SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
This just in. Omega Speedmaster. Immediately ditched the OEM strap. Put this custom strap on that I've had for quite a while. It's crafted from a WWII bomber jacket. I love the strap, and I think it works well on here.

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is that an older model Speedmaster??

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marlin Fan:
Is that an older model Speedmaster??

Well... Yes and No.

The Speedmaster ref. CK 2998 was the first Omega to reach space, when astronaut Walter Schirra wore the watch during the 'Sigma 7' mission of the Mercury Programme in 1962. This watch is a sort of "tribute" issue that has many elements of the original 2998 without being a duplicate recreation. Omega calls this tribute issue the Omega "First Omega in Space", or FOiS as it's called often in the forums. It's a little trimmer in the case diameter, which I like. also like the sword hands and that the sword hands (including the second hand) are for time, and the white hands are for chronograph timing.

In more modern and "terrestrial" examples of its amazing measurement capabilities, I timed my emergency trip to Walmart tonight. 32 minutes and 45 seconds!

https://www.omegawatches.com/w...ga-in-space/product/

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Now you just need the Cosmonaut version Wink

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:What is considered acceptable? My cheap work Seiko with a 7/S26C I can keep to 3 minutes a month. Can you regulate something like this?

"Acceptable" is a moving target; it depends on who is judging. 3 minutes per month is very good for a moderately-priced automatic, but wouldn't do for a quartz chronometer. It would meet the requirements for a mechanical chronometer, though, as long as that was a rate of gain. (A little less loss is allowed.) To be certified as a chronometer by the Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres (COSC) a mechanical watch must maintain a rate that is between -4 and +6 seconds per day. A quartz chronometer must have a rate that is +/- 0.07 seconds per day. (That's 2 SECONDS per month.)

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:Can you regulate something like this?

To answer this question, yes, you can regulate your Seiko, although as accurate as yours is it may not be worth the effort. If you want to try, though, all you need is a small screwdriver, a pair of tweezers, and a case-back opener. See here: http://www.ofrei.com/page557.html

Then you need a quick course in how to regulate a watch. There are videos on YouTube that cover the basics. As always, proceed at your own risk.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Make counter-accusations.
Picture of rkentm
posted Hide Post
New (to me) Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean GMT "Goodplanet" Edition. I am really liking the blue/orange combo.

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"

Posts: 568 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rkentm:
New (to me) Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean GMT "Goodplanet" Edition. I am really liking the blue/orange combo.

That is one Omega I would own. Very nice sir.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Make counter-accusations.
Picture of rkentm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:

That is one Omega I would own. Very nice sir.

Thank you! I considered it vs. a Ball AeroGMT for a while, but have been very pleased with my choice.

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"

Posts: 568 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
So am I the only one who wears these NATO bands backwards? I find it alot more comfortable threading the band through thr clasp with it below the watch face rather than above it as intended. Easier manipulating the band through the retainer as well, for me at least.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7489 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I really like that Fortis.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I really like that Fortis.

They are surprisingly affordable on Jomashop.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
This just in. Omega Speedmaster.

I wish I had your funds to spend on watches. I would go crazy, and probably mirror your two most recent choices Smile

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
This just in. Omega Speedmaster.

I wish I had your funds to spend on watches. I would go crazy, and probably mirror your two most recent choices Smile

Haha! You probably do. I had a lot of guns, now have one. I had a lot of bikes, now have one. I drive a Subaru. It's all in where you put your free loot. I'm by no means wealthy. I have a handful of watches. When you see me post a new one, an old one went. Everytime. Haven't spent a new dime on watches in a while. Actually contracted a bit.

A guy at work thinks a Rolex means I'm uppity. He drives a truck that cost more in delta alone from my Subaru than my whole watch collection is worth.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

A guy at work thinks a Rolex means I'm uppity. He drives a truck that cost more in delta alone from my Subaru than my whole watch collection is worth.

And the Rolex will still be useful in 15 years.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888: And the Rolex will still be useful in 15 years.

I had my bought-new 1998 Ford Ranger until last October, and I was heading toward 20 years with it until I rolled it. I used the insurance money to buy a used Jeep...a 2004 that's in good enough shape that I'm sure I'll get it to 15 years if not older.

My oldest watch only made it to 10 years.

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:

My oldest watch only made it to 10 years.

Wasn't a Rolex, was it? Wink

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG: Wasn't a Rolex, was it?

Nope. Swatch Irony, designed to be tossed rather than serviced.

But the implication was that vehicles wouldn't last 15 years, and I was pointing out that many do.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
But the implication was that vehicles wouldn't last 15 years, and I was pointing out that many do.

Perhaps a better statement would have been, that in 15 years the Rolex would be worth more than you paid for it. But hey, I'm not arguing that a Rolex is a better purchase. Arguably it's a very silly purchase unless you're a watch-nerd like me,... and even if you are. Smile

But I do like to point out when people think a Rolex is unobtainable, that there are many other areas that one could look to where money often (not always) goes. Truck, boat, quad, gun "collection", knife "collection", motos, camps, expensive golf trips, sports season tickets, ... whatever. Heck, there are some people that ever (gasp) save for retirement! hehe

Still, very true that there are many for whom the ends barely meet. I get that too. So, lest someone think it takes a load of money to like watches, I'll post some pics from the last year. A few of these are gone now, but --

Seiko 5 ($75)

My Garmin GPS running watch($300), Maratac Quartz Pilot ($140), Braun Dieter Rams ($70)

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
And a car can certainly last 15 or 20 years, what is the percentage that do? A tiny fraction of them, and with a lot of expense and effort.

My point is that a car is a depreciating asset. A good watch will remain valuable. I was also backing up Rogue's point that some spend $60,000 on a pickup truck while believing a $8000 watch is an irrational purchase.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post