SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Better Call Saul - Season 6 Discussion WARNING...**SPOILERS MAY BE DISCUSSED**
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Better Call Saul - Season 6 Discussion WARNING...**SPOILERS MAY BE DISCUSSED** Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The v. short preview of the final episode shows the miserable little car that Jimmy/Sal/ had to abandon in the desert while trying to deliver the bail money for Lalo. So his final move is to flee south ? This preview was shown after the most recently shown episode with Kim.

Posts: 81 | Location: Springfield. USA | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
So the last episode was titled "Saul Gone", I say the boys on the bus would beg to differ.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
So, was his forsaking the Saul Goodman name and reaffirming his being Jimmy McGill at the end a expression of true regret for his life or just another con game?

I say con game.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
I loved the prisoner transport bus scene.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
So, was his forsaking the Saul Goodman name and reaffirming his being Jimmy McGill at the end a expression of true regret for his life or just another con game?

I say con game.

I say True Regret. He could have thrown Kim under the bus but he had the awakening and learned from what she did and wanted to prove to her he still loved her or could have at least changed himself. Being Jimmy McGill is his time machine to start over. There is nothing to con out of 86 years.

Sad to see it all end

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I felt disappointed by the ending. Was expecting something better. Crime does not pay and confession. It is a Hollywood ending in my opinion. Overall I enjoyed the series.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I was disappointed in the end too although I understand why it was done.
The confession at trial was - seemed unrealistic.
Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the series. Smile

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
Until the credits rolled, I though maybe the confession was some sort of con. That Jimmy wanted to be placed at that prison and that was why he dropped the name and there was going to be some big twist to get him out. But I guess not.

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
quote:

I say con game.

I say True Regret. He could have thrown Kim under the bus but he had the awakening and learned from what she did and wanted to prove to her he still loved her or could have at least changed himself. Being Jimmy McGill is his time machine to start over. There is nothing to con out of 86 years.

Sad to see it all end

Agreed. I think the one true thing in his life was his love for Kim. His confession was real and I think the only thing he hoped to get from it was Kim's respect, something he'd thought he could live without and learned he couldn't. Jimmy's reflection on his past (the flashbacks) were in his own head, and I think he really was serious about how he'd do things over IF he ever had the chance. Ultimately, his need for Kim's love and respect was self-serving (it meant more to him than money), but he knew that the cost was something he'd have to pay to even get a chance for redemption. 86 years vs 7? Yea, he hopes he'll get out earlier, but at least he knows he's got Kim's respect. Maybe that's enough to survive on during that time?

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
For me, this scene says it all without saying a word. It's obvious they still love each other and are searching for ways to cope given Jimmy will probably die in prison. Kim needs to move on with her life, but will always have a soft spot in her heart for Jimmy. I found it very moving.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Minor point, fwiw. Jimmy cut his original deal to do time in North Carolina, among other perks.

He ended up at Montrose in Colorado, his worst nightmare.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Butner is not exactly cushy. There is no such prison as Montrose. Besides in a Federal Max prisoners would not be roaming around as depicted in the film.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
quote:

I say con game.

Sad to see it all end

Agreed. It must be regret, or at least the desire not to screw Kim over at the end. He had it all buttoned up as good as it could be for Saul Goodman, and he gave it up to give Kim some relief, and maybe to even to make it up to Chuck in some weird way.

All he had to do was allocute and take the deal, but he didn't.

It may not be redemption, but it is some attempt at it. And Kim and his love for her was the only uniformly good thing he had his whole life, so it makes some sense.

It was good to see Kim back in the game, and with her old spring in her step. I would have put her back in her bouncy, no-nonsense ponytail, just to visually anchor that she was her old self. But maybe she isn't quite her old self.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
I was disappointed in the ending last night, but reading over the posts above -- that are treating it with more thoughtful analysis than my disappointment was willing to allow -- has me reevaluating my take on it, and I appreciate everyone who posted and got to me this spot.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would have put her back in her bouncy, no-nonsense ponytail, just to visually anchor that she was her old self. But maybe she isn't quite her old self.

That would have been one way to go. I kinda liked that she still looked frumpy, and Jimmy looked his worst in his prison garb, yet they looked at each other fondly. No tears or outward emotion but merely knowing stares they both clearly understood.

A few distractors here, but I really like how the wrapped things up.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I have mixed emotions about the finale. I appreciate the insightful posts of those above...y'all really know how to analyze stuff!! My initial reaction is "boy...that sure was anti-climactic!!" But once I mull everything over, I'll probably realize that was the perfect ending for this mad roller coaster ride. I did start to get put off by the black and white, though. But I understand the artistic license the directing crew was going for...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swampdog
posted Hide Post
Such a great show. I was really mixed going into it as Saul was never one of my favorite characters in Breaking Bad, but I should have trusted in Vince Gilligan, his writers and of course the talent of the people they bring in.

I think Saul was intending to cut his time to almost nothing and adding details of Howard’s death would have shaved that 7 years down again to barely a blip, in club fed as he arranged, but upon hearing Kim actually did what he challenged her to do and fall on her sword if she cared so much about the hurt they caused, he remembered everything he loved about her. Hence he made it out like he was going to throw her under the bus, knowing that word would get back to her through their network of colleagues and make her show up.

After their last call she wouldn’t have taken his call for him to apologize. Once she was there in the courtroom, he made it his “time machine” moment to correct things with the most important person in his life, and do something he refused to do ever, and that was take responsibility for everything, a lot like Walt did in the end of BB. He could have taken the 7 years and never looked back, but he did what she suggested, came clean and reminded her as well that Jimmy was always still in there somewhere. I think that great black and white final shot above are the two law students who met at HHM years ago and a world away.

The bus scene was funny. The super max (Montrose) he heading to is fictional. He mentioned in the interview with the feds it was known as the Alcatraz of the Rockies, which in reality is ADX Florence also out here in Colorado a few hours away from Montrose. As someone above mentioned prisoners there are NOT meandering around freely like they showed.(I know it’s just a show) I think all the prisoners are on lock down 23 hours a day. It’s guest include all the highest profile prisoners such as OKC Bomber, the Unabomber, Boston Marathon Bomber, El Chapo, 9/11 planners etc. It’s serious business. There are some neat YouTube videos on it if anyones curious.

Posts: 588 | Location: Colorado via South Louisiana | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
We get used to seeing TV and movie plots get wrapped up neatly and cleanly. The good guys win, and the bad guys loose, and even likable bad guys go out in a blaze of glory, like Butch and Sundance.

But Jimmy was likable while being a bad guy - at first in small ways, and later in big ways. Kim was as likable as they got in this show, but even she went many steps down a dark path before pulling back.

What is really most likely for a guy like Jimmy? Just what happened to him - the authorities finally catch up to him and lock him in the slammer. Jimmy was a crook, but he wasn't a "You'll never take me alive" kind of desperado. Getting dragged out of a dumpster was just what you'd expect. He is no Walter White.

It isn't highly dramatic, but it is realistic.

Kim suffered in her new life, but tried to purge herself of the last of her bad actions, and found a way back to at least some of her old life. NavyGuy is probably right - she isn't the old ponytailed Kim, but got some of it back.

Black and white was perfect for me. Look at how bleak it was for Jimmy in Omaha. He lost his money and, more importantly, the thrill of being in the game. He had to hide out, take what to him was a meaningless job and engage in petty crime. Then he goes to a high security prison. The bleakness of his end was reflected in the black and white, washed-out look of the last episodes.

There was pathos in that last meeting. They do love each other, and each liked the con game. But they let their lives get out of control and lost the chance, and they both know it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888: Getting dragged out of a dumpster was just what you'd expect. He is no Walter White.

Exactly. Jimmy was so into the "game", that he devolved from unscrupulous but knowledgeable lawyer to petty criminal because he loved the risk taking. He was disgusted by what he saw (and no doubt smelled) in the dumpster, but in fact he was as at home there and to any cops searching the perimeter, it was the most obvious place to search and subsequently find him.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We get used to seeing TV and movie plots get wrapped up neatly and cleanly. The good guys win, and the bad guys loose, and even likable bad guys go out in a blaze of glory, like Butch and Sundance.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Still seemed Hollywood during the Code years. Bad guys get punished, crime does not pay. Seems pretty neat and clean to me. Was hoping for a film noir type of ending. Still a good series.