SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Scratched the itch for a Bauhaus inexpensively with Klasërn.

The watch was designed, produced, and marketed by a young graphics designer who immigrated a couple years ago from South Vietnam. He is adding to his resume by working on a degree at North Texas University.

The three tier dial won me over.
It is a 38mm 3ATM Ronda 585-2H-D3 quartz piece with sapphire glass and no seconds hand nor lume in keeping with the minimalist Bauhaus theme. Shipped with both a tan and black leather quick disconnect straps. Rear has 4 screws to remove the rear plate to access the 362 battery. With a coupon the delivered price was just a hair over $88.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I acquired something interesting. While waiting on my real Omega Seamaster to get a MUCH needed and detailed service from Omega as well as lots of new and expensive factory parts I came across the opportunity to get a Super Clone for the price of a real bezel/insert.

I did a bit of quick research and discovered this particular Super Clone/ fake was considered to be one of the best regarding detail and accuracy and even used a Swiss high beat movement (Asian copy but damn accurate). I decided to see how it stacks up against my more obvious fake Seamaster, a sterile dual Chinese made piece of junk that I will eventually disassemble as I learn more about my newfound hobby/obsession.

The fit, finish and accuracy of this thing is shocking. Matching serial numbers on the case and movement and even damn good lume that is correct for this reference. It even has all the anti counterfeit etchings and they look professional. Eek

No way in the world I’ll ever buy an Omega from a 3rd party after looking at this clone. It’s scary good.

Let me see the balance bridge and escapement.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Bingo. That’s the giveaway that they just modified/bedazzled quite effectively an ETA 2824-2 movement. They got a ton of small details right...BUT not all of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21064 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Love the Bauhaus!

Posts: 11351 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bingo. That’s the giveaway that they just modified/bedazzled quite effectively an ETA 2824-2 movement. They got a ton of small details right...BUT not all of them.

It has a butterfly balance bridge and the correct type plates. The Omega coaxial movements were developed from the 2892-2.

However what it does not have is a free sprung balance and a silicon spring. If he takes a picture of the escapement, you will see a Swiss fork and two regulators.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Love the Bauhaus!

Thanks r0gue. You might be shocked at how little it cost. Smile

10% coupon code FIRST10 from klasern.com gets it for well under a Franklin.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I took JHE’s advice and picked up that Tissot diver. It’s a neat watch, definitively more dressy than the rest of my divers. It’s interesting to see how the watch uses a modified ETA 2824-2 movement with a lower beat and a hell of a long power reserve (80 hours). Tissot made some effort to decorate the movement and I do like the display case back. Apparently the watch can be regulated but a brief internet search brought up all kinds of conversations on how Swatch will probably just replace this particular movement rather than service it. Movement replacement makes sense at this price point, Seiko does the same thing with its watches that fall in this pricing category.

The more I wear it the more I like it.

The bezel insert on this watch is growing on me. It ghosts out under low light and gives the watch a more formal appearance. Notice how the 30 second mark on the bezel insert ghosted out in the pic.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21064 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Tissot is a SWATCH group product like Blancpain, Omega, Longines and Hamilton. ETA is their primary movement manufacturer as they have owned them for some time after selling off Lemania to Breguet and then have now bought them back.

Tissot benefits from ETA's innovations along with Omega's technology.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Looks good. I like the bracelet.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Mars_Attacks,

The reason I was talking about regulation on this movement is because Tissot claims such a thing to be unnecessary.

From a review of the Powermatic 80 “The high-tech escapement has no regulator; the rate is set at the factory with a laser, making the manual rate adjustments normally required by a mechanical watch unnecessary.” Link to the review

I have not had the watch very long but I will say so far it has been VERY accurate. The 21mm lugs will limit band/bracelet options a little but it did come with a decent bracelet from the factory.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
It appears to have a free-sprung balance (regulated by the position of the "screws" on the balance arms) which can be very accurate. Elgin tried this in the late 50's-60's before they folded tent and went under. I would not doubt that Swatch puts a nice movement in the watch.

Very nice watch!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 21mm lugs will limit band/bracelet options a little but it did come with a decent bracelet from the factory.
I have a 21mm lug watch, and it does limit you most places for selection. I've found that the Euro Watch Band Center has almost 200 leather bands in 21mm. I've never searched their other styles (metal, synthetic, textile etc) for 21mm. Their prices are in Euros, and they ship via DeutschePost which takes about a week, and at a very reasonable price for shipping.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link Henry, I’ll check them out.

I won an auction I wasn’t expecting to win recently Big Grin.

and now for something completely different....

My first bronze watch! (CUSN8 bronze w/ SS caseback) And one with a honey of a movement! Siletta SW200 that’s keeping exquisite time. Cool

When I inevitably whittle my watch collection down to only a dozen or so this baby will be one of the last standing. It’s amazing. I got it used so it’s already acquired a little patina that I look forward to adding to. I wasn’t too keen on the rubber strap so I added something more comfy and aesthetically pleasing.

upload picture to web

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
That Zelos Mako diver is an interesting piece. Wasn't familiar with the brand so I looked it up. A microbrand out of Signapore started in 2014. Some kickstarter history too.

Here's an interesting review:
https://www.ablogtowatch.com/z...m-dive-watch-review/

Microbrands are proliferating with some excellent stuff out there. FWIW that Bauhaus piece I recently picked up was also a microbrand product of a limited edition of 100 pieces. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
That looks cool! Hard and soft at the same time. I may have to try a bronze one day.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
That Zelos is awesome.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
This June, I traveled to Germany where I thought I could pick up a Rolex GMT. No such luck. But as I was looking at the Rolex store in the airport, this caught my eye.

It looked so nice, I fell in love and bought the watch.

I think I want a Sky Dweller anyway at this point.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19581 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Understandable, ... she'd be hard to resist. Lucky for you she wasn't selling Hublot.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Soob meir seeblay.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3S3Vbna2Vo

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Toured (Explored) Pitt today with my kid. Amazing weather, it was freezing in the shade, and hot in the sun. Cathedral of Learning in the background.