SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    The Greasy Old Mil-Surp Thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Greasy Old Mil-Surp Thread Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107460 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
That Polish Cadet is sweet.

(Rifle ain't bad either) Wink

My only greasy mil-surp is a Mosin but I love looking at these! Most are way out of my price range.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Very impressive collection, sir. You must have been at it for a while. Things like SVTs, G43s, FN49s, and Hakim's haven't been available in any quantity since the early 90s.

Here's a little trip down memory lane: a Century International Arms ad from 1988. Look at those prices! Brings a tear to my eye, since I didn't get into surplus rifles until about 10 years ago, by which time G43s had already risen well above $1k.

Or, going back even further (ca. 1960s)...

quote:
Originally posted by Whisp:
When I uploaded the picture my first thought as poor as the picture was, was that no one was going to get the Yugo as a K98 would be an easy mistake to make.

The three giveaways on the M48 were the elongated upper handguard that wraps around the rear sight and runs all the way to the front barrel band, the lack of a bolt disassembly disk in the buttstock, and the lack of a stock cutout in the bolt knob area.

(M48 on top, K98 on bottom)

Rogue & Whisp. I am still waiting for someone to post up pics of the Mas auto loader in the ad shown here. I got to handle one and, I owned a like new bolt fed Mas. I never fired a round of the 7.5 but was wholey facinated with the auto loader variant of the rifle. And if thats not enough, the crusiform bayonet, spell check it, was about the fiercist looking thing I ever mounted up on a rifle.

The other missing link is the AG42 B Ljungman. I dont know if the design was first Swede or the SVT 40 but, I always gave credit to the Swedes as it had such a close lineage to their Mauser bolt rifle. There was something so cool about the AG42 B when the bolt sleeve released the bolt. Very definately would chamber a round.

Havn't seen a Ross in this thread yet either.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Here's my latest acquisitions over the last few months. Let's see yours!

1892 Izhevsk M91
(Now officially the oldest rifle in my collection. Made during the first year of mass production of Mosin-Nagant rifles.)

Imperial German Gewehr 98 that was reworked in 1949 by the Turks. (Even though the receiver was scrubbed and restamped, many of the original German proof marks are still visible in various other places on the rifle.)

1955 Polish Wz. 48 .22 LR training rifle. (Similar to the Mosin-Nagant, with the same sights and overall looks, but a different action.)

Posts: 32487 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
The other missing link is the AG42 B Ljungman. I dont know if the design was first Swede or the SVT 40 but, I always gave credit to the Swedes as it had such a close lineage to their Mauser bolt rifle.

The SVT design came first. First designed in the early 1930s and adopted in 1938. The Ljungman design wasn't finalized until 1941 and was adopted for Swedish military service in 1942. And in fact, the Ljungman design borrowed some of its components from the SVT design.

The Ljungman family of rifles, including the AG42 and the later Egyptian Hakim and Rasheed rifles, are quite interesting. But they will absolutely devour your thumb, much worse than the Garand. Big Grin

Posts: 32487 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Sorry about the crappy image. I just started my Photobucket account after numerous requests (one, actually) and used my cellphone to shoot my Springfield Trapdoor:

P.S. Finally got it re-sized, it's easier on the eyes, now! Smile

Hey, there's something you don't see every day. Thanks for sharing.

Some really cool stuff in this thread. Very nice and interesting, everyone!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgtmac
posted Hide Post
Crappy pic, but one of my grail guns.

Posts: 2832 | Location: ND | Registered: August 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Is that one of the recent batch from Aim Surplus?

Picture of sgtmac
posted Hide Post
Yes it is, got it last fall. I have yet to shoot her, thought had a bunch of .303 in my stash,but only had 10 rounds. I can't seem to find any cheap .303 ammo.

Posts: 2832 | Location: ND | Registered: August 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgtmac:
I have yet to shoot her, thought had a bunch of .303 in my stash,but only had 10 rounds. I can't seem to find any cheap .303 ammo.

Your best bet is Prvi .303. It's ~70 cents a round, but noncorrosive and reloadable. Even corrosive surplus .303 ammo, much of which will have hangfires and misfires due to aging of the cordite propellant, and which cannot be reloaded, runs about that much these days.

Picture of sgtmac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by sgtmac:
I have yet to shoot her, thought had a bunch of .303 in my stash,but only had 10 rounds. I can't seem to find any cheap .303 ammo.

Your best bet is Prvi .303. It's ~70 cents a round, but noncorrosive and reloadable. Even corrosive surplus .303 ammo, much of which will have hangfires and misfires due to aging of the cordite propellant, and which cannot be reloaded, runs about that much these days.

That's what I want, but can't seem to find any locally.

Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
The bluing on that WZ48 is Colt pretty.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy:
The bluing on that WZ48 is Colt pretty.

Yeah, the Poles used a gorgeous deep bluing on their Mosins and Mosin-like trainers.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Hey, there's something you don't see every day. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome! Smile

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9142 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nagant M1895 and CZ 52

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Great to see nice examples of old war horses. Here a few photos of some of mine taken years ago.

M44 unaltered , but now a scout rifle

Chinese SKS. This one was altered per Clinton era restrictions to allow for a Hi-Cap Mag (Bayo lug removed and Monte Carlo stock , silly stuff)

Sporterized M96 and original M96. I don't believe in altering Mil-Surps like Mausers, but I did make an exception in this case of a badly torn up example. The sporterized M96 was such a case.

\

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Whisp:
I'm going to fall into the category of need to take better pictures as well, here are a few:

They don't make bayonets like the used to.

Could you tell me what kind of bayonet that is? I have one just like it floating around here, maybe in the garage, and for years have wondered who made it,when it was used, and what rifle it fit.

Thanks!

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

Could you tell me what kind of bayonet that is? I have one just like it floating around here, maybe in the garage, and for years have wondered who made it,when it was used, and what rifle it fit.

Thanks!

It's either an M1905 or M1 bayonet for the M1 Garand and it also fit a few other rifles. No way to tell for sure w/o seeing the whole bayonet as the M1905 was a few inches longer and many were actually cut down when the M1 was being brought out. That particular one is made by Utica Cutlery as evidenced by the UC stamp.

Everything you've wanted to know about them:

http://www.thegca.org/pdfs/Bayonets409.pdf

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chach:
quote:

Thanks!

It's either an M1905 or M1 bayonet for the M1 Garand and it also fit a few other rifles. No way to tell for sure w/o seeing the whole bayonet as the M1905 was a few inches longer and many were actually cut down when the M1 was being brought out. That particular one is made by Utica Cutlery as evidenced by the UC stamp.

Everything you've wanted to know about them:

http://www.thegca.org/pdfs/Bayonets409.pdf

Thank you very much for that information.

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chach:

Good info.

But the one shown in the photo is definitely a "M1905 second production", aka "M1942" bayonet. You can tell, even without seeing the entire length, because UC didn't start making the M1 Bayonet until 1943. So a 1942-dated UC bayonet must be a M1905/M1942.

That bayonet will either have the original 16" blade, or have been cut down to a 10" blade. Most 16" M1905 bayonets were converted to 10" M1-style blade length during the latter part of WW2 (1943-1945). These cut down M1905 bayonets are also referred to as "M1905E1" bayonets.

quote:
I have one just like it floating around here, maybe in the garage, and for years have wondered who made it,when it was used, and what rifle it fit.

If it's a M1905 or M1 Bayonet, it will fit the M1903 Springfield and the M1 Garand. These types of bayonets were used from the early 1900s through the mid-1950s. (Though training and Reserve/National Guard units continued to use them, along with the M1 Garand, for several more decades.) They served in WW1, WW2, and the Korean War.

If you'll post some photos, or even just a description of the markings on the blade, we'll be able to narrow it down for you. The bayonet will be marked on the side of the blade with the manufacturer and date of manufacture. If it's been refurbished or converted at some point, it will have an additional stamp on the tang (metal at the back of the grip) with the initials of the factory that did the refurb/conversion work.

For example, here's my converted M1905 bayonet:

It was first manufactured in 1917 by Springfield Armory. It would have originally had a blued 16" blade and walnut handles.

It was then refurbished and converted to M1 configuration by American Fork and Hoe (AFH) at some point from 1943-1945. This was accomplished by cutting down the blade to 10", replacing the wooden grip panels with plastic grips, and parkerizing the metal.