SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
My grandfather’s early 60’s Heuer Carrera 2547 hand wind. Just managed to ID it and, uh… wow. Needs service, it’s running four hours on a full wind and the reset pusher is a little ganked, but everything seems to work otherwise.

When I get home with it, the twist-o-flex is going bye-bye. This thing is screaming for some polywatch and some leather. Vintage would be nice. I’ve been wanting a chrono, and this is, by far, nicer than anything I could afford.

Wow. Beautiful. Awesome history.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
My grandfather’s early 60’s Heuer Carrera 2547 hand wind. Just managed to ID it and, uh… wow. Needs service, it’s running four hours on a full wind and the reset pusher is a little ganked, but everything seems to work otherwise.

When I get home with it, the twist-o-flex is going bye-bye. This thing is screaming for some polywatch and some leather. Vintage would be nice. I’ve been wanting a chrono, and this is, by far, nicer than anything I could afford.

Send that beautiful heirloom to Roland at RGM for a full overhaul service. Let them do the poly watch while it's apart. THAT DESERVES a professional service inside and out before running. And CONGRATULATIONS to you for having such an amazing and special watch that has so much meaningful family history. WOW!!!!! Eek

It kills me that I cannot offer you lots of money for that watch because I know you cannot sell it.

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
That Heuer is a VERY COOL watch Smudge. It's got seconds, minutes, hours, day, date & months... all it's missing is years Wink. Awesome!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tooky13,

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Why is it every watch I think to myself "Oh wow, that's really nice!" is either out of my price range or otherwise unobtainable?

P220 Smudge, that's really nice! I'm glad the thieves didn't find it.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:

What a magnificent watch. Your Grandfather had really good taste in watches.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Good day all all,
Is there a better or more reasonably priced screwdriver for adjusting my strapcode/military bracelets? Thank you..... John.

Posts: 2861 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, folks. I’m glad to have it. R0gue, when I’m ready to have it serviced, that’s who I will go with and what I’ll have done. I appreciate the recommendation.

I don’t have much from my grandfather, and I’m probably going to hang onto this one, but if I do decide to let it walk, you’ll be the first to know. I have to consider how sentimental I actually am vs what I’ll actually enjoy wearing in my waning years that my son will eventually inherit. This is perhaps less clear-cut than it seems on paper.

Pickle Rick, there’s a few kits on Amazon that might work fine for you. I ordered one some months ago to regulate a watch and there was a good assortment in there.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've always felt the pre-Tag Heuer watches were the ones to covet. That Carrera 2547 is iconic and with the history, P220 Smudge, I wouldn't let it go.

I cherish my early '80s 510.503 as well with its Lemania 5100 movement.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
You guys own some beautiful watches!

If I was ever given a chance to design my own watch I would want to make a watch that can track the tide while still being an automatic mechanical movement. I would draw from this amazing Heuer Solunar watch for inspiration. This watch has the ability to track the tide for about two weeks! I would alter the aesthetic design quite a bit and add in a two stage bezel insert with a minute track and an overlapping colored tide graph.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Tide would be a really cool feature for a dive watch considering most of us don't dive, and just wear them to the surf to play James Bond. I've never seen a tide watch. Thanks for showing me something new!

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I too, have never seen a tide watch. Thanks for sharing stickman.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Knowing the tides is handy when fishing and boating. The problem is tides are location specific and not all locations have 2 high and 2 low tides in a lunar day. Some have only 1 of each in a lunar day. Further complicating tide predictions are bays and estuaries where it takes time for the tidal flow to reach the inner shores. A third problem is tides are based on a 24 hour 50 minute lunar day. Just marking the bezel would require periodic adjustments of the bezel to keep track of more than a few days worth of tides.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget surfing. You are right about having to adjust the bezel, Sinn’s tide tracking watch requires that. I am kinda shocked there are not more automatic watches out there with a basic tide tracking function. I’m so tempted to try to design one and get it crowdfunded but that would be well beyond my abilities I am afraid.

Tide tracking is a function that I think a lot of people might find handy and no one seems to be doing it. It would be a great way for a micro brand to distinguish itself from everyone else if they could pull it off.

As many dive watches as there are out there it’s odd that a tide complication is so rare. Yes I know they do bring some challenges and won’t work everywhere but it’s something I would use quite a bit in the summertime. Sinn made a unique and unexpected tide tracking watch in 2010 and Heuer made the very cool two week tide tracking Solunar years ago.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stick;
I want to say that there's probably more Dive Watches out there then there are Divers. A friend is a budding watch aficionado, has about 3 decent Dive Watches... Won't go into anything deeper than the shower. Can't swim, and afraid of water! I keep telling him that I'll teach him to swim in trade for his Citizen, but he's not taking it. Frown

If you figure out the "Surf Watch"; IM IN!!!!
Somewhere, my Chicago raised little brother figured out how to surf, mostly thanks to Uncle Sam and his Misguided Children.

(Just thinking out loud- 24hr format vs a 12hr format as most standard watches. Rotating bezel. Would that work?)

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Do I have freakishly large wrists? I mean seriously, I’ve looked at expensive watches on and off for years. Forget about used watches, any of them that list wrist size are too small. I finally bought a new watch that was listed to have a 9 inch bracelet. Received it today and it’s too small. My wrist is 8”-8.25”. Strike one. The case size is supposed to be 41.5mm and my old Seiko is 42mm, so I figured the new watch would look good. Man it looks small. Strike two.

No pics because unless the dealer can send me links for the bracelet, I’m going to return it. I suspect being a gray market dealer, they won’t be able to.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
8" wrist is pretty big but I wouldn't call it freakish. I have 7 1/2" wrists.

Also, you are probably feeling self conscious about something and it is clouding your judgement. I daily wear a 36.25mm SMP but I also have a 44mm Deep Blue Master1000. I think both look just fine and I suspect that watches look fine on you, as well.

That said, I do suggest the Deep Blue Master 1000 if you need a beefy watch but don't want to spend a bunch. I think I removed 3 links for it to fit so it should work for you out of the box.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t say I’m self-conscious. My every day watch is 52mm, so the new one is small by comparison.

I found a picture of the exact same watch I bought with the bracelet unhooked from one side and the whole thing on top of a ruler. From the holes in the lugs to the holes in the opposite end of the bracelet, it measures over 8.25 inches. It should fit. One thing I noticed is the picture on the internet has 2 half links. I only looked at mine for a minute because I had to pick my kids up, but I think it has 4 half links. It definitely has the correct number of links.

I’ll check it out when I get home and if that’s the case, hopefully they’ll exchange it for one with the correct links.

***UPDATE***
There are the correct two half links. I tried it on again and it’s so close.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Well that's a beautiful Speedy!

I mean, anything is gonna be small compared to 52mm. That's a clock.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
I have about seven different watches with tide functions...all of them digital based. The three that get the most use are the excellent Casio Pro Trek PRW2500T7, Casio W-S210 (great watch for the $$), and Casio GAX100B G-Shock (tank of a beater watch).

As was pointed out, tides vary greatly from location to location. Unless you have a GPS smart-type watch, you're probably going to a main reference 'base' station on your coast (LA for the west coast, for instance), and then you'll have to enter/program in the time difference between the main reference base station and your location, which isn't always constant. For the non-GPS watches, you'll get a decent approximation when everything is programmed in. With smart phones these days, where you can go to tide websites for far more accurate information, the tide watch is more of a convenient redundancy. But I enjoy them.

I don't own one, but Nixon has a several surfing dedicated tide watches with numerous locations pre-programmed in.

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Tide would be a really cool feature for a dive watch considering most of us don't dive, and just wear them to the surf to play James Bond. I've never seen a tide watch. Thanks for showing me something new!

Casio makes some Gshocks with tide charts, for surfers and fishermen.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post