SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Better Call Saul - Season 6 Discussion WARNING...**SPOILERS MAY BE DISCUSSED**
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Better Call Saul - Season 6 Discussion WARNING...**SPOILERS MAY BE DISCUSSED** Login/Join 
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Well, that was surely different. What's up with a black and white show?

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
Well, that was surely different.
What's up with a black and white show?

Ya know, I didn't even realize it was B&W until now. Eek

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Yeah, it's almost like from another time. You know, like... the past. Roll Eyes

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swampdog
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ever since Breaking Bad, this has always signified post Breaking Bad, after Saul has been extracted/relocated from Albuquerque. His new life and identity is that of Gene, a Cinnabon manager in Omaha Nebraska.

The Better Call Saul show we’ve been watching takes place from 2002-2004. This was his backstory and arc from how he went from Jimmy McGill to Saul GoodMan who we first saw in Breaking Bad. BB takes place from 2008-2010. In this black and white future I’m assuming we are in 2012 because in the newest episode they are talking about the current college game that week and Bo Pelini coaching Nebraska and Martinez quarterbacking. This also lines up with the black and white episode to start last season where his car had a 2012 sticker on it.

Posts: 587 | Location: Colorado via South Louisiana | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The black and white sets a mood and signals a change in time. I like the way Kim was handled. She always had more empathy than Saul and more of a conscience. I think it would be crazy to bring her back at some point.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Wow, Carol Burnett in the Breaking Bad universe Smile

I guess "Gene" solved the taxi driver issue.

I have the feeling that it it will be a roller coaster ride in the remaining episodes.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Wow, Carol Burnett in the Breaking Bad universe Smile

I guess "Gene" solved the taxi driver issue.

I have the feeling that it it will be a roller coaster ride in the remaining episodes.

We all know Saul takes a vacuum cleaner ride to Omaha, and Walter and Jesse try to survive with Walter being killed and Jesse getting out with a lot of shit going down in-between. The question is how much of BB will be rolled into the plot. Pretty cool. Vince Gilligan knows how to write suspenseful series that get's people interested and coming back for more.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
As much as I'm enjoying Better Call Saul, including this last season, my wife and I have started watching The Sopranos for the first time since its original run twenty-some years ago (and even then we started a season or two late), and the contrast of the two illustrates how Vince Gilligan's emphasis on cinematic artistry does come at the cost of plot. Like Breaking Bad, so much happens in each episode of The Sopranos that it would take several episodes of BCS to compare. Neither approach is better than the other...just different.

But we are having a helluva good time with The Sopranos.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
As much as I'm enjoying Better Call Saul, including this last season, my wife and I have started watching The Sopranos for the first time since its original run twenty-some years ago (and even then we started a season or two late), and the contrast of the two illustrates how Vince Gilligan's emphasis on cinematic artistry does come at the cost of plot. Like Breaking Bad, so much happens in each episode of The Sopranos that it would take several episodes of BCS to compare. Neither approach is better than the other...just different.

But we are having a helluva good time with The Sopranos.

The Sopranos is a lot denser in terms of plot and characters. You are exactly correct. Chase did that style very well, and Gilligan does his style well.

It is hard to say which I prefer, but perhaps Gilligan, by a small margin. His shows have a certain spare elegance which I like.

Sopranos was great, no doubt. And I will always love that Chase left the ending unresolved for us.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

For me, the black and white emphasized the flatness and dullness of Jimmy/Saul/Gene's life as the manager of a Cinnabon.

It also tells us, very clearly, that this is a different time and place than the events of the "main" plotline.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The black and white sets a mood and signals a change in time. I like the way Kim was handled. She always had more empathy than Saul and more of a conscience. I think it would be crazy to bring her back at some point.

I disagree. I think she was way more ruthless and crueler than Saul. As a matter of fact, I really believed she would leave him because he was too 'soft' and small minded in the scams compared to her. That how I felt anyway. That's why I thought she was going to end up getting whacked, because she F'd with the wrong people. I still feel that way, but am now thinking that Howard getting killed maybe slapped some reality into her of what can happen to her if she continues down her path and pisses off the wrong target, not that she really had any empathy towards her victims. Just self preservation.

But hey, still a few episodes left. I hope they wrap her character up a little better.

Tony

Posts: 306 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tonydec:

But hey, still a few episodes left. I hope they wrap her character up a little better.

My guess is a stand alone movie like El Camino.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope they wrap her character up a little better.

Same. Going out with a whimper rather than a bang, to have her just up and leave, really seemed anticlimactic and undermined to a fair degree what had been suggested and came before. Seemed like an easy out, and Vince Gilligan certainly hasn't been known for easy exits for his characters in BB and BCS.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I disagree. I think she was way more ruthless and crueler than Saul.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nah. Don't think so. You been watching a lot of Film Noir? She is no Claire Trevor.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
quote:
I hope they wrap her character up a little better.

Same. Going out with a whimper rather than a bang, to have her just up and leave, really seemed anticlimactic and undermined to a fair degree what had been suggested and came before. Seemed like an easy out, and Vince Gilligan certainly hasn't been known for easy exits for his characters in BB and BCS.

If Gilligan thought it would enhance the show/ending he'd not hesitate to kill her off. She's not dead yet so I'll just sit back and watch the fireworks.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I disagree. I think she was way more ruthless and crueler than Saul. As a matter of fact, I really believed she would leave him because he was too 'soft' and small minded in the scams compared to her. That how I felt anyway. That's why I thought she was going to end up getting whacked, because she F'd with the wrong people. I still feel that way, but am now thinking that Howard getting killed maybe slapped some reality into her of what can happen to her if she continues down her path and pisses off the wrong target, not that she really had any empathy towards her victims. Just self preservation.

Vince Gilligan has stated that if he had to create a new "Breaking Bad" show, it would be about Kim Wexler.

And when asked by reporters if Wexler would pop up in the remaining episodes, Rhea Seehorn would just clam up and basically say "no comment".

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

And when asked by reporters if Wexler would pop up in the remaining episodes, Rhea Seehorn would just clam up and basically say "no comment".

I am 100% sure that this is what she is required to say. You can't read anything into it.

Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I disagree. I think she was way more ruthless and crueler than Saul.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nah. Don't think so. You been watching a lot of Film Noir? She is no Claire Trevor.

I think Kim finally realized that she was more ruthless and far less empathetic than Jimmy. I think that's why after the cold, calculating mindf***ck she pulled on Howard's widow at the memorial, she became so disgusted with herself she resigned from the bar. Remember, Jimmy was reluctant to pull the Howard scam and several times used setbacks to try to prematurely end it. Kim was the one who kept the scam going, and Jimmy continued because he wanted to please her.

I think at the end she resented Jimmy for enabling her dark side to come out. Being with Jimmy gave her the tools to act out her worst impulses. She knew that if she stayed with Jimmy, she would be enabled to free that dark side again and again.

Posts: 1265 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
SPOILER

We know kw is around in the post-Breaking Bad time, but that may be all we learn about her, I think.

Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
So did everyone recognize the actress who plays the character Marion? It's Carol Burnett!

https://www.thewrap.com/carol-...ar-better-call-saul/

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post