SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous watches vthoky & P220 Smudge!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
OK I bought an Invicta.
It's an older Abyss model with the Miyota movement. It doesn't seem to suffer from the Miyota stutter as bad as others I've seen.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39754 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Picked-up this Helm Vanuatu in titanium. So far, I'm liking this watch.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post

The Ancyent Marinere Collection from D.Freemont
Watches include "Ancyent Marinere", "Panama", and "Voyager"
ETA Cal. 2824-2 25 jewels Swiss Automatic. Sapphire crystals front and back
Only the ANCYENT MARINERE has luminous markings. PANAMA and VOYAGER do not.

A paraphrase, "THE RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER" by Samuel Taylor Coleridge

The Ancient Mariner, the character from the poem by Coleridge, 1798, relates the tale of himself aboard a ship that sets sail in the Atlantic Ocean somewhere North of the Equator, (The Line) ~ perhaps Florida.

The journey takes the ship South along the Atlantic Coast of South America, around the cold and turbulent waters of Cape Horn, then North into the Pacific Ocean. While in the rough, dangerous and depressing Arctic seas off the Cape, an Albatross began to follow the ship. The crew hailed the bird as a good omen and believed that God had sent it to keep them safe.

The malevolent Mariner killed the Albatross with a crossbow. The fog and nasty seas were blamed upon the bird and therefore, when fair winds and optimism engulfed the crew again, they agreed that it was good for the Albatross to die.

As the ship continued upon the Northward course with fair weather, the Line was crossed again. Suddenly, the ship was becalmed ... the sea was still ... the sun did burn ... "Water, water, everywhere and not a drop to drink". The crew placed the shame, misfortune, and dead bird around the Mariner's neck. One by one the crew all fell to the sea, leaving only the Marinere to contemplate the deed. The calm finally broke. The angels sent the Mariner onward again, alone. Eventually the illusionary and solitary Mariner reached land where he is compelled to tell his story to relieve his pain and shame to all he encounters with this message, "Be kind to all, beast or bird and man".

The Ancyent Marinere

David Freemont had this to say about the Ancyent Marinere ...

The Ancyent Marinere watch was conceived by the designer, having appreciated this great literary work, seeking to capture a mystical and perhaps some amulet power as well.

The watch and the message is more than a time-table. It's noble and admirable.

A new luminescence material imparts a super-natural glow to the dial and hands, an essence of moonlight. There is a paranormal prescience reported by some. The designer admits that these references are not empirical nor are they meant to be indicative ... merely subjective observations expressed by some.

The unique design reflects aspects of the poem:

- The numerals are a black green color like the South Atlantic waters.
- The Albatross is placed on one o'clock near the aspect of the sextant reading for the equator.
- The deadly doldroms of the sea drama alludes to a location near the Galapagos Islands, "05N/95W" which is the watch's reference number on the back bezel.
- The most pointed connection is the inscription inside the back crystal, "Water, water, everywhere nor any drop to leak". [LEAK instead of DRINK]
- Having been fitted with extra heavy sapphire crystals, screw down crown and back, water resistance is conservatively rated to a depth of 330 feet.

The Panama

David Freemont had this to say about the Panama ...

This watch has many similar features to the original Ancyent Marinere with appropriate changes in design to keep pace with today's watch "science". D.Freemont has produced a unique bezel design for the Panama, an engineering feature of unique importance.

The story recounts the strange voyage that takes the crew through some rough water and psychological battles. The only remaining crew member, the Ancyent Marinere, then devotes his life to righting and enlightening others about the lessons of life.

Our original Ancyent Marinere presents the story in a horological way up until the central character finds himself alone on the deck of a derelict ship with an Albatross around his neck. The sea drama was placed at the coordinates of 05N/95W (the reference number of the watch series) and is inscribed with the derivative quote "Water, water everywhere but not a drop to leak".

The Panama is a continuation of the tale which has a climax at Panama ... 09N/82W (reference # and coordinates). The Marinere continues his message, be kind to man, beast and bird alike, "Nothing is as Noble as Kindness". This is engraved on the back of the watch around the exhibition window.

What has ben said about the Panama with its technological advances and link to literature is truly gratifying to us at d.freemont. We are delighted to offer this wonderful piece, with pride.

The Voyager

David Freemont had this to say about the Voyager ...

The Ancyent Marinere series of watches was inspired by the work of Samuel Coleridge ... written in 1798. This tale, in poetic form, traces the path of a ship, its men and an old seaman, the Ancyent Marinere, to a higher level of Spirituality. The designer feels that it is appropriate to place the Voyager at the climax co-ordinates 09N/82W, since this represents the physical and spiritual placement.

The Voyager is the last in the series, and prophetically the most important as it traces ones own lifetime. I consider this the apex of the message - Be kind to man, bird and beast alike ... a life voyage when man's faith and superstitions are tested. The Ancyent Marinere kills the Albatross, caused by the crew's confusion over the superstitious presence of the bird. Later the crew swings their opinion, hanging the Albatross around the Marinere's neck. The Marinere finds himself the only one left as death has overcome the ship and its crew ... "Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink ... like a painted ship upon a painted ocean" a monologue of despair.

The Voyager's balance wheel reminds us to search the depth of our own soul. The dial color was chosen to replicate the overcast burning sun of a Pacific doldrum. The Albatross is positioned at 6 o'clock reminding us that it did lie dead upon the deck - never to fly again. The old seaman, in his agony, captures our attention and moves along with his sordid tale pointing out that, "He prayeth best, who loveth best, all things both great and small", for nothing is more noble than kindness, as we are but a slice of God who made and loves us all.

David Freemont even included this book along with the watch box and watches (as they became available back then)

I use a Microset Precision Watch and Clock Timer from Mumford Micro Systems to keep all my mechanical watches regulated and timed. It's the same device David Freemont used before shipping his watches.

"Be kind to all, beast or bird and man"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hobbs,

Posts: 4701 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post

... my other current watches ...

Top: Casio Lineage ... atomic, solar
Bottom: Casio F-105
Box: Casio G-SHOCK DW5600E-1V
Left to Right:
Omega Omegamatic
Omega Seamaster
Ollech & Wajs Diver
Ollech & Wajs Cougar
Seiko 5
Tisell Pilot Watch
Bulova Accutron

Posts: 4701 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
My God, the lume on that Ancyent Marinere is amazing, Hobbs. Your good taste in pocket knives extends to your timepieces as well. Very nice.

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
My God, the lume on that Ancyent Marinere is amazing, Hobbs. Your good taste in pocket knives extends to your timepieces as well. Very nice.

Thank you kind sir

DISCLAIMER: I had that Ancyent Marinere on this USB powered CoolFire Solar Watch Fast Charger for a few seconds before I took the picture LOL.
It isn't normally that bright ... but looks "amazing" in the dark any time Wink ... the lume in the face really does give it a "moon glow". Just not a full moon as shown D'OH

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eTripper:

I'm on the wait list for one of these! I can't wait!

Posts: 1714 | Location: CO | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I LOVE that Helm.

I just bought a Helson Sharkmaster 300 Omega triangle dial homage.

I do believe next week I will order the Blackbeard chronograph.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
How long were you on the waiting list?

quote:
Originally posted by eTripper:

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great question about the wait list!

Posts: 1714 | Location: CO | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
The titanium Vanuatu is indeed worth the wait. Thanks for the compliments, and feedback friends. I was only on the 'wait-list' for about four-weeks, after I got the initial product announcement, that this watch; was coming in a titanium-version. The bracelet that they offer looks sharp too! The new batch of Khuraburi's are supposed to be offered soon too. Which is another one, I want to acquire. The Helm's are ISO-certified, which is another-point in their favor. Here are few more pics, that I had time to snap of my new treasure. Here is also, a size-reference with alongside of my Deep Blue NATO.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I'm on the list for a Komodo.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Two expensive hobbies in one pic. Gravel bikes are easily as addictive as dive watches. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
^^^^

stickman, what's that in the center of the handle bar post, some kind of adjustment?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looks like it says Marin (bike brand).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I love the Vanuatu... I'm currently running mine on a NATO with the all silver stainless bezel. I'm on the list for the Titanium one also, but it looks like I may have missed out on the first batch.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1312 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Yours looks very classy on that gray-strap, Tooky. The silver-bezel really makes the dial pop! These watches also; have great lume on the dials too. Usually, the Helm's blow-out fast, especially; when they do a new issue like this titanium-version. I'm currently styling mine on an orange BluShark band. I'm on the list for the next batch of Komodo's. The orange-faced version is a knockout!

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The Helson Sharkmaster 300 Omega homage arrived today.

ETA 2824-2 movement.

Sapphire crystal, sapphire bezel insert with lume.

It has a ratchet adjustable dive extension bracelet. However, it's going bye bye in favor of a Milanese mesh.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mars_Attacks,

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Wow! Your Helson is a stunner; congratulations on the new acquisition. Cool