of the rate of the general population,” CNS reports.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.co...ce-in-america-video/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many of these childrens parents accually vote?
They are clueless and anti-American in every way.

If they, as they say are our future, we have none.

GGF

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
On Thursday, Patriots Owner Robert Kraft dispatched the team plane to Florida to fly the families of the 17 victims of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, and some of the students who were injured and survived the incident, to Washington, DC, for the “March For Our Lives.”

When asked if the Patriots were taking a political stand ...

“No. We are not politicizing this,” James said. “The Patriots are not taking a stance on gun control.

Don't know what you'd call it when you do something to aid a political position other than taking a stance in favour of it.

Wonder what Patriots (a misnomer if ever there was one) fans here abouts think of this little stunt by an NFL team owner?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Yeah, let's all listen to these enlightened souls.

Double Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Yep, these are the same morons that did the Pussy March. The same idiots that sympathize with Islamic terrorists. With illegal aliens.

All of this bullshit is to disarm conservatives, to disarm Trump voters, and it ain't gonna work.
Will be forgotten down the road, just like everything else these assholes dream up.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16699 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GGF:
If they, as they say are our future, we have none.

GGF

This is one of the reasons that it is absolutely imperative that parents NOT abandon their kids to the public schools. They're not schools, anymore. They're indoctrination centers, and they have been for a few decades, now. The GDCs have taken over the school system, the media, Hollywood, and social media. If you want the two things below for your kids, you must not abandon them to the joke that is public schools.

Two things:

1.) A decent education (The three "Rs")
2.) The ability to think critically

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10706 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
These children will be as successful in changing history as they were in 1212.

I mentioned Children’s Crusade to a friend yesterday. Many parallels.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
So when is the March for our Rights? I feel like we deserve our own protest.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Report This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:

Yeah, but most of us have day jobs. And weekends we’d rather be doing something else, like shooting. And who in their right minds wants to go to Washington, DC? That place is dangerous...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The NRA’s membership is feared and highly motivated. We don’t need to march.

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:

I got to work, raise my kids, make a living and shit. I do however vote, give cash to the 2A cause, and support the gun industry by buying tons of guns, ammo and crap.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
The NRA’s membership is feared and highly motivated. We don’t need to march.

Bingo. It's not always marching boys. Strong leadership is key. Us people that actually WORK for a living know this.

But they still need cash. We all work. Most of us can't attend a meeting. I got back from ANAD Friday myself. Tired. But we can spend $20. Skip the Dominos delivery. Send it to NRA, GOA, or the local.

No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:...This is one of the reasons that it is absolutely imperative that parents NOT abandon their kids to the public schools. They're not schools, anymore. They're indoctrination centers, and they have been for a few decades, now. The GDCs have taken over the school system, the media, Hollywood, and social media. If you want the two things below for your kids, you must not abandon them to the joke that is public schools.

Two things:

1.) A decent education (The three "Rs")
2.) The ability to think critically

Having in the public school system (college) for 20 years, this needs a repeat.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Just found out my nephew is camping this weekend with the Boy Scout and they went shooting today.

I felt very proud when I heard this.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac