SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Another Turtle with a Strapcode, this is the Oyster.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
Barton.

Gah!! SF membership introduces yet another place to spend money. Razz

Hey, Smudge mentioned Barton first!

Pretty sure, IIRC, stickman got you hooked on Seiko. Wink

What's less expensive? Big Grin

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Most of my bands are from Barton. Great bang for the buck.

I appreciate this info. I keep seeing them on Amazon, and wasn’t sure if it was quality stuff or what. I’ve been wanting to snag a two piece NATO and a rubber strap to try out. I think I’ll go ahead and order a few. Razz

Oh, you'll likely order a few! I've ordered no less than two at a time.

Sidebar:

I took my sister shopping for her 18th birthday. One painful stop was a shoe store. She kept trying on different colors and styles.

Took. Forever. Mad

That experience is burned in my memory.

Yet, I relive it personally, when I buy watch bands. Big Grin

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
What's less expensive? Big Grin

Well... um... you've got a point there. Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:

--------------------------
I guess I now need to get a band for my turtle. Thanks guy's.

Posts: 2876 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Well I pulled the trigger yesterday.

My Submariner would not completely wind up using the crown and would not wind up at all just by wrist movement.

She was "retired" for the past 6 months and I wore my Omega or my Orient.

I went to the local Rolex dealer from where I originally bought the watch and the full service package was $950. So off to Mother Rolex she goes.

I did ask about the polishing some of you have posted about, and the rep told me if it was a vintage/more valuable time piece, then "yes" he would tell them not to polish the watch. However since mine was a "regular" Submariner, don't worry about it.

The turn around time is 8 to 10 weeks in case you are curious.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Well I pulled the trigger yesterday.

My Submariner would not completely wind up using the crown and would not wind up at all just by wrist movement.

She was "retired" for the past 6 months and I wore my Omega or my Orient.

I went to the local Rolex dealer from where I originally bought the watch and the full service package was $950. So off to Mother Rolex she goes.

I did ask about the polishing some of you have posted about, and the rep told me if it was a vintage/more valuable time piece, then "yes" he would tell them not to polish the watch. However since mine was a "regular" Submariner, don't worry about it.

The turn around time is 8 to 10 weeks in case you are curious.

I would still order it without polishing. They never get vintage if you re-polish them. It doesn't hurt value now, but it makes so that it can never get valuable. Plus, I like the marks I put on a watch or a gun. They make it mine.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
JHE888 makes a good point. Every vintage watch was at some point just a regular watch. If it’s a luxury brand like Rolex I’d definitely request my watch not be polished.

That was one of the many mistakes I made with my Omega Seamaster Professional.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Invicta, I bought this watch about twenty years ago, first attempt at a dressy watch. Model 3359, 42MM Case. I have only worn it a handful of times. Is a dial replacement easy? Never cared for it too much. Is this movement decent? It's second hand movement is almost smooth.

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
In my experience Miyota makes DAMN GOOD movements. I’m guessing that arrow on the rotor is indicating unidirectional winding? It’s a neat quirk that most Miyota movements have. The occasional high speed spin of the rotor doesn’t bother me at all.

I’m not sure how hard dial removal would be on that watch, it’s probably not too bad. You don’t see people modding the Citizen/Miyota autos nearly as much as the Seiko watches but this might be because Citizen largely ignores automatics in favor of solar quartz.

I kinda like that dial. The reflection of the carbon fiber weave looks great with that silver bezel insert.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't imagine the dial replacement would be hard, but I don't know if there are dials that would fit. That may be your problem there.

Miyota makes a good movement

I don't know what movement that is, but it will have a frequency of either 28,800 or 21,600 beats per hour. That means the second hand moves 8 or 6 times a second, which is why it looks smooth. There are watches with lower frequencies, and some with higher frequencies, but those are common frequencies for automatics, and the only two that Miyota ueses, to my knowledge. Seiko makes some Hi-beat 36000 movements, which, as you might guess, have a 36,000 beat per hour frequency, and they look even smoother.

I like your Invicta. Often Invictas are a little too much for my taste, but I like that one. I'd leave it alone.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Item GONE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sounds like a great time for an instant Karma

Probably best if any interested, to email and I will send it to the first responder

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:

-------------------------------------------------
Thanks Snapping Twig. Much appreciate your photo and your time. John

Posts: 2876 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info JHE & Stickman.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
JHE888 makes a good point. Every vintage watch was at some point just a regular watch. If it’s a luxury brand like Rolex I’d definitely request my watch not be polished.

That was one of the many mistakes I made with my Omega Seamaster Professional.

You ain't kidding. I have a Seamaster Pro, and a watchmaker who had it for some service also polished it. He didn't do too bad on the case, but the formerly two texture bracelet is now basically one semi-matte texture. No bright polished links and no brushed links.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
So I couldn't convince myself to wait any longer to order the new bracelet. It arrived this afternoon, and I probably looked like a little kid rushing to ice cream truck when I saw "big brown" arrive.

My usual UPS driver is way cool, and will actually take a minute to chat when he can. I meet him at the road when he rolls in, and he appreciates not having to navigate my steps. Win-win.

Anyway... here's my SKX, looking as [I believe] it should.

Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:...here's my SKX, looking as [I believe] it should.
That looks really nice to my eyes. Really a nice match.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Anyway... here's my SKX, looking as [I believe] it should.

Agreed for a black dialed SKX. Very nice!

But with something else, like my SKX011J orange dial, gold accented bezel, a NATO such as this one sets it off quite nicely where a bracelet wouldn't in my view. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
P220 Smudge, what ever happened with your Invicta?

I decided to go ahead and peel the stickers off it and was pleased to see that the silica from the ruptured packet didn’t manage to actually scratch the watch, so I kept it!

quote:
Which version did you get?

This one:

It’s not bad, especially for $65. I had bought it intending to immediately mod it, but I think I’ll leave it be for a bit. Bezel action feels a bit light and tinny, and it doesn’t line up perfectly. I’m trying to give the cyclops a chance, but I think I’m leaning towards “hate it.” Yes, the lume is a complete joke, and yes, I feel there’s way too much branding on it overall. The crystal doesn’t seem to have any AR coating, and at first, I thought it was scratched up, but that was actually light reflecting off the applied indices onto the inside of the crystal. I haven't worn it much yet, but it's so shiny and busy, it can be hard to read. In the right light....

Those things aside, I like it. I do plan to remove the logo from the case and crown, install an AR coated sapphire crystal with no cyclops, a sterile black no date dial, and either try to relume the hands (and see how cleanly I can clip the wings off the logo on the second hand) or more likely just get a new set of Tudor style snowflake hands. Thinking about jeweling the rotor, too, or at least sandblasting the branding off it.

Oh. I work in a machine shop and my supervisor bought a retired jeweler and watchmaker’s entire shop worth of tools a few months back. He’s been getting into watches this past year, so if I ask nicely, I should have access to everything needed to do it right. Big Grin

And yes, I went two-tone for a reason. On my finger is my great-grandfather’s diamond ring. He wore it, my grandfather wore it, and now I wear it from time to time. It’s loud and flashy, and looks really bizarre when paired with other any of my other watches.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
That looks really nice to my eyes. Really a nice match.

Thank you, Brian. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
But with something else, like my SKX011J orange dial, gold accented bezel, a NATO such as this one sets it off quite nicely where a bracelet wouldn't in my view. Big Grin

Nice one! I really like some of the orange dials, but for some reason I think I'm not bold enough to wear one.
With that NATO, though, you've got a great combination. The ultimate Halloween watch! Big Grin

- - - - - - - - -

Switching topics just a little... anyone else get geeky about their watch weights?

After high school, I bought a nice Seiko. I wonder where that is now. It was all of $65, if I remember right.
During the first "real job" I bought a Seiko Kinetic. (I think I've shown a pic of that one here.) It was heavy. I knew I had my watch on, and I got used to that. Later on, I bought the Seiko titanium chrono. (BrianO knows the one. Cool ) It's ridiculously light. I got used to forgetting that my watch was there. Until about two years ago, that was my full-time, every day, any activity watch. And then you guys (stickman, craigcpa, and some others in particular) got me started with these Seiko divers. The Sea Urchin and the PADI put me back to wearing heavy watches. I bought a Seiko 5 as a "work watch." It's mighty light, and great for the "I don't know what I'm getting into today" days.

So being the geeky engineer type, I started weighing different watches over the last month or so.
* The titanium chrono takes the prize as lightest, coming in at a svelte 74 grams.
* The Seiko 5 follows closely at 82.
* This new SKX, on a NATO, weighs in at 94 grams. This morning it's a fat boy, at 166 grams, thanks to the new stainless bracelet.
* Next up is the Sea Urchin (thank you, Ron!), at 149.
* The solar PADI (thanks, Craig!) shows 153.
* The Samurai is the heavyweight of the bunch, at 185 grams.

It's a big change, going from the Samurai to the old chrono! Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vthoky,

God bless America.