SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:
So when I was buying that Seamaster I was wearing my Speedy moon watch.

The guy in the Omega shop was wearing one as well and was excited about the 50th Anniversary edition coming out this year. No release date or prices but now there is one more that I will be lusting after.

It'll have a 361 Cal movement.
Back to the column wheel chrono.
Hopefully it'll get the 861 higher beat.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
OK, since he got the Pogue.

Pawnshop brother sent me THIS.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
Full disclosure, I'm a FNG when it comes to watches. Started with a pair of Citizens and moved on to Seiko.

After seeing all these Omegas, on a whim, I did a quick local search. On craigslist. Yes, I know, but please put the pitchforks down for a moment.

Amongst all the crap was an ad from what appears to be a seller in a nice burb for a 1962 Omega Seamaster. It's advertised as original. A google image search showed no duplicate pics.

The specs are a 565 caliber, 24 jewel auto movement, and what I think is the model number, 166.003. Not the best pics, but they did go so far as to photo the inside of the case back that had what I presume is sharpie marker notations (strange for an "original" watch. Sent in for a going over and deemed "good to go"?)

It's advertised as ULTRA RARE. Of course it isn't, or it would be advertised elsewhere.. Is it a desireable watch for the price? I like the simplicity.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.o...ster/6798914051.html

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
...they did go so far as to photo the inside of the case back that had what I presume is sharpie marker notations (strange for an "original" watch. Sent in for a going over and deemed "good to go"?)

WOSTEP-certified watchmaker here. Mechanical watches need periodic servicing (cleaning and re-lubricating) every few years. When it's done, the watchmaker often uses a Sharpie or similar marker to put the date and his or her identifying mark on the inside of the case back. (It used to be common to scratch the marks with a graver, but that's no longer considered good practice.) So it's not "strange" for an original watch unless it's one that was never used and was allowed to dry up.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It's a 166 series, it's NOT rare and only worth $500-$600.

The strap with deployant clasp is a chinese replica.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
posted Hide Post
^^^
That's a beaut! Love the hands, and the number font.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
posted Hide Post
BrianO, thanks for the tech info. Good knowledge for me to have as I learn more about the watch addiction!

Mars, thanks for your input also. I understand "ultra rare" and craigslist don't go together, but I had to ask, just to satisfy my curiosity. Seems for me to offer a fair price, I'd come off as a craigslist lowballer Big Grin

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
It's a 166 series, it's NOT rare and only worth $500-$600.

The strap with deployant clasp is a chinese replica.

There are four 166.003's on chrono24 and they are all $900+. I don't know if those are good prices but they're farily consistent.
https://www.chrono24.com/omega/ref-166003.htm#gref

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Chrono24 is filled with scammers.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
25 jewel ETA 2824 Elaboree
Voyager case No. 583/900 circa 2002

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 'fun' watch...press the upper button, hear "Take Me Out To The Ballgame"....

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
25 jewel ETA 2824 Elaboree
Voyager case No. 583/900 circa 2002

Interesting!

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
This watch has no soul ... I checked

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post

Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Hadn't looked online for batteries in a while but realized this week that the proper 1.35V batteries are available again for the Bulova Accutron. My dad's watch is making that tuning fork sound that I haven't heard in years.

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdblanton:
Hadn't looked online for batteries in a while but realized this week that the proper 1.35V batteries are available again for the Bulova Accutron. My dad's watch is making that tuning fork sound that I haven't heard in years.

Michael

Nice remembrance of your dad. Great watch.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20301 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Nice remembrance of your dad. Great watch.

RMD

Thanks. He turned 77 yesterday and was pretty surprised to learn that I had it running. All he wears now is a Fit Bit while I turned out to be the one in our family enamored with watches.

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Love that Hamilton!

I saw a Hamilton Thin-o-matic in the case at the jewelry store last week. I want to go back and check it out again soon.

God bless America.

Posts: 13420 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Looky what I got today! Big Grin

I've got that watch, ordered from Hong Kong, 1972? Now I'll have to see if I can find it.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post