SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Fricking gorgeous Sinn!!! I love the strap.

I’ve been selling off far more watches than I’ve been buying but the all black DLC Sinn U50 is one of the few that I’d like to welcome into the shrinking collection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21064 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Both are very nice, but the skeletonized hands on the 2nd piece seem to get a bit lost on that face.
I give the edge to the former.

Yeah the Apocalypse Now/Capt’n Willard anniversary blue has a very nice retro vibe going. It’s one of if not my #1 favorite Seiko I own.

The mod is interesting but I agree, while different the skeletonized hands would work better on a different dial. The save the ocean Manta ray dial isn’t its best match.

It is comparing a $1300 MSRP watch to a mod that typically costs $300-550 to build yourself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21064 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
That Sinn looks good on the strap. I thought about moving my U2 over to a strap, but wasn't sure if it would feel weird. That's a big chunk of steel and the bracelet kind of balances it a bit.

I do have a bunch of 22mm straps though, and the lugs are drilled so it wouldn't be a hard change to remove the bracelet and put it back if I didn't like it...

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
My flieger has flown! IWC 3706 Flieger chronograph. Shrinking the collection even further. The last of many chronographs over the years. I may be as tight as I can be now. Perhaps... Weird as it may sound, there is just nothing out there that is compelling to me anymore. After decades of this nonsense, I think I've burned myself out.

Posts: 11351 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
That's a looker, but appears on the larger side for me.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's a looker, but appears on the larger side for me.

At 39mm, it slightly smaller than most, but it is thick. Too thiCk for it's diameter.

Posts: 11351 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Well, ya'll warned me... My watch collection has exploded. I blame all of you, in the best way. Big Grin

After picking up the Seiko, I loved the dial, but not the smaller size on my large wrist, or the need to hand-wind and reset it after a few days of not wearing it.

But the "Flieger B" style of dial was perfect. It looks great, and I find it's significantly faster to read than a traditional analog watch face. So the hunt began for a bigger watch with a Flieger B dial that was solar-powered, yet affordable.

That led me to the Citizen Avion line of Eco-Drive watches, which included a run of Flieger-B dial watches. And after picking up the black one a few weeks ago, I knew that this was exactly what I was looking for. And then I proceeded to buy 3 more, including ordering a discontinued one from a watch dealer in Spain that had a NOS one on hand!

Then it was just a matter of finding straps that worked well with them, which didn't take long. (I'm still playing around with the one with the khaki Marine Nationale band, and am going to try a few different color combos with that one, but am happy with the others.) Best of all, none of these watches cost more than $130, so I have less than $500 in the whole set.

I'm a happy camper. But I don't think I'll be buying any more watches anytime soon. (Unless Citizen comes out with a different run of Flieger B watches, that is...)

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Those look great, especially like the far right model.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Really like those Citizens.

If you like Flieger B watches, for not much more you can get one of the original manufacturers LACO at Long Island Watch. Depending on the movement prices vary. First one is a swiss quartz for $320 and the second one is a Laco modified Miyota for $410.

https://www.laco-watches.com/e...basic/zuerich-2-d-40

https://www.laco-watches.com/e...omatic-leather-strap

Posts: 3560 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
My slightly modified SRP789 gets the wrist today. This Seiko turtle is sporting a coin edge bezel and brushed steel insert with black painted numbers and red paint surrounding the lume pip. The red on the bezel insert matches the red of the minute hand perfectly and really adds to the overall look and balance of the watch.

The bracelet is a strapcode super engineer 22mm non tapering bracelet. It’s heavy but comfy and works well with the coin edge bezel’s hard vertical lines and bezel insert’s brushed steel.

This one usually gets heavy rotation in the summer time but since it suddenly got cold as heck outside I’m wearing it today and thinking of warmer days ahead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Good stuff, stick!
I'm digging that super engineer bracelet -- it'd look great on my gray Samurai.

Want to get a little geeky? Check out this "IKEA clock to Seiko SPB337" conversion. Reddit link.

God bless America.

Posts: 13424 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Very cool! Thanks for the link. I would love to have one of those in my workshop!! It was a smart choice to make an Alpinist dial.

I came soooooooooo close to scooping up one of the ice blue limited edition Alpinist watches. I just worry I would be tempted to mod it and ruin the value of a very limited production watch. Wink

An ice blue Alpinist dial in a titanium Shogun case…hmmmmm….

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Now for something completely different….sort of.

A very cool vintage reissue from Hamilton has caught my eye.

Hamilton’s modern redux of the Pan Europ Chronograph in the silver dial colorway is so tempting.

The original.

Hamilton also offers the watch with the iconic blue dial but added a black and a silver dial as well. The Silver dial variant is my favorite. This might seem odd from someone who usually chooses the blue version of watches but that silver, black and red really works well together.

Much to my delight this watch also has a very Doxa Sub/ Seiko Turtle style cushion case. It’s a design style people tend to love or hate. I 100% adore watches with this style case shape.

The crown position on the newer version was moved from the original 9 o’clock position over to the 3 o’clock position.

I have a lead on one that looks like this and comes with the original black Hamilton strap. There is a pretty good chance this will be my next watch.

I found a pic of the silver dial Pan Europ on mesh. It’s one of the few times I probably wouldn’t swap it onto mesh. The curved spring bars won’t make it fun. I think if I get the one that looks like the pic above I probably will go with a brown or black rally style leather strap. Black with red stitching might look good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The original with the blue face, really like that. And the 9 o'clock crown works with me wearing on the left wrist.
The silver on the black strap looks great.

No new watches for me, for a while. New money pit inbound.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
My flieger has flown! IWC 3706 Flieger chronograph. Shrinking the collection even further. The last of many chronographs over the years. I may be as tight as I can be now. Perhaps... Weird as it may sound, there is just nothing out there that is compelling to me anymore. After decades of this nonsense, I think I've burned myself out.

It's better to burn out than fade away!

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
No new watches for me, for a while.

Hey, stickman! How many times have we said that?? Big Grin

- - - - - - - - -
This just in: email from Amazon.
Holy smokes, I'm glad I bought SKX007J when I did. $976!?!? Great Caesar's ghost, man!

God bless America.

Posts: 13424 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:

Razz
I did say 'new'
Didn't rule out vthoky rejects

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
That Hamilton is awesome. Especially on the rally strap. Mesh…not so sure about.

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:

True story there. I finally obtained my grail watch. I absolutely love it and haven’t work anything else since I picked it up. There’s nothing out there I want more than this one.

But I’m still looking…

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Here’s one I don’t wear often. It’s got probably the most legible dial of all my watches and I like it, but it runs about 30 seconds a day fast. My wife laughs at me about it, but I keep it in my desk safe at my office. “Why,” she asked. So I don’t end up wearing my Omega if I get dragged out of the office for some kind of unrest. It’s my riot watch…