SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    The Greasy Old Mil-Surp Thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Greasy Old Mil-Surp Thread Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch28:
Pretty specimens, but I guess the Russians never heard about cylinder gap...

Do you get alot of powder spray when you shoot it?

No. All Nagant revolvers are like that, by design.

The Nagant is a unique design. It fires a 7.62x38R cartridge that is completely encased in the brass, with the bullet sitting below the level of the case mouth, which is tapered:

When the trigger is pulled, the entire cylinder cams forward up against the stepped portion at the rear of the barrel, which partially enters the front of the cylinder and seals against the case mouth. This removes any cylinder gap and results in a complete gas seal. When the trigger is released after firing, the cylinder cams rearward to remove the barrel from the cylinder and allow it to rotate freely.

As a result of this unique gas seal with no cylinder gap, the Nagant is one of the only revolvers that can be suppressed effectively.

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the explanation.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot about that. It's even more complex than I thought!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9123 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to grow up now
Picture of George85019
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the picture quality. I haven't taken updated pix of these rifles. It is on my todo list. I've got more pix of the Swede if anyone wants to see them let me know and I'll post them all.

m41B Swedish Sniper rifle ALL matching serial numbers

M1 Garand gunsmith refurbished.

Mosin-nagant 91/30 Sniper Rifle

NO SIGnature

Posts: 2050 | Location: London, OH | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to grow up now
Picture of George85019
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Nice photos of some nice rifles, entropy. Is that a muzzle brake on your K98?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by entropy:
What YOU got?

A bunch. Primarily Mausers, Mosins, and USGI rifles, with a few random others thrown in. Most of which I (sadly) don't have photos of yet.

Here are a few that I do have pics of:

Awesome! You have been at this for a while!

NO SIGnature

Posts: 2050 | Location: London, OH | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
RogueJSK, very interesting.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George85019:
Sorry about the picture quality. I haven't taken updated pix of these rifles. It is on my todo list. I've got more pix of the Swede if anyone wants to see them let me know and I'll post them all.

m41B Swedish Sniper rifle ALL matching serial numbers

M1 Garand gunsmith refurbished.

Mosin-nagant 91/30 Sniper Rifle

I had one of the Swedes too. Also briefly owned a AG42B Ljungman auto. Guess the balance of importation of the Ljungmans was stopped in the Clinton era. I loved those long stick Mausers by golly!

Among my Americans and Brits, I mixed in a FN 49 and a sweet MAS.

I gotta tell you guys, the rifle I loved above all others, even my Garands and 03A3 was the M2 .22. I ran slap into one in a local Gun Shop which was 1 of 3 long guns with green Police evidence tags on them. That M2 was 1926 barreled and a like new rifle. I held the M2 every time I went there.

Posts: 17889 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to grow up now
Picture of George85019
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE] I gotta tell you guys, the rifle I loved above all others, even my Garands and 03A3 was the M2 .22. I ran slap into one in a local Gun Shop which was 1 of 3 long guns with green Police evidence tags on them. That M2 was 1926 barreled and a like new rifle. I held the M2 [QUOTE]
Did it look like this? Not mine, it sold on Guns America for $1,495.00 about $500.00 less than my Swede. Someone is a very happy camper!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Lee:

NO SIGnature

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I love the M2 George! The one I fell in love with did not have the large globe afront. What a sweet rifle.. Razz

Posts: 17889 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to grow up now
Picture of George85019
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch28:
Pretty specimens, but I guess the Russians never heard about cylinder gap...

Do you get alot of powder spray when you shoot it?

No. All Nagant revolvers are like that, by design.

The Nagant is a unique design. It fires a 7.62x38R cartridge that is completely encased in the brass, with the bullet sitting below the level of the case mouth, which is tapered:

When the trigger is pulled, the entire cylinder cams forward up against the stepped portion at the rear of the barrel, which partially enters the front of the cylinder and seals against the case mouth. This removes any cylinder gap and results in a complete gas seal. When the trigger is released after firing, the cylinder cams rearward to remove the barrel from the cylinder and allow it to rotate freely.

As a result of this unique gas seal with no cylinder gap, the Nagant is one of the only revolvers that can be suppressed effectively.

This from a shipmate who owns 3.
Resize 32-20 starline brass to 7.62x38r actually it is a little short but shoots fine. I use a plated 83gr Berry hbwc over I think 3.5gr of Unique an it is a hoot to shoot. Trigger heavy as hell, but single action not so bad.

NO SIGnature

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep, the double action trigger is very heavy. 15+ pounds. Maybe even 20+.

There are various tricks to shim the mainspring to pretension the spring and reduce the trigger pull weight, including an old WW2 Russian trick of removing the grips and inserting an 8mm bullet between the mainspring and the front strap. I haven't tried anything like that yet, mainly because parts are relatively hard to get if you break something. Plus, the single action trigger is manageable.

You can get a conversion cylinder for the Nagant that will allow you to fire .32 ACP through it. And some folks fire . 32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, and .32 H&R Magnum through the original cylinder, but I wouldn't advise making a habit of it, as reports are that it often results in split cases and leading of the forcing cone. Besides, all of those rounds are right about as expensive as genuine 7.62x38R anyway, so there's little reason to go with them instead.

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triage1998:
This is an Irish Contract No4 Mk2 Lee Enfield I picked up in July of 2000. It was in the original wrap and soaked in cosmoline.

That is absolutely gorgeous.
Is that original or was it refinished?

The first rifle that I ever fired was a SMLE trainer in .22 LR. I had a Savage made No.4 Mk1 that was stolen from me in 1987.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I have a Polish Military Trainer; a KBKS (Short Military Training Rifle) Wz. 78. When Poland Joined NATO, they obsoleted their Soviet era logistics system and rushed to embrace NATO's.

Polish Cadets. The kbks wz.78 is on the pad beside the student. Image from HERE

These training rifles became obsolete almost overnight. Apparently rifles still in the pipeline were stored. Enterprising US arms dealers were able to buy some of this obsolete inventory for a song. The Wz.78 rifles started showing up in 2010. The first batches were used rifles that had been used by a generation of cadets and showed their age. Interestingly people found these rifles to be remarkably accurate. The first batches went fast. The latest batch showed up at the end of 2011 and these seemed to be unused rifles. They had removable AKM type sights.

I received mine in the original wrap with preservative all over it; unissued.
A very heavily built bolt action .22 LR that turned out to be remarkably accurate. It also has a fully adjustable trigger. It came set at about 1.5 lbs.

Wifama kbks Wz. 78

Rear sight

Front sight

The bolt. Check out the thickness of the receiver walls.

5 round group

miserable .22 LR fliers! I'm pretty sure that flier was me. I need to try it with some better ammo.

Scoped

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Here's the latest addition to the collection, a 1941 Swiss K31 carbine:

Too old to grow up now
Picture of George85019
posted Hide Post
Nice! I love the way all the K31's have the dark buttstock. I think it comes from being in the snow when linked with others.

NO SIGnature

Too old to grow up now
Picture of George85019
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:
I have a Polish Military Trainer; a KBKS (Short Military Training Rifle) Wz. 78. When Poland Joined NATO, they obsoleted their Soviet era logistics system and rushed to embrace NATO's.

Polish Cadets. The kbks wz.78 is on the pad beside the student. Image from HERE

These training rifles became obsolete almost overnight. Apparently rifles still in the pipeline were stored. Enterprising US arms dealers were able to buy some of this obsolete inventory for a song. The Wz.78 rifles started showing up in 2010. The first batches were used rifles that had been used by a generation of cadets and showed their age. Interestingly people found these rifles to be remarkably accurate. The first batches went fast. The latest batch showed up at the end of 2011 and these seemed to be unused rifles. They had removable AKM type sights.

I received mine in the original wrap with preservative all over it; unissued.
A very heavily built bolt action .22 LR that turned out to be remarkably accurate. It also has a fully adjustable trigger. It came set at about 1.5 lbs.

Wifama kbks Wz. 78

Rear sight

Front sight

The bolt. Check out the thickness of the receiver walls.

5 round group

miserable .22 LR fliers! I'm pretty sure that flier was me. I need to try it with some better ammo.

Scoped

Oh man, I'm in lust! Sweeeeet!

NO SIGnature

Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
I'm going to fall into the category of need to take better pictures as well, here are a few:

Points if you can name them all.

They don't make bayonets like the used to.

The black powder shotgun with the ornate stock in the bottom front row is of unknown origin. I bought this at an estate sale about 10 years ago, it's been on my list of clean-up projects since then. It was in the original box it was shipped in, postage marking indicates it went through customs in 1986 (country of origin is illegible). It was sent from a serviceman to an address in West VA. I've never seen anything like it, the teeth appear to be real.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2695 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Outstanding collection Whisp!

quote:
Originally posted by Whisp:
Points if you can name them all.

Let's see... (Left to Right)

-Turk M38 Mauser
-FN49
-Hakim
-SKS (Norinco Paratrooper?)
-SVT 38 or 40
-Gewehr 43
-M1 Garand
-M1905 second run (aka "M1942") Bayonet
-No. 4 Mk. 1 Enfield
-Yugo M48 Mauser
-Another No. 4 Mk. 1 Enfield
-M1 Carbine
-Another M1 Carbine
-Mosin M38
-Mosin M44
-Mosin M91/30

I can't completely make out the ones on the ground, but it looks like (Top to Bottom):

-Swiss K31
-Mas 39
-Mas 49/56
-Various antique black powder guns

Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Outstanding collection Whisp!

Thank you!

And Spot on- the whole way. When I uploaded the picture my first thought as poor as the picture was, was that no one was going to get the Yugo as a K98 would be an easy mistake to make. The poor Yugo is what I would consider a rescue rifle. I bought it at a show in Harrisonburg VA from a private seller for $50 bucks. Guy had attempted to file the crest off the receiver for reasons unknown, and had managed to remove and then somehow forcibly reinstall the front sight blade backwards. He said it didn't shoot good, which (aside from the front sight) I'm sure was because he failed to clean out about 60% of the cosmo. That poor thing is beat to hell, but after a cleanup and new sight blade it turned out to be a great shooter.

Just to add some more detail:

-Turk M38 Mauser (My first C/R, when LGS's still kept'em in barrels, Smile )
-FN49 (8mm, Egyptian)
-Hakim
-SKS Norinco Paratrooper
-SVT 40 (41 Tula, all matching- only stencil mark is on the mag and bolt)
-Gewehr 43 (DUV 44 f block, 100% matching, durofol handguard, no import markings, no duffle cut, all proofs visible)
-M1 Garand (refinished by previous owner, was a display piece at a local organization. Mix master, but with mostly NM parts)
-M1905 second run (aka "M1942") Bayonet
-No. 4 Mk. 1 Enfield (.303, LongBranch)
-Yugo M48 Mauser
-Another No. 4 Mk. 1 Enfield (.303, BSA)
-M1 Carbine (IBM Corp)
-Another M1 Carbine (Quality HW)
-Mosin M38 (Izzy)
-Mosin M44 (TULA)
-Mosin M91/30 (TULA)

-Swiss K31
-Mas 39 (7.5mm)
-Mas 49/56 (7.5mm)

"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.

Posts: 2695 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Very impressive collection, sir. You must have been at it for a while. Things like SVTs, G43s, FN49s, and Hakim's haven't been available in any quantity since the early 90s.

Here's a little trip down memory lane: a Century International Arms ad from 1988. Look at those prices! Brings a tear to my eye, since I didn't get into surplus rifles until about 10 years ago, by which time G43s had already risen well above $1k.

Or, going back even further (ca. 1960s)...

quote:
Originally posted by Whisp:
When I uploaded the picture my first thought as poor as the picture was, was that no one was going to get the Yugo as a K98 would be an easy mistake to make.

The three giveaways on the M48 were the elongated upper handguard that wraps around the rear sight and runs all the way to the front barrel band, the lack of a bolt disassembly disk in the buttstock, and the lack of a stock cutout in the bolt knob area.

(M48 on top, K98 on bottom)