SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Paul Newman's Paul Newman surfaces. An interesting story about a watch that has long excited great interest in watch circles.

(For those who aren't watch people, a "Paul Newman" is an early Rolex Daytona chronograph with a certain dial. Newman's was well known, as he wore it often and it became a desirable style because of Newman.)

You'll probably need at least a million dollars to be in the running. It could go for more.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/h...going-now-1496322396

Caught that story this morning - pretty cool. As ludicrous as it sounds, a million bucks won't even get past the auction reserve, I think.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
more like $5 million, probably.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
more like $5 million, probably.

I suspect you're right. The crowd that digs this stuff has deep deep pockets.

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I just read that article today on the Newman Daytona. Great story.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Steel sport watch pressed into business dress mode until I can source some proper straps for the new office/dress hardware. I sold too much too fast, and now I don't have a proper dress watch for werk. This did ok.

The JLC is going to do a much better job once I ditch that strap. I could wear it as my belt it's so long.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Another classic. JLC makes a similar one with a moon phase that I just love.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
The BlaCkest blued hand you'd ever see. But in "just" the right light.

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Nice Master Date, r0gue - you've got all the nice toys!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
A question, if I may. When it comes to a service, what is actually done? I understand that there is an inspection, cleaning, lube, and replacement of worn parts, but are there any mandatory replacement parts? I was watching a service video on Hodinkee of a Speedmaster and he mentioned replacing the crown (I think he said crown, I assumed the crystal cover) and cover gaskets. I understand the cover gaskets but is the crown (assuming it is the crystal) something that is normally replaced? Or only if you want it? In my field during scheduled services we have a lot of "mandatory replacement parts". I am just curious what a complete service entails. Preventative maintenance is the lifeblood of operation. And it mitigates corrective maintenance downtime later on.

I am not asking because of money, the mechanic in me is curious. One of the reasons I like mechanical watches is well, mechanics. Like my car, I help it, it helps me.

And the "Go Fund Me" for my Omega is rocking'! Sold my Sig 556 Classic I never fired and bought in 2007, straight into the Omega kitty! Should be there by December, just need to decide what I want...

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky: ...is the crown (assuming it is the crystal) something that is normally replaced?

No, the crown isn't the crystal. The crown is the piece you turn to wind and set the watch. Since it can become worn down over time it is a commonly-replaced part.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky: ...In my field during scheduled services we have a lot of "mandatory replacement parts". I am just curious what a complete service entails.

I can't speak for other brands, but when I worked at a Rolex service center we replaced the mainspring every time we serviced a watch. We also replaced the O-rings on the back and in the crown every time to assure water-tight integrity. Other parts were replaced on an as-needed basis based on inspection.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I am learning the watch thing. I am a stickler for scheduled maintenance.

I have been enamored by watches since I was young, but my whole life I have always thought of them as tools. Why would anyone own more than one??? Time is time. But now that I can see the beauty in them, hell I actually own two, something I have never done in my life. Granted nothing special, a few Seiko's, but they work.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread I had a Timex die overseas due to a bad battery. I beat the hell out of that thing, broke the spring bars off, fixed the watch to the band with safety wire, and it still died. And there were no cell towers where I was for time.

So when I got back I bought a cheap Seiko 5 automatic, and it goes tic toc every day. Plus or minus three minutes a month, I adjust to NIST when I have time. I put it on a velcro band for work.

I'm a mechanic by trade, and I love mechanical things. Mechanical watches are absolute works of art.

I'm pretty sure my first "good" watch purchase is going to be a new Seamaster 300, and I am also pretty sure I will probably beat the hell out of it.

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky: ...I have been enamored by watches since I was young...

I'm with you. My grandfather was a watchmaker in his second career (his first started as a bugler in the Army in WWI and progressed to Director of Air Force Bands for the Alaska Air Command by the time he retired as a Chief Warrant Officer in the 1950s), and I used to love listening to him telling me all about the history of clocks and watches, and showing me how they worked. I was fortunate enough to be able to take two years away from full-time work to attend watchmaker's school, although I only worked in the field fulltime for a short while. Right now I have a Seiko 5 for my everyday watch, a very thin quartz ESQ (by Movado) as my dress watch, and a quartz Casio Duro as my diving watch. I'd like to replace the latter with a mechanical diver as soon as I can afford it, but it'll do for now. I really need to crack open my Seiko and adjust it, because it's gaining a minute a day...drives me crazy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BrianO,

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Wow that is awesome. I would like to learn the skill. I think I can fix anything.

When I got back I put a new battery in my Timex and ended up giving it to a Marine at a VFW in NH. We got to talking and he was a veteran of Grenada. He asked why the hell I had wire on my watch so I told him the story and gave it to him.

I then got my Seiko 5 and honestly vowed I'd never have a battery powered watch again. I like it. My "dress" watch now is a Seiko diver on a NATO strap.

Until I get my Omega. And I WILL share a pic of it at work Wink I will have no compunction about wearing the Omega fixing tanks. Watches tell time. I need to know what time it is.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
I really need to crack open my Seiko and adjust it, because it's gaining a minute a day...drives me crazy.

Very interesting story BrianO! Very cool to have a skilled watchmaker on the board too! That last comment made me think of the old "Shoemaker's children go shoeless line" haha!

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
What is considered acceptable? My cheap work Seiko with a 7/S26C I can keep to 3 minutes a month. Can you regulate something like this?

Man no lie the mechanic in me LOVES this.

Quartz has no soul....

Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
A question, if I may. When it comes to a service, what is actually done? I understand that there is an inspection, cleaning, lube, and replacement of worn parts, but are there any mandatory replacement parts? I was watching a service video on Hodinkee of a Speedmaster and he mentioned replacing the crown (I think he said crown, I assumed the crystal cover) and cover gaskets. I understand the cover gaskets but is the crown (assuming it is the crystal) something that is normally replaced? Or only if you want it? In my field during scheduled services we have a lot of "mandatory replacement parts". I am just curious what a complete service entails. Preventative maintenance is the lifeblood of operation. And it mitigates corrective maintenance downtime later on.

I am not asking because of money, the mechanic in me is curious. One of the reasons I like mechanical watches is well, mechanics. Like my car, I help it, it helps me.

And the "Go Fund Me" for my Omega is rocking'! Sold my Sig 556 Classic I never fired and bought in 2007, straight into the Omega kitty! Should be there by December, just need to decide what I want...

To answer your question, a full service from most watch manufacturers includes

Complete disassembly of the watch movement
complete disassembly of the watch case and strap or bracelet
The movement is ultrasonically cleaned and worn parts are replaced
The case and bracelet are refinished as close to new looking as possible depending on the finish and damage
Then the watch is resembled using proper lubricants and all new gaskets are installed
If it is water proof it is pressure tested
It is tested for accuracy
Only parts that are out of speck will be recommended for replacement. Some service centers will always use new hands because they are press fitted to the watch and the old ones might fall off if the watch receives a hard knock.
It is shipped back to you or the watch shop it was sent to for service
The crown is what is used to wind and set the time
The cost can can run up to several hundred dollars depending on the manufacture and the watch movement. Some people will look for a local watch shop for service some will send it back to the manufacture for service.
This is why it can be so expensive to service a high end watch.
The Omega Sea Master you are looking at is a great choice. I own a Seamaster PO 600m Chronograph and love it. It is my everyday watch.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
What is considered acceptable? My cheap work Seiko with a 7/S26C I can keep to 3 minutes a month. Can you regulate something like this?

Man no lie the mechanic in me LOVES this.

Quartz has no soul....

That 180 seconds a month divided by 30 days is 6 seconds a day, which is really pretty damn good. A Seiko 5 running at that level of accuracy is a bit better than expected.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
My weekend spoils. Matching Microtech Ultratechs and a Fortis Cosmonaut 42mm Automatic watch which is basically a B-42 but came with a leather band. I changed it out for a 007 style NATO. I guess I like automatics of all kinds Big Grin

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I think I read +/- 15-20 seconds a day, but once I began wearing it every day I started checking it mostly against NIST, and I usually fall 1-3 minutes behind monthly. At the first of every month I check it and bump it ahead.

The whole service thing intrigues me. Not in a bad way, as I said what I work on lives and dies on PM. Mechanical things are amazing. I was never a Rolex guy (I think a great uncle with a gaudy gold watch did me in) but I really like the simple lines of the explorer.

Anyway, someday I will step-up. Quite honestly I own close to 100 firearms but I can only shoot 3-6 a month. Might be time to sell/trade to step into a different love...