SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 ... 473
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
I really hate this hobby/addiction. Has anyone else seen this new Marathon, they used to be a plastic material but now it comes in stainless steel, oh so tempting.

https://calibre321.com/2023/04...tor-pilot-with-date/

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I like it more than its predecessor, since I can't see myself spending ~$450-$500 for a quartz movement in a plastic case.

But while this stainless rendition is definitely a step in the right direction, ~$800 for a quartz watch (even one in a steel case) is a hard sell.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This Hamilton Khaki Scuba came all the way from Japan and for the stupid good price of $319 shipped! It has one of my favorite dials. I’m pretty into chronographs these days but as far as three hand automatics go this one blends class with functionality and a very easy to read dial. This khaki dial layout slightly modified of course for chrono subdials & relocated day/ date is quite close in looks to the dial of the stealthy Hamilton watch that was used in the Jack Ryan series on Amazon.

It has a few marks on the case and the aluminum bezel insert has acquired quite a few scratches as is usual for these watches but overall I’m impressed. This Hamilton is keeping pretty dang good time over the past few days.

For a go anywhere do anything (within 100m) watch that looks and feels great on the wrist this is one of best in the Hamilton Khaki line.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That looks great. I'm keeping an eye out for one as well.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Very nice, stick! Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Got to hang with Mars Attacks a bit last night and add this one to the collection. Proudly on my wrist today.

Looks fantastic. I really like the moonswatch.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I like it more than its predecessor, since I can't see myself spending ~$450-$500 for a quartz movement in a plastic case.

But while this stainless rendition is definitely a step in the right direction, ~$800 for a quartz watch (even one in a steel case) is a hard sell.

Exactly, at that price thats just too much.
I could have gotten a Marathon GSAR for $200 more last year before they raised prices, still kicking myself about that. Really do like it though, but I would rather have the Hamilton that Stickman just posted.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by shoevb:
Since it looks like I will be waiting quite a while on a Helm, does anyone have any experience with Spinnaker watches?

I'll let you know in about a week when the Spinnaker I bought gets here. Big Grin

As promised:

This arrived today, a Spinnaker Hunley in Emerald color. The Hunley is a discontinued model, and this one in particular is apparently from their line produced for the Japan market, which has a different dial, bezel, and hands than their standard Hunley models.

Mine's a SP5102 model "Japan Market" Hunley, and here's what the standard SP5080 model Hunley would look like:

This is my first purchase of a "Goldilocks" watch like I posted about earlier, with a numeric pilot-style dial combined with a diver-style bezel. This isn't 100% exactly what I wanted, but I found this New Old Stock watch at a price that I couldn't say no to, and decided to give it a shot. They were $320 normally; I paid $125 shipped.

It uses the ubiquitous Seiko NH35 automatic movement. It's 41.5mm in diameter and 14mm thick, with a sapphire lens on both the front as well as the display back. The bezel is metal with a slightly textured colored finish, and this is one of the only things where I can fault the watch... I would have preferred a ceramic bezel for extra scratch resistance, and I would have preferred the full minute hash markings to be on the bezel instead of around the perimeter of the dial. But for the price, I can't really complain.

The color is actually different than I expected. I anticipated it being a green bezel on a matching green dial, but while the dial is a dark forest green (with a sand texture), the bezel is a bronzey olive green, or perhaps a greenish khaki. Looks good together with the colors of the forest green dial and light yellowish green indices, just different than I expected.

Overall, I'm seriously impressed with the quality of this watch, and not just for the price. It's noticeably higher quality than either of the other two microbrand divers I've purchased (Phoibos and Islander), both of which retail for around the same as this Spinnaker would. The Spinnaker's bezel action is tighter and smoother, and the crown and movement especially are buttery smooth without the hint of roughness like I've encountered on every other sub-$500 auto watch I've fiddled with.

The bracelet is also very high quality, with no corners cut there either. It has solid end links, solid links, and a milled clasp, unlike the cheaper hollow end links, rolled/formed links, and stamped clasp that some watch brands use to keep prices low. The split pin links were a snap to size. Based on what I've seen online for buying bracelets of this quality, if I were to buy this bracelet alone it likely would cost almost what I paid for the entire watch!

While this is just an anecdotal sample of one, and a discontinued model at that, if this is indicative of Spinnaker's build quality then I'd say that whichever Spinnaker model you're looking at is well worth picking up. Especially at their extremely reasonable pricing, with their current models running ~$300-$500 at retail. Definitely a better quality option than a big name Seiko/Citizen/etc. at the same price point.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I like the bladed hands & black date window on yours better, but prefer the fully numbered dial on the 5080.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I like the bladed hands & black date window on yours better, but prefer the fully numbered dial on the 5080.

I completely agree. If this watch had a fully numbered dial and a ceramic bezel with full minute markings, it'd be a home run. As it is, it's still a great score.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Fantastic looking watch! What a dial, I love the sandy texture and number indices on the dial.

That looks like a great score!

I just had a super sweet deal ($550-700 under average cost on chrono24) Eek on a Hamilton Pan Europ Chronograph with a silver dial fall through. I got my money back but it is supremely frustrating when what you think is a done deal collapses.

On a positive note half the fun is in the hunt so for now the search goes on. There have also been a few even more interesting watches that have come available very recently so it’s not really bad news at all. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I do like that Spinnaker. Nice find.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stickman428, Your Hamilton Khaki looks great. Longtime fan of Hamiltons. Here's my latest I just retired and wanted a watch with a day of the week function. IMG_0879 by Tom C, on Flickr

Posts: 112 | Location: Deep south | Registered: August 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Questions.

How tough is it to change a metal band to a leather band?

What is a nice leather band?

My problem is the Hamilton watch I want is not available with the strap I envisioned. I wanted it for a nice dress watch, and I just like that with simple leather.

Posts: 7527 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5: How tough is it to change a metal band to a leather band?

Some watches have bracelets that are integrated into the case design, and they can be challenging to replace. Most, though, use bracelets that are held into the lugs with simple spring bars, and they're a snap to change, especially if you get a good spring bar tool.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. Removing a bracelet and installing a leather strap is a cinch, taking less than a minute.

BrianO is correct about fixed bars vs spring bars, but your Hamilton will use spring bars, so the bracelet can easily be swapped for any other appropriately-sized watch band you want. (Hamiltons will typically use straps that are either 20mm or 22mm width depending on the model; the specs will state the lug width, which dictates the strap width.)

All you'll need is a spring bar tool, and many replacement watch straps come with one included anyway. This is an example of a spring bar tool:

They even offer quick-release spring bars now, which don't require a spring bar tool to remove. This allows you to swap out bands in seconds with no tools, meaning you can change them every day if you wanted, so you can color coordinate it to your mood or to your clothing or whatever.

This is a photo showing quick-release spring bars, including ones integrated into this leather strap. You just pull back on the protruding knob with a thumbnail, and pop the band out, then install a different quick-release band using the same technique.

quote:
Originally posted by goose5:

While not the fanciest, I think Barton watch bands are a great value for the money. And most of their 2 piece leather straps will have integrated quick release spring bars like those shown above.

https://www.bartonwatchbands.com/

(Also available through Amazon.)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
Questions.

How tough is it to change a metal band to a leather band?

My problem is the Hamilton watch I want is not available with the strap I envisioned. I wanted it for a nice dress watch, and I just like that with simple leather.

Like BrianO and Rogue have stated, it's not hard at all. Those "quick release" spring bars are nice!

I like the heavy duty ones, but thats me.

https://countycomm.com/collect...bars-for-sar-watches

NATO straps and leather NATO straps you can now swap out as you wish.

https://countycomm.com/collect...ch-straps-by-maratac

https://www.crownandbuckle.com...pEAAYASAAEgLc_fD_BwE

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tjcj:
Stickman428, Your Hamilton Khaki looks great. Longtime fan of Hamiltons. Here's my latest I just retired and wanted a watch with a day of the week function. IMG_0879 by Tom C, on Flickr

Tjcj, Congratulations on your retirement! I love the Hamilton you chose to celebrate retirement. DLC/PVD watches are some of my favorites. The day function is very useful and while it’s not super common on the type of watch I like most (Divers) thankfully Seiko, Sinn and Hamilton make a few examples that check nearly every box on my list.

Enjoy that Hamilton! It is a gorgeous watch. I’ve been tempted by that exact model myself but since I have the stainless version I have thus far resisted the urge to expand my DLC/PVD watch collection.

I’m guessing you got the Powermatic80 movement right? Hamilton moved away from the ETA 2824-2 movement in that watch years ago. If yours is anything like mine it should surprise you with its accuracy out of the box and that amazing power reserve. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Tjcj, Congratulations on your retirement! I love the Hamilton you chose to celebrate retirement.

I'll echo that! Congratulations, and that's a sharp-looking Hamilton.

I'll get another Hamilton sometime. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Just ordered my Helm Komodo. Went with the black dial with BGW9 lume, a black and gray NATO and added a matching stainless bezel. Would've also bought the SS1 bracelet, but they were out of stock.

Again, many thanks h2oys! Smile

Watchbox is getting full of stuff I don't wear. Time to do a cleanout.

Your welcome and I'm looking forward to pics.

Posts: 3726 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post