SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    The Greasy Old Mil-Surp Thread
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Greasy Old Mil-Surp Thread Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I got to handle a nice Ross rifle many years back. Your Jungle Carbine is in great shape OTD.

I am still hoping someone pops in with a nice old Lee Metford. As a younger man I had such a liking to those old long rifles. I never knew they are kind of rare birds.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
not so greasy, but definitely mil-surp...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
From your 96 to all the Americans, those are pure awesome feersum! I will take them all sir. Big Grin The finger groove stock on the Enfield is sweet.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Damn Feersum,you done took all the patenia off the fine firearms Wink

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
45 Cal, look close at his '03. Is that not one of the new rifles on the market? I never saw a '03 with metal finished like this. I also am not sure about the milled angels on the receiver?

Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
45 Cal, look close at his '03. Is that not one of the new rifles on the market? I never saw a '03 with metal finished like this. I also am not sure about the milled angels on the receiver?

not new, just perfectly refinished - my dad had this habit of spending a 1000 hours using 3m paper and a piece of glass (so as not to round any edges), and removing old bluing and dings - up to crocus cloth, then having it re-blued.

Stocks (the Swedish mauser and 03, in particular) had the finish removed, dings steamed out, and then ~100 coats of boiled linseed oil hand applied, rubbed out, and 0000 steel wooled between coats.

I've got a similar dad restored Hakim...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmarv
posted Hide Post
I just got this 2 days ago. It's not only my first mil-surp, but it's my first long gun. A Swiss K31 from AIM.

Joe
_______
P6, P226 .40, P232, SP2009 (Schwyz), P220 9mm (Geneva), P226 9mm (St. Gallen), P320SC

Posts: 465 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: October 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
K31's are great guns. Had one for a while but just didn't shoot it and passed it on to the next owner.

Very unique action and but like the proverbial Swiss watch.

The butt on yours looks pretty nice.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Id love to pick up a nice K31.

Should have back when they were like $120 bucks.....

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jmarv:
I just got this 2 days ago. It's not only my first mil-surp, but it's my first long gun. A Swiss K31 from AIM.

K31's are sweet rifles, I love mine.

You check under the buttplate yet?

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmarv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
The butt on yours looks pretty nice.

Thanks. After hearing about the typical "beaver chew," I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm happy with the over-all condition.

quote:
Originally posted by navyshooter:
You check under the buttplate yet?

I checked that as soon as it came out of the box. Troop Tag was still there! Really interesting to have a little piece of the history with it.

I'm kind of afraid I may have gotten bit by the mil-surp bug now! This all started because I thought it would be neat to have a K31 with the receiver and barrel made by SIG, and then try to find a Mauser 98 that was made by J.P. Sauer. I'll stop buying these rifles after that, right? Wink

Joe
_______
P6, P226 .40, P232, SP2009 (Schwyz), P220 9mm (Geneva), P226 9mm (St. Gallen), P320SC

Posts: 465 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: October 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll stop buying these rifles after that, right? Wink

Good luck with that Big Grin

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jmarv:
This all started because I thought it would be neat to have a K31 with the receiver and barrel made by SIG, and then try to find a Mauser 98 that was made by J.P. Sauer. I'll stop buying these rifles after that, right? Wink

Not likely.

Then you'll feel the need to add a Finnish M24 Mosin-Nagant with a SIG barrel:

And then a Sauer 38H:

And then...

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcltc
posted Hide Post
Not greasy as I cleaned them up before putting them on the flag...a CMP 1955 H&R M1 Garand, and a Colt M1911 from 1918

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcltc,

"Nothing ruins a good war story like a good eyewitness" - Annonymous

Posts: 56 | Registered: November 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Nice photo, mtltc.

Here's my latest acquisition, which is the cousin to your M1. Mine's also a 1955 HRA M1 Garand. It came wearing a nicely figured birch stock.

I was about to send off for a HRA Service Grade from the CMP, but I found this one for sale. (It's a Service Grade that was was purchased last fall from the CMP.) So I got to skip the wait, and got a gorgeous stock to boot.

I'm going to give it a Tung Oil rub this weekend, which should make the tiger stripes pop even more.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
You guys are killing me with the HRA's. Mine was as new.. Frown I will buy another in the future.

Picture of mcltc
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle, Rogue. And there's just something about firing an M1 - "it don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that PING!"

"Nothing ruins a good war story like a good eyewitness" - Annonymous

Posts: 56 | Registered: November 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one thing about being a gun owner in Canada, is if you like Russian surplus stuff, it's painfully cheap.
This is a snap shot I took from a local dealer's website...

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
1942 Sako M39

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by acidjazz:
The one thing about being a gun owner in Canada, is if you like Russian surplus stuff, it's painfully cheap.
This is a snap shot I took from a local dealer's website...

This shop is 70 miles from me, AND has Russian TT-33's WITHOUT the added safety for $169:
http://www.leverarms.com/pisto...tml?manufacturer=152

Might as well be 7,000 miles away.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post