SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Moon & Mercury would be my top choices on the Swatch as well.
The closest store to me is an hour on a good day. If I happen to be nearby I might look, but don't get to that side of town often.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Jackpot. Wanna sell one for a modest profit?

I got two at work that want to see the Jupiter.

If no takers, it's yours.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mars

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
A better shot of my Citizen watches with Flieger-B dials.

Good God, man, you're killing me with those B dials! I've been eyeballing one of these for a couple years now. His initial offerings had date windows I wasn't wild about, and I said if he came out with a 42mm no-date with 22mm lugs, I'd buy one. Ran my mouth and then didn't actually buy one when either of these were in stock:

https://longislandwatch.com/is...-pilot-watch-isl-48/

https://longislandwatch.com/is...-pilot-watch-isl-15/

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Those Islanders look like nice retro Flieger-Bs, P220... Sucks that you missed the boat on their release, but Islander pilot watches seem to pop up on eBay quite often. I'm sure you could hunt a 42mm no-date down without too much trouble. Also check Mercari and Poshmark, which are kind of like eBay but just for fashion (including watches).

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you're wanting a Moonswatch, but don't want to trek to a Swatch store and fight the crowds or pay exorbinant scalper prices, here's an interesting alternative... Plus it has a stainless case and sapphire crystal, instead of the plastic case and mineral crystal on the Swatch.

https://spechtandsohne.com/products/chronomaster-moon

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I like everything about it, except the sub dials Big Grin

Maybe if it was just the Moon dial at 6:00, but all 3 looks too busy.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I like everything about it, except the sub dials Big Grin

Well, you're in luck!

https://spechtandsohne.com/pro...s/chronomaster-black

(This one's more of just an outright Speedmaster copy, rather than a more playful riff on it like the Planetary version.)

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Red Face
Pretending to not see it....

Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Since it looks like I will be waiting quite a while on a Helm, does anyone have any experience with Spinnaker watches?

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'll let you know in about a week when the Spinnaker I bought gets here. Big Grin

I found an older discontinued model (Hunley) with the dial that I was wanting. Same one I posted about a couple pages back, but in green instead of gray.

Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I went back and looked at that post. The Hunley is a nice looking watch. I'll wait to see how you like it.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Found this interesting company today.

BYOP (Be Your Own Pilot) Watches is a relatively new US-based microbrand founded by a retired LEO, which within just the last year or two has come out with their debut models of six different pilot watches, which are all similar cases but with varying different styles of dials and bezels.

They all have internal rotating bezels, which still allow you to track time like a dive bezel, just using an internal ring manipulated via a second crown rather than an external ratcheting ring. Very similar to the Citizen fliegers I own, just with an adjustable minute bezel.

And at ~$250, they're very reasonably priced.

You can see specs and details of all six models here: https://www.byopwatches.com/air-force-collection

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I wish Hamilton made something like this with an automatic.

There are not many quartz watches that I find tempting. This is one of the few.
Dan Henry WWII Chronograph

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Those BYOP look nice, the Navtimer & Avitimer would be my choice of the 6.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Good choices. The Aviator and Avitimer I posted pics of earlier would be my choices.

I like how simple and clear the dials are. The owner/designer stated that he based them off aircraft instrument dials for maximum readability/visibility.

quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
There are not many quartz watches that I find tempting. This is one of the few.

Dang... There's a whole lot going on with those watch faces!

"Yo man, I heard you liked dials, so we put dials within dials within dials within dials within dials, so you can dial while you dial..."

Big Grin

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Compared to Omega’s new chronograph that Dan Henry WWII style watch dial almost seems clean. Eek Big Grin

Subdial/sections for
Lightning strike/thunder range estimator
Heart rate
Speed
Something else ?
Maybe something else?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Subdial/sections for
Lightning strike/thunder range estimator
Heart rate
Speed
Something else ?
Maybe something else?

So... an analog smartwatch?

Does it print your incoming texts via a ticker tape ribbon out the side? Big Grin

And actually, despite the more numerous inner dials, I find the Omega to be significantly more legible.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Compared to Omega’s new chronograph that Dan Henry WWII style watch dial almost seems clean. Eek Big Grin

4 or 5 different colors compared to 2 on the Omega.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I have a two sub dial Omega Speedmaster like that except mine doesn’t have all the extra markings. The one subdial is running seconds, while the other has two hands for hours and minutes with 60 hash marks. I can’t read it. My eyes just aren’t good enough anymore. A 60 minute counter puts the marks too close together. If I can’t see that, there’s no way I’d could see any of the rest of those markings without using my phone to take a photo to zoom into.

I’m thinking my next chronograph will have a central minutes hand. On the other hand, my Casio ProTrek has a digital display stopwatch I can read fine and I have a nice Robic triple timer for serious work.

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post