SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 468 469 470 471 472 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
CPD SIG,

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin that’s great!!! I am glad you got to check out a Pelagos LHD. It’s one of the coolest divers ever made.

Before I knew about the roulette day wheel I noticed pics of the LHD with either black or red dates and assumed incorrectly that all the days were red or black. I remember hoping mine was the red variant.

Imagine my surprise when I first adjusted the watch and learned that the red and black dates alternated. Big Grin Big Grin

Unfortunately, that was the only Roulette Wheel I knew about over the weekend. Frown

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8346 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I think the SBGY013 would be my choice of those 4, but agree it needs a different bracelet.

It's pretty, but it's a "dress watch" only -- water resistance is listed as "Splash resistant." I'd be scared to death to wear it as a daily. Frown

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Because I already own an abundance of divers including a spring drive diver this Grand Seiko is my #1. I won’t be able to find one new old stock and honestly I wouldn’t be able to buy one for a long time.

If/when I do decide to find one it seems like tracking a nice example down online shouldn’t be too hard. The only issue will be the steep price of admission as they seem to be going for around $6k.

My favorite enabler at the boutique was busy at first when I went in to look at and purchase the Seiko Prospex LX SNR031. One of her coworkers retrieved the SNR031 and mentioned he had one of these while I was also looking at the Sea of Clouds hi beat.

Spring Drive GMT reference: SBGE275

For comparison the similar Sea of Clouds that I could have got from the boutique at a modest discount..tempting but I’d rather have the spring drive version.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the SBGE275s in 2022 and I'm very pleased with it. With the "High Beat" movement, the more recent (Sea of Clouds) offering from Grand Seiko doesn't have as much of a power reserve as the GMT Anniversary model or the level of daily accuracy. I found my SBGE275 on Chrono24 and paid the original price for you, but you might be able to do better if you wait a bit and spend more time than I did looking.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Well today had a surprise in store for me. My wife had mentioned that she wanted to buy me a watch. Turns out she wasn’t joking.
We made a trip to the city. Had a pretty fun date day. Found an acceptable Pho restaurant and had a quite tasty lunch. She looked at a bunch of sparkly stuff at the mall. I ended up taking home a Longines Hydroconquest GMT.

I have wanted a GMT for a long time. I wanted a traveler GMT, not an office GMT. Rolex pissed me off and I don’t want their watches right now, plus I sure as shit won’t pay three times retail for a used watch. In all honesty, if they would sell me a Rolex GMT at retail price, I would buy it and resell it the same day doubling my money.

I have been looking at other GMT offerings and I haven’t found one I like as much as this. I think I love everything about this watch. The only change I would make is the bezel would have 2,4,6,8, etc. instead of 10, 20, 30, etc. and a clear case back, because I like to see the movement.

All in all I am really happy with this watch. It wears really nicely. It’s not so heavy so it won’t to try to swivel on your wrist. The bracelet has a good taper to it, making it very comfortable. Inside the clasp it has a micro adjustment. It gives three micro adjustment points, adding a total length of 5mm to the bracelet. Great for hot days. The hands are bright contrast to the black dial so I can read the time, even without readers. I think it’s just a fantastic watch. I looked at the brown, and it wasn’t for me. I already have the IWC Spitfire in green. The blue is nice, but I just prefer the black.

Here are a few pics of my new Hydroconquest GMT.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
That's sharp Bean, congrats

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That’s a nice GMT diver! I love it when the 24 hours is incorporated into the chapter ring rather than the bezel.

When Seiko recently started making GMT divers some people were against it but honestly it is my favorite type of diver. It’s a great addition to have while traveling and also gives you a nice linear reading for how much of the day is done/left. Retaining the incredibly useful rotating bezel for timing things is also nice.

Longines has tempted me a few times with their throwback watches. They make a chronograph diver with a red bezel insert that I came close to getting but other watches have always managed to win out.

Great looking watch Beancooker! That adjustable clasp is quite similar to Omega’s design. I bet the easily adjusted bracelet makes for a very comfortable watch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I missed out on a sweet Sinn 757 UTC. This is a model I really fancy because of its unique and easy to read dial as well as its extra/UTC hour hand that can even be seamlessly hidden behind the other hour hand.

Bring from the 757 area code (Hampton roads VA) the model designation matching my old stomping ground area code is kind of neat.

Oh well. I’ll find one of these one day. On a more positive note I do have a lead on another Sinn that I REALLY like.

I wish I had not hesitated when I had the chance to get this watch full kit and all for a very fair price.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I sold my 757UTC about two years ago, I think for $3800. I had just had it overhauled by Sinn. Killer, beautiful watch.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I had a chance to get that one for $1900 shipped. Frown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Slowly getting back into watches now that I have "fun money" again. Here's my latest, a Heimdallr 6105 in PVD Black.

Based on a special limited edition Seiko Prospex from a few years back, said to be inspired by the early rays of dawn on the ocean at night.

https://www.seikowatches.com/u...ckseries_limited-2nd

Specs are outstanding for the price, especially considering this watch was on sale for just a mere $80 (normally $150) compared to $1300 for the original Prospex.

Even with the addition of this PVD bracelet with a milled clasp and screw-adjustable solid links, the whole package was under $100 all told.

It has a Seiko NH35 automatic movement, sapphire glass with AR coating, ceramic lumed bezel, applied indices, and great Superluminova lume - including matched orange lume on the minute hand, second hand, and first 20 minutes of the bezel.

I will note that I did have an issue with the hands when the watch first arrived, where the minute hand was installed 180* off so the hour hand would line up with the hour index when the minute hand was at the 30 minute mark. The seller gave me a 50% refund ($40) and asked that I take it to a local shop to remove and reinstall the hands correctly. I did that, which cost me just $26. So even with that bobble, I came out ahead, and the watch was well worth the minor hassle.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
That's a nice find, Rogue! I like it.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Based on a special limited edition Seiko Prospex

I like that, too, in the "1968" case (SPB255).

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now you just need to suddenly “realize” that you really need to swap the dial, and then the hands, and then…

Sooo much fun!

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Slowly getting back into watches now that I have "fun money" again. Here's my latest, a Heimdallr 6105 in PVD Black.

Based on a special limited edition Seiko Prospex from a few years back, said to be inspired by the early rays of dawn on the ocean at night.

Rogue, Again, another beautiful piece!
Quick Question- The blue, is that just a reflection off of of something or is there blue in the chapter ring?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8346 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
If it’s anything like my sharky Capt’n Willard it has a generous amount of blue anti reflective coating on the inside of the crystal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Doxa has managed to capture my attention…yet again!

I thought, incorrectly that obtaining a Seaconqueror in Orange would give me a reprieve. I was damn wrong. It’s a an awesome watch for sure but this one is tempting!!!

The new Sub 200T is looking damn sharp in those smaller size specs!! And with both flat or reflective dials. This company is making a serious effort to please everyone!
Doxa’s latest down scaled temptation

Same iconic looks just downsized to a super manageable 39mm case size !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Quick Question- The blue, is that just a reflection off of of something or is there blue in the chapter ring?

That's just the sunlight reflecting off the blue antireflective coating on the crystal.

The sapphire crystal is clear, but the AR coating gives off a slightly blue tint in direct bright light.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So I’ve been really worried lately that I might not be getting enough of a left arm workout… So I solved that issue!

This is definitely a chunky boy. I’m scared to try weighing it. Not excessively large, even considering an 45mm diameter, but with the way the band mounts up under the edge, it’s very comfortable, size wise. But so very, very thick! 14mm of stainless steel.

Started out with an AddiesDive MY-H6, but I wanted something a bit more standout. So, new dial, hands to match, and a Lincoln bracelet from Uncle.

It’s supposed to have a 1000 meter rating. I might be dubious about that, but I’m guessing it would stop anything short of an AP round, as long as it hit from the side!

That’s a 33mm dial tucked away in there.

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That’s a great build!! I LOVE the dial!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Agreed, love the dial

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post