SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
Responded to your Email, vthoky.

You can stop with the sir, sir! Big Grin

Yessir. It's a habit, sir. Razz

I'm envisioning the scene from the movie Spies Like Us...

Doctor
Doctor
Doctor
Doctor... Big Grin

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
Responded to your Email, vthoky.

You can stop with the sir, sir! Big Grin

Yessir. It's a habit, sir. Razz

- - - - -

BigSwede, is that the "digital Tuna?"

I was under the impression it was an "Arnie" it's not listed as such on Govx but it is elsewhere

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This is the Seiko Digital Tuna and it is IMO one of the best watches Seiko has ever made. The SBEP003 & 007 are some one of the least talked about & least appreciated watches in Seiko’s line up. The user interface, appearance and design of the watch is just fantastic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Aha!
Thank you for sorting me out on that.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
If I was tasked to build the ideal surf/diving/sport/basic navigation watch for the world it wouldn’t be an automatic, though I adore their design... Believe it or not I would use these two watches and add two features and keep it sub $300.

I’d use the aesthetic of the Seiko SBEP-003 Digi Tuna JDM. This one looks especially nice because I added a Seiko blue rubber strap from a Seiko SRPA83 (gorgeous watch to cannibalize for parts BTW. Wink ). I would use the SBEP’s brilliant operating system/intuitive user interface and solar quartz recharging system with detailed charge level and real time charging/solar cell efficiency.

Why would I do this? It’s so cool to see the solar charging level on a rainy day when you are out and about verses and overcast day and a sunny day.

I would then meld it with elements of this watch design, while ditching other huge parts of this watch’s design (specifically the throw away battery).

These two watches are quite spectacular to wear at the same time. The functions are mind blowing. Here is what I would take, carry over and modify and what I would ditch and why.

#1 the watch has to be able to stand alone on its own power source (given proper human interaction) and work for 5-7 years at least without any kind of service. This means solar quartz movement with smart power save and shut down/ power management functions. Seiko SBEP is IMO the model T of this and shows such real potential to be smart while still simple at the same time. It needs to be developed further.

#2 time, dual time, displayed simultaneously &
Time zone needs to be easy to change on the fly

#3. Add barometer, depth meter, altimeter, thermometer, compass, storm warning system (the Suunto Core pretty damn good at predicting when it’s about to pour) it’s easy to turn off and needs to remain so but I like the function a lot.

#4 add tide and moon phase and make it easy to change on them on fly if you are traveling.

#5 make a stainless and a DLC cased version with compass and dive bezels.

#6 the rotating minute bezel/ dive function needs to REMAIN functional and utilize the SBEP’s outer minute track and include programmable dive warning functions.

#7 mineral / sapphire crystal. The Seiko will take a hell of a hit but it scratches eventually, I’m still not 100% what the perfect watch “glass” is yet. But for now I like what’s on this Suunto.

Boom G-shock is more or less obsolete and the “smart while not stupid in the longevity dept watch” enters the market for the first time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
For those who like Khaki.

Hamilton khaki auto field watch (Champaign/silver) dial on a nice high end khaki seatbelt strap paired with kevlar lined khaki riding pants. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That looks great. The more I see them, the more I’m starting to really become somewhat taken with Hamiltons.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Hamilton khaki auto field watch

Sharp!

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LMLarsen
posted Hide Post
“I have this old watch...”

Got this Seiko about 35 years ago and it’s still going strong, but the bracelet links I removed as a skinny kid are long gone. It’s a dedicated bracelet that can’t be replaced with another.

Any idea where I might find links? It’s a hell of a long shot, I know, and I’ve already searched.

Posts: 271 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Whoa! That is a nice Seiko! If you can get the reference number I would search eBay & google via the reference number. You can save a search on eBay and get a notification sent to your email when one of your more “rare” items you want pops up for sale. This function PAYS dividends. I got a sweet Hamilton I’ve wanted for years for $200 less than I expected to pay with extras today in fact because of it! Cool

There is a similar Omega Speedmaster with a sub dial like that but it’s around $2.7-3k and has a very intricate $$$ movement to service & maintain. That Seiko is gorgeous!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
My new inexpensive Orient watch given to me by my daughter for my birthday...

Discovered the watch from a thread in the Lounge it looked like a good watch. So far so good!

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
That Orient is handsome!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39753 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LMLarsen:
“I have this old watch...”

All about your vintage Seiko (several variations).

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/s...ement-vintage-watch/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LMLarsen
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys, great info! I’ll set up that eBay search and see what happens, but I don’t have high hopes.

Posts: 271 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
That Orient is handsome!

Thank you. Per the other thread jomashop was the place to go but they were sold out. My daughter found it at Amazon for $69.

In case your interested here is the terminology for the search: Orient SP Black Dial Men's Watch FUNG2001B0

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
LMlarson, if you are patient EBay will come through. I cannot begin to tell you how many super rare watches and parts/accessories will show up when you least expect them. It’s a feature on eBay that can cost you some serious $$$.

I just scored a neat Hamilton Khaki diver with red accents thanks to their search feature and plugging in a few interesting and hard to find reference numbers. This one came with a spare stainless bracelet as well as the original black w/ rd stitching straps. I’m glad I didn’t scoop up that NOS example a few months ago because this one was way less and the extra Hamilton bracelet adds about $120 to the value. Cool

The subtle red on the dial and from the 45-0 second mark is pretty cool. I can’t wait to try out a few straps.

Well guys a little update on one of my favorite watches. My Le Jour chrono just earned another round trip back to Singapore on Gnomon’s dime. So far they have been super easy to work with and they have been fast at responding to issues.

I think maybe my watch has defective hands or something. The minute sub dial hand has slowly moved to the left and is now more than one minute off. It is apparently snapping back to zero hard enough to move the hand over time. I hope they can fix it. None of my three other Valjoux 7750 powered watches exhibit this problem and I use their chronos quite a bit too. The watch minute sub dial hand seemed to move ever so slightly every time it was reset.

Any advice or input on the issue would be appreciated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

I just scored a neat Hamilton Khaki diver with red accents thanks to their search feature and plugging in a few interesting and hard to find reference numbers.

I like those Hamiltons a lot. I had a King Scuba just like that except mine didn't have the red on the minute marks. I gave it to my brother a while back so he'd have at least one decent watch. I like the way they do the day/date and the raised numbers. Good looking watches and are still a pretty decent value.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I picked this up a week ago and added the beads of rice bracelet.
The Seagull ST19 movement is super slick!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39753 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Me likey^^^

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
very nice SC. Love the bracelet.