SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Really enjoying this thread.

I watch a lot of the gun tubers on YouTube and have started viewing a few of the watch channels. I find The Timepiece Gentleman's channel particularly entertaining. Just about everything discussed is way out of my price range but it's fun to see some of the watches that pass through their store. It's also an interesting perspective on how the gray market works.

Michael

Posts: 1102 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Love that Helson, Mars.

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Looks like I'm ordering the Blackbeard chrono now. It's bad ass and uses a 7750 movement.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Very nice, I like the illuminated skull and crossbones

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
A fine gift from my dad. I have joined the automatic watch fraternity with a gift from my dad. A Baume & Mercier Capeland Automatic Chronograph with the 45216 movement. He bought it used in 2006 in celebration of his 50th anniversary. Mom got a trip to England.

He's 93, and said he wanted me to have it while he was still alive to see me enjoy it, and enjoy it I will, as soon as I locate some links for the band. I'm a bit bigger than dad and I can't get it over my hand, much less around my wrist.

I can't express how happy and proud I am to have this, and the opportunity to wear it. Dad wasn't much for luxury. He was born just before, and lived through, the Great Depression. It scarred him for life, and he was never known to waste a cent.

This was his luxury; he has given it to me, and I am humbled.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. He certainly took good care of it.

Congrats!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

A fine gift from my dad.
VERY nice! As my grandmother would have said, "You should wear it in good health."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Great story and beautiful watch ArtieS.

Posts: 3724 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Incredible and meaningful gift! Enjoy and he'll enjoy you wearing it. Hurry up and get those links! Smile

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
^^^^I've already contacted Dave Truong!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eTripper:
Picked-up this Helm Vanuatu in titanium. So far, I'm liking this watch.

I'm on the waiting list as well...not a peep from Helm thus far. Really nice watches. And man, definitely tougher to track down at decent prices in the secondary market.

That being said, I gotta admit...as much as I rotate watches, quartz and solar are probably a more practical choice for my personal needs on a day to day basis. But at least nice auto or two is good have in the rotation so your can appreciate them. Usually wind up on the wrist on the weekends.

Watches are definitely one of those things that are interesting, and since they're politically correct, you can appreciate/display/share/discuss them anywhere.

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Artie, what an honor! That's more than just a watch he gave you.

quote:
Originally posted by Boss1:
Watches are definitely one of those things that are interesting, and since they're politically correct, you can appreciate/display/share/discuss them anywhere.

I agree, and this has been one of my favorite things about getting into watches. You can talk them with anyone else who is an enthusiast.

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
A fine gift from my dad. I have joined the automatic watch fraternity with a gift from my dad. A Baume & Mercier Capeland Automatic Chronograph with the 45216 movement. He bought it used in 2006 in celebration of his 50th anniversary. Mom got a trip to England.

He's 93, and said he wanted me to have it while he was still alive to see me enjoy it, and enjoy it I will, as soon as I locate some links for the band. I'm a bit bigger than dad and I can't get it over my hand, much less around my wrist.

I can't express how happy and proud I am to have this, and the opportunity to wear it. Dad wasn't much for luxury. He was born just before, and lived through, the Great Depression. It scarred him for life, and he was never known to waste a cent.

This was his luxury; he has given it to me, and I am humbled.

Not only is that a beautiful watch, it's an amazing gift with which to honor your dad.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Artie, that is SUPER nice, and what a great story. I have my Dad's old Elgin. It's plated and much of the plating is gone from his sweat while he worked selling cookware door to door. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Posts: 11388 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
That's very classy, Artie!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is a lovely watch, and cheers to your dad.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Artie, quite a heirloom. I truly hope you'll be able to find some matching links but I fear that may prove very difficult. I have seen some other factory bracelets that were quite close that you may end up having to swap in instead.

As an aside, mine that I inherited is a 1965 Omega Constellation PiePan.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Anyone else wearing a watch with a bit of green today?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post

In truth, I'm wearing this one today, like every other day.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Very nice! That Sinn is amazing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post