SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I picked this up a while back to scratch my GMT itch. It’s not a Rolex GMT Master with a Pepsi bezel, but it goes nicely with a Hawaiian shirt…

It’s my travel watch.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
In honor of St Paddy’s day, I’m wearing green…

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I don’t think the perfect watch exists.

Acquiring my grail watch only resulted in a 7-10 month lull in my watch interests, which then evolved slightly.

I suppose I still have a grail watch to strive for, a vintage Heuer Solunar which ranges from expensive to ridiculous depending on its condition. When you consider an $80 G-shock rescue has the same capability and then some it becomes hard to explain to non watch enthusiasts.

It’s a hobby/addiction that often seems to defy logic.

**edit to add**

copaup, those are gorgeous! Christopher Ward is one of my favorite brands ever. That is a sharp watch! The Speedy actually looks damn good on a green NATO. I’m green with envy! Big Grin Beautiful watches! You have exquisite taste.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21064 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I dig em.

My only gripe with the Ward is the logo at 9 o’clock. I miss the old logo at 12. Bang for the buck I don’t think you can beat the brand though.

And yeah. That Omega looks good on literally anything. I was shocked how good it works on an OD nato.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Razz
I did say 'new'
Didn't rule out vthoky rejects

Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13424 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I don’t think the perfect watch exists.

Acquiring my grail watch only resulted in a 7-10 month lull in my watch interests, which then evolved slightly.

I suppose I still have a grail watch to strive for, a vintage Heuer Solunar which ranges from expensive to ridiculous depending on its condition. When you consider an $80 G-shock rescue has the same capability and then some it becomes hard to explain to non watch enthusiasts.

It’s a hobby/addiction that often seems to defy logic.

**edit to add**

copaup, those are gorgeous! Christopher Ward is one of my favorite brands ever. That is a sharp watch! The Speedy actually looks damn good on a green NATO. I’m green with envy! Big Grin Beautiful watches! You have exquisite taste.

I think you hit the nail on the head, Stickman! There is no "perfect" watch that (IMHO) negates the enthusiasts' recognition of quality offerings and the desire to acquire others. I'd also apply this trait to the recognition of quality straps and bracelets.

Copaup's Christopher Ward and Speedmaster are no exception. That green NATO strap is beautiful and though I'm sure the OEM bracelet was very nice too, the ability to switch out straps in only a few minutes gives the owner a plethora of options. Prior to the arrival of my Hamilton Khaki Aviation, I ordered up several NATO straps and also a two piece leather offering from The Strapsmith. I switched out the deep blue NATO Supreme a few days ago and I think the new leather addition gives the watch a new look.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
That is a SHARP looking Hamilton.

I just ordered a two piece leather rally style strap with quick release spring bars for my Speedy. I’ve got a couple for my Wards, but they are 22mm and the speedy is 20. Those quick release spring bars are slick. Makes changing leather as quick as swapping Natos.

The bracelet for my Omega is very nice. I’ve put it away in its box should I ever wish to put it back on. I spend a lot of time at a keyboard at work and I absolutely wreck the clasps. Don’t have to worry about scratching up nylon…

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I scooped up a used Steinhart Ocean 39 GMT 500 and lucked into getting one with an ETA movement. Cool

The newest version of the Ocean 39 GMT lists only the Sellita SW330 movement. Previously, before ETA began cutting off supplying movements outside of Swatch group you would see watches with both Sellita and ETA movements with the ETA movements being more desirable.

39mm might be the perfect size for a watch. While 41-43mm has more wrist presence and might look better they cannot match the comfort of a 39mm watch on the wrist.

I really like the look of this watch on a premium seatbelt material NATO.

The obligatory mesh pic. Big Grin

If you look under the “AN” in “OCEAN THIRTY NINE” on the case back you can see the ETA logo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21064 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I really like those "Batman" bezels.

Black/silver/royal blue is probably my favorite watch color combination.

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wish I could see your photos, stickman. I don't know what's up with my laptop. Your not the only poster who's photos I don't see, but some I see fine.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wish I could see your photos, stickman. I don't know what's up with my laptop. Your not the only poster who's photos I don't see, but some I see fine.

Maybe an issue with your computer & postimg?
Does this one show for you?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Blue question mark.

FWIW, I have a very old Mac Pro with an outdated operating system. I'm afraid to upgrade to current system for fear of crashing everything. Maybe that's the problem...

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an incompatibility with your OS/Computer & postimg hosted photos, in this case at least.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I think so too...in some cases, yet on this page I see pullicords pic and I always see r0gue's pics.

I'll try to get to an Apple store sometime and see how far I can upgrade.

Sorry for the drift, fellas.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
You could use a different internet browser but first I would clear your internet history. I had an issue with mine not displaying images on the forum but when I reset my browser (safari) I could see pictures again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I've tried Chrome with the same result.

I'm a bit reluctant to completely clear my history as I'm afraid I'll lose some auto passwords that I no longer remember. Maybe that's a lame excuse, but a fear I have.

Sorry for the drift.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
What are ya'lls thoughts on the various $200-$300ish dive watch microbrands that use Seiko automatic movements? Stuff like Islander, Deep Blue, Spinnaker, or Phoibos. (Others?)

Seems like these offer a lot of bang for the buck in a couple hundred dollar dive watch, with some nice upgrades over the bigger name dive watches in that price range, like sapphire crystals and ceramic bezels, along with a wider variety of interesting color combinations and dial designs.

So on paper, they appear to be a step up in features compared to a Citizen, Orient, or Seiko diver in that same price range, but are they a step down in comparable quality as a result?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I've owned a Deep Blue and a Phoibos. Both were quality timepieces. Sold them to finance another project. I purchase 3 Helm watches. Again, an excellent purchase. 1 of the HELM watches was a gift for my SIL.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
What are ya'lls thoughts on the various $200-$300ish dive watch microbrands that use Seiko automatic movements? Stuff like Islander, Deep Blue, Spinnaker, or Phoibos. (Others?)

As much as I try not to send any money to China, I have purchased two Steel Dives from Aliexpress, Both use NH35 Seiko movements and the quality of both has left me speechless for the money, on sale right around $100 each. I have always liked the Capt Willard and the Marinemaster Tuna from Seiko. My logic before spending the big money on the Seiko's I could wear these to see how much I liked the style first. Not only do they have a Seiko heart but the in some ways they are better than the originals.

Posts: 3560 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've read a little about the various Aliexpress options, but I'm pretty hesitant to go that route.

While I understand that many (most?) of the $200ish microbrands source their dive watches from Hong Kong anyway, you're at least getting a US-based retailer and US warranty support.

And you're not having to deal with Chinese shipping/customs, or send your personal information or credit card info to China...