SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Pics of your favorite Fun-Vehicle
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pics of your favorite Fun-Vehicle Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yeah… the clean example S2000s have been climbing in value. Yours is just perfect. Best color combo Honda ever offered. Cool

I love that dashboard and how it kinda resembles the dash on one of my favorite motorcycles of all time the mighty Honda RC51. Cool

One day I will own one of these.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21245 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Stick, that's an AP2 instrument cluster. The AP1, like mine is like this. Notice the different redlines with the AP1 @ ~9k and the AP2 @ ~8k.

FWIW mine has just over 37k on the clock. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16551 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Damn!!! Eek That’s a proper redline!!!

Yours looks even more like the RC51 dash. I wonder if that was a coincidence or intentional?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21245 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Damn!!! Eek That’s a proper redline!!!

Yours looks even more like the RC51 dash. I wonder if that was a coincidence or intentional?

Honda's F1 influenced the dash design

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16551 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The RC51 was a race bike first and foremost and has the honor of winning the 2000 World Superbike Championship with Colin Edwards and 2002 AMA Superbike Championship with Nicky Hayden.

These two machines were in production around the same time. I really think one might have influenced the other. Those dashes look too similar to be a coincidence. Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
During the 1990s, digital gauges fell by the wayside. When Honda brought out its S2000, it used an F1-inspired cluster to remind people of its motorsport glory. The S2000's gauges are incredibly easy to read, and they injected new life into the digital instrument panel on the whole. https://www.popularmechanics.c...tal-gauges/?slide=10

The AP1 has an Inverse logarithmic scale once past 6krpm to allow for the more accurate gauging of the tach once the VTEC has activated.
It's dash is the more race inspired than the one in the AP2

So in summary I'd say both the S2000 AP1 and RC51 instrument clusters were inspired by Honda's F1 program and not one for the other.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I think you are probably right on that and both machines benefited from it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
During the 1990s, digital gauges fell by the wayside. When Honda brought out its S2000, it used an F1-inspired cluster to remind people of its motorsport glory. The S2000's gauges are incredibly easy to read, and they injected new life into the digital instrument panel on the whole. https://www.popularmechanics.c...tal-gauges/?slide=10

The AP1 has an Inverse logarithmic scale once past 6krpm to allow for the more accurate gauging of the tach once the VTEC has activated.
It's dash is the more race inspired than the one in the AP2

So in summary I'd say both the S2000 AP1 and RC51 instrument clusters were inspired by Honda's F1 program and not one for the other.

I've driven a handful of S2000s [mostly AP2s] & have never noticed that. Neat little detail.

I remember working at a Honda dealer in college & had a couple people that couldn't figure out how to start the S2k, despite the gigantic START button on the dash.
Similarly, some couldn't figure out reverse.

Just take caution on an AP1 that's been in the sun for a while, or you'll have a 6MT shift pattern burned into your palm.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
There is a decent chance I will be trading my Yamaha Raptor 700R for this 1998 Integra GS-R today.

The GS-R owner REALLY wants an ATV like my Raptor and I have wanted an Integra GS-R since at least 1998. I came close to getting one in Virginia Beach in the early 2000’s but decided to get a 5.0 GT convertible instead.

Fingers crossed. This would be a fun project car with my son. My wife isn’t so enthusiastic, her response was “I thought you were going to get a Miata or Alfa Romeo!?” Big Grin

The Raptor has not been babied and apparently neither has this Integra. Considering it just sits in my garage and collects dust and the last attempt to sell it was a cluster I’m cautiously optimistic about this trade.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not a bad trade, and should be a reliable project.
Coupe or sedan?
Worked with a guy that had a GSR in that same green.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Coupe. Cool It’ll need paint but it’s had a lot of work done mechanically and should be a good father son or perhaps even better a father daughter project!

So far one of my daughters is the only one in the family excited about possibly getting this car. Big Grin My son seemed mostly uninterested until my daughter proclaimed we would paint it sparkle pink. Big Grin Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that paint looks rough. The one behind it is the color of the GSR that the guy I worked with had. It was on the chrome 7 spoke 'blade' wheels, IIRC.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I got a project car. Driving it home through torrential rain was quite the experience.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Nice, better wheels & it spawned a new driver's door handle.
Looks to be in better shape than the above photo, but that could be because it's wet & hiding the failing clearcoat. Razz

Looks to be lowered a bit, careful with that, especially in the rear, as they gain come crazy camber if you go too far (at least on the EK Civics)

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
2000 AP1 S2000 on the Nurburgring

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Just take caution on an AP1 that's been in the sun for a while, or you'll have a 6MT shift pattern burned into your palm.

Oh I solved that fairly early. Originally I swapped out the factory gear shift knob for a silver Voodoo one similar to that I had in a 1996 Miata. Liked it but yeah too hot in the sun. But I got smart and had an old school wooden (mahogany in this case) one made.

Phase 1: Team VooDoo spun pearl aluminum finish shift knob

Phase 2: Knobmeister / Joe Portas custom 1.8" diameter mahogany knob

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
It depends

This IMG_3177 by Keith Olin, on Flickr

or this
IMG_1802 by Keith Olin, on Flickr

or this 27003744_Unknown by Keith Olin, on Flickr

yes, I am about to retire, kids are through college and out on their own and most importantly I have a very kind and indulgent Mrs kho

Posts: 579 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kho:
It depends

This IMG_3177 by Keith Olin, on Flickr

or this
IMG_1802 by Keith Olin, on Flickr

or this 27003744_Unknown by Keith Olin, on Flickr

yes, I am about to retire, kids are through college and out on their own and most importantly I have a very kind and indulgent Mrs kho

That TR6 is sweet !!!

Posts: 3587 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27195 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
^^^ Along those lines:

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 426 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post