SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
With a reserve like that yeah..I can see how the power gauge is nice to have.

This watch is so close to being perfect. Seiko shouldn’t have removed the screw down crown. It’ll probably stay like this for only a few weeks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
What do you guys like for a link pin removal tool? Amazon seems to have the same four or five basic designs with about fifty different brand names, and it's all Chinese made shit, by the looks of the reviews. The plastic body ones seem to like to crumble on the first use and the ones that look like they're die cast would probably be fine if the pins didn't snap or bend on the first use.

Is a block and hammer with a plastic face with good punches the better option here? When possible, I think I'd prefer to press out things that are press-fitted rather than dry to drift them with a punch and hammer. Less risk of damaging something, I would think.

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
stickman428 you gotta have a KNIFE to go with that O.J. Watch!

After all, he had a knife.

Oh, and I'm sure this blade was made in the U.S.A. LOL

Posts: 4030 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Seiko’s watered down SKX looking sport 5 line is winning me over. I almost feel bad that I’m going to tear into such a surprisingly good watch. The bezel alignment, chapter ring alignment, fit and finish and even time keeping is better than I expected. The bezel is buttery smooth, clicks nicely and aligns just perfect with zero back play.

If you’ve ever seen the film Fracture there is a character played by Anthony Hopkins who can find a flaw in anything. That is how I am with watches. There is a little dust/power/who knows what just past the 11 o’clock position (it’s hard to see if you are not looking for it) but otherwise this Seiko is damn good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
What do you guys think about the ETA-Valjoux caliber 7750 automatic? Good movement?

Jomashop is running a $500 off deal on an already quite discounted Ball chronograph. This baby is apparently quite the luminous watch. It’s DLC too! (One is my favorite finishes!). They also have a different version on discount too but it has less tritium tubes and a different movement.

Certainly a different/ unique case back...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
7750 is a fine movement.

They both are 7750 movements.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
What can y'all tell me about this vintage Seiko? It is listed on a local classified and I like the look.

Obviously, it's some sort of worldtimer. Was the Electra a mechanical auto movement? Anybdoy have an idea on value? (Nominal... $20)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YellowJacket,

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Well, it's not a Seiko.

It's a chinese fake.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Well guys I’m pretty stoked. I pulled the trigger on a silver and gold Invicta Pro diver with a NH36A so it has day/date.

You know you’re REALLY deep into watches when you are excited about and looking at Invicta pro divers and Ball chronographs at the same time. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
P220 Smudge, I got an inexpensive watch repair kit off the fleabay for less than $30. My local mom & pop jeweler charges $10 to resize a watch he didn’t sell. (If he sold it he will of course resize it for free).

It’s not fancy but it’s more than paid for itself. Link to watch tool kit There are other kits with a few more items but something basic like that should serve you well for a while.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Well, it's not a Seiko.

It's a chinese fake.

Agreed. Seiko never used a logo like that to my knowledge. It also doesn't look like any model I have ever seen.

It also looks like the crown is missing.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Well, it's not a Seiko.

It's a chinese fake.

That's what was coming up in my other searches last night, as well. Too bad as I love the teal/blue worldtime ring.

And yes I noticed the crown, as well.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Zelos has a really neat Mako in teal/blue and silver as well as teal/blue and silver meteorite. If you like the colors on that Seiko/Feiko there is a Zelos Mako with a somewhat similar color way that is quite sharp looking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
that one is kinda similar to the color scheme of the seiko rally/regatta.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Stickman. Got a kit headed this way. Cool

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
AWSOME! Remember with watches patience is your best friend. When you can watch a YouTube video and learn from others mistakes. If you fiddle with enough watches it’s only a matter of time before you scratch or mess up something small. It happens but you get better at it quickly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Well guys I’m pretty stoked. I pulled the trigger on a silver and gold Invicta Pro diver with a NH36A so it has day/date.

You know you’re REALLY deep into watches when you are excited about and looking at Invicta pro divers and Ball chronographs at the same time. Big Grin

Some people will make fun of them but they're actually great watches.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39754 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:

Some people will make fun of them but they're actually great watches.

They make fun of them because of SOME of the watches they make. Good Lord! Absence of taste is no excuse for the abominations they come out with!

Their divers are solid.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I came VERY close to getting Invicta’s gorgeous Yacht-Master homage but then I discovered it’s name was not indicative it’s size. It is called a Pro diver yet it is 47mm. It has lots of lume on the dial and bezel insert but sadly it’s too big for my wrist.

Invicta 47mm “pro diver”

Not to be confused with their other Pro diver that’s 40mm IIRC.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I really want an Invicta diver or two. For $75-120, you get a lot for the money. I find it unlikely that anyone in public would give me shit about wearing one, and if they do, I can simply answer "I'm accepting any and all donations towards a real Submariner." Razz

I do need to get to some place where I can try on a 47-50mm watch sometime, just to see if I can pull it off. Some of those look absolutely huge, but I might just be beefy enough to maybe get away with it.

quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Remember with watches patience is your best friend[...]

Thanks for the tips, will do. Smile