SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Seiko is getting roasted online for making this line. Honestly, I kinda like it. Yes, it’s quite different but I think this is Seiko tossing some red meat to the modders and maybe getting in on a little bit of the fun on their own. Seiko has been making a ton of variants with this new Seiko 5 sport line. If this introduces youngsters to the wonderful world of automatic watch ownership then I think it’s a VERY good thing.

I do wonder what the entire set will be worth in 10-20 years.

Those aren't to my taste, but so what? If people like them, why not?

I don't know if these comics are cultural icons in Japan, but if they are ordinary comic characters, then I can't see these being worth much to collectors long term. They'll just be some old watch with some mostly forgotten characters on them.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Seiko is getting roasted online for making this line. Honestly, I kinda like it. Yes, it’s quite different but I think this is Seiko tossing some red meat to the modders and maybe getting in on a little bit of the fun on their own. Seiko has been making a ton of variants with this new Seiko 5 sport line. If this introduces youngsters to the wonderful world of automatic watch ownership then I think it’s a VERY good thing.

I do wonder what the entire set will be worth in 10-20 years.

Those aren't to my taste, but so what? If people like them, why not?

I don't know if these comics are cultural icons in Japan, but if they are ordinary comic characters, then I can't see these being worth much to collectors long term. They'll just be some old watch with some mostly forgotten characters on them.

Street Fighter is probably the most influential and successful fighting video game series of all time. First came out in the late 80's as an arcade game and then was a mega-hit on Super Nintendo in the early 90's. No Mortal Kombat without Street Fighter. Hadoken!

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

In addition to what Yellowjacket said, there's actually pro gamers and at least one league, maybe more. I know a guy who traveled from the US to Japan for a tournament some years back. It's definitely a big deal over there.

Check this out:
https://streetfighterleague.com

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Just back from a service in NYC. Thought about quarantining it. I mean after all, the second hand wasn't hacking before, and now it is hacking!

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watch gurus, a question-

Are ultrasonic cleaners safe for watches?

One is a Citizen Divemaster, the other, a Marathon Automatic.

Usually, it's soapy water and a brush, or a spray or two of glass cleaner and brush, rinse and dry. I recently got an small Ultrasonic cleaner, mostly for eyeglasses. However, it says it's safe for watches. I was wondering if the vibration will screw with the movement.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG

At the Watch Technology Institute and at the Rolex service center I worked at after graduating from the former we had both ultrasonic and "infrasonic" cleaners. Note that we never put complete movements in them, but rather disassembled movements and put some of the parts, in soft-metal baskets, into the cleaning machines. In both types of machines, as well in bowls used for manual cleaning, we used specific cleaning agents. One type was this: https://www.esslinger.com/zeni...rate-251na-1-gallon/

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Watch gurus, a question-

I wouldn't. Perhaps the bracelet alone. I only lightly rinse the watch case itself. And then, only if I'm confident in the seals/o-rings.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Just back from a service in NYC. Thought about quarantining it. I mean after all, the second hand wasn't hacking before, and now it is hacking!

this is nice, what is the case size? Most dress watches just feel too small for me.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Watch gurus, a question-

One is a Citizen Divemaster, the other, a Marathon Automatic.

Usually, it's soapy water and a brush, or a spray or two of glass cleaner and brush, rinse and dry. I recently got an small Ultrasonic cleaner, mostly for eyeglasses. However, it says it's safe for watches. I was wondering if the vibration will screw with the movement.

Not for a whole watch. For parts or a bracelet, yes.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Had this arrive yesterday: Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro 600 in 42mm. This is the third CW I've picked up since April and have been very impressed with all of them. Really nice finish, ceramic bezel, comfortable bracelets, Sellita SW200 movement and accuracy generally within -5 sec/day. Really good value for them money, especially with the promos and sales.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That’s a great looking watch!

I’ve had my eye on Christopher Ward for a while now. Their older models with the wavy dial (almost Seamaster like) have really caught my eye but they are all out of production. The newer models are gorgeous but they have not tempted me quite like the older and sadly discontinued variants.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stickman. The photo really doesn't do it justice. To me the design is a really clean and elegant departure from the various homages to the classic Sub. It also wears a lot smaller than it appears in the pic. I need to work on my camera skills. Check out the CW Forum if you are looking for a discontinued version.

FYI: Supposedly CW has 3 new designs coming out later this month including a super compressor and a new C60 Bronze mk3. There will be a promo code for $125 off as well. There has also been a decent amount of things showing up in the Nearly New section for 30% off.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
this is nice, what is the case size? Most dress watches just feel too small for me.

40.8mm I generally like smaller watches (36mm-38mm ideally), but with the big date feature, the movement fills the case fairly well, so I can make an exception for this one. H. Moser & Cie. makes some amazing stuff. Oddly the watch collector community has not yet rewarded their creations with the demand that compels pricing commensurate with the such handcrafted, low production stunning watches. As such, you can still get some unbelievable bargains on their products on the pre-owned market.

Note how they achieve such a large date. Two discs. Indexing one to take over mid-month.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I follow an assortment of watch groups on social media. They tend to post anything and everything and I have to say some very interesting pieces have come up recently.

I’d wear this one. It’s probably quite the conversation starter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
I follow an assortment of watch groups on social media. They tend to post anything and everything and I have to say some very interesting pieces have come up recently.

I’d wear this one. It’s probably quite the conversation starter.

That's fantastic!

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^

The "Go O.J." is icing on the cake. Big Grin

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428: I’d wear this one. It’s probably quite the conversation starter.

It would probably run slow. ;-)

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
rOgue, that movement is just fantastic. It looks like a modern art masterpiece! Do you find much use in having a power gauge? I like when watches offer this and I really like that on your watch it’s hidden on the back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This thing has yet to come off my wrist and go into the watch box since I got it. It’s booted my Phantom Green Steinie off my wrist. What a wonderful watch this is! Phoibos was brave to do yet another Rolex homage in a seriously saturated market but this one is different enough from the rest of the competition that I was drawn to it.

Some people hate it but I just love the Phoibos octopus logo. I love the indices on this watch and the dial too. Heck I even like the bracelet and the polished inside links and brushed outside links. For the money I feel like this was my best watch purchase so far and I own A LOT or watches. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
rOgue, that movement is just fantastic. It looks like a modern art masterpiece! Do you find much use in having a power gauge? I like when watches offer this and I really like that on your watch it’s hidden on the back.
Fully wound, this one will run well into the 8th day. So it takes a lot of winding to get it fully-wound. It's a nice sanity check as otherwise, I often question myself on manual wound movements wondering if I've gone too far.

That said -- Nothing about watches is about practicality to me. This morning I timed a trip with my Speedmaster. We'd driven to my son's college to drop off a chair. 3 hours and 31 minutes. One could say that I "have a use" for the chronograph. But it would be more accurate to say that I'm nuts! Big Grin