SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
On the wrist today:
Glycine KMU46 (3804-19S) ~2000
Unitas 6497-1 movement
Glycine rubber strap

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16182 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Just back from service. My Dad bought it over 20 years ago, but it sat in a drawer. Upon first glance, it looks like a 1954-55 Airman (The relume job is not correct).

But all is not as it seems. The lack of a hack hole and a red date wheel is correct, but the date window should be square. It is trapezoidal. That didn't happen until 1960. And the later watches had a black date wheel, the red & black wheels do not interchange.
Here's a photo of the caseback & movement:

The provision for the unique hack mechanism is there, but the mechanism is not. It has an AS movement, but should be a Felsa. The watch is 1960-64 era.

The back of the dial has no hack hole (Appears to have been filled in):

The date wheel is 1960-64 era (black), repainted red:

My question is, why would somebody alter a watch to make it look older, then sell it for $200?

Still a cool GMT watch that beat Rolex to the market by several years.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That is a VERY cool watch!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Glycine is one brand I’ve always been quite fond of. I have a few Combat sub divers and a field style watch from the mid 90’s I believe and they have all been exquisite watches, solid, accurate, and very well built.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Cool Glycine.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.woodwelt.com/?gcli...uUfoqa4aAgmJEALw_wcB

Not sure if anyone is interested in these.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
Not sure if anyone is interested in these.

You have any experience with this outfit's watches?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16182 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No I do not. I saw it and figured I would pass it on. It looks like they are using movements from Citizen.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I like wood boats but have zero interest in wood watches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Well, if it floats, then you know it's a witch!!!

Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
My wife chose this Christopher Ward C60 Sapphire as my gift for our 25th anniversary and it arrived yesterday. It really is just stunning in person and the pictures don't do it justice. The blue sapphire face really looks very different depending on the light and is quite intriguing.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That’s a nice watch! I’ve come quite close to getting a Christoper Ward C60. Their bronze diver is especially tempting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
About how much money would it cost to get the tools required to assemble and modify my own Seiko watches? I like the idea of building some modded Seiko divers. I figure since I own a few 4R36 and NH35A movement watches it might be more cost effective to buy the tools so I can just replace the movements on my own when they get worn out.

I have a basic watch repair kit that has a case back removal tool, cheap screwdrivers etc.

I figure I’ll need:
-a good set of screw drivers
-a movement holder
-a set of good tweezers
-a better tool to remove bezels
-a tool to remove hands.
-Protective film for the dial when pulling hands (can I just use a sheet of plastic?)
-those finger condom things for assembly

What else am I going to need?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
That’s a nice watch! I’ve come quite close to getting a Christoper Ward C60. Their bronze diver is especially tempting.

Thanks Stickman. Here's a shot of my C60 Bronze that I picked up in their 50% off sale in April. It's been running between -1 and -7 seconds per day. I like it a lot better than my Steinhart Ocean 1 bronze. The CW has more of a coppery tone while the Steiny is brassy.

Here's the Christopher Ward:

Here's the Steinhart:

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by stickman428:
About how much money would it cost to get the tools required to assemble and modify my own Seiko watches? I like the idea of building some modded Seiko divers. I figure since I own a few 4R36 and NH35A movement watches it might be more cost effective to buy the tools so I can just replace the movements on my own when they get worn out.

I figure I’ll need:
-a good set of screw drivers - Not so much for swapping movements, but for any other work buy the best you can afford.
-a movement holder Definitely
-a set of good tweezers - Again, buy the best you can afford - Dumont & fils- Swiss
-a better tool to remove bezels Most can be removed with a case knife. Some of the newer Seiko's are unbelievably tight.
-a tool to remove hands. - Hand levers are best
-Protective film for the dial when pulling hands (can I just use a sheet of plastic?) Use a zip lock bag over the dial and hands.
-those finger condom things for assembly Finger cots or gloves.

Rodico - sort of a silly putty for watchmakers.

Peg wood. A wooden stick for cleaning and holding things you don't want to scratch. Tooth picks will work for a while.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I think there's a lot to it -- to do it right. But how wrong can you go playing on a Seiko. Here's one pointer I saw recently.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
Well, if it floats, then you know it's a witch!!!

Big Grin

Nice... or a small rock.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A new strap:

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
I like big watches and I cannot lie!

60mm, baby!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ That's a clock, not a watch! Razz

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post