SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Trek - Strange New Worlds teaser trailer
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Trek - Strange New Worlds teaser trailer Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The main story of episode 3 wasn’t bad, but they just completely disregard any premise of following Starfleet regulations, or there being any consequences for violating them.

You have to wonder how Pike’s mission log is going to be received at Starfleet. My First Officer has banned genetic modifications and has been hiding it the entire time, but yeah you can forget all that and trust her and it’s all good.

And then there’s the doctor’s “secret” which basically bypassed the transporter biofilters and allowed a virus to take over the entire ship. So I guess it’s OK because he just wants to spend some quality time with his daughter? Is Una just going to hide it, so now Starfleet is going to wonder why their biofilters don’t work, and spend resources trying to fix a problem that isn’t an actual problem? Who’s going to violate rules in the next episode?

BTW, I had to turn the subtitles on because I had trouble understanding the doctor’s heavy accent. Anyone else?

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Vino Veritas
Picture of Jaycat
posted Hide Post
Im liking it so far, I wish we could have seen the Gorn in this last episode. (I dont think however, Enterprise could withstand the forces of a black hole's accretion disk without shields......prob not WITH shields for that natter)

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Clarksville TN | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Episode 4 was quite good visually, but the writing still sucks. Pike’s still a poor leader, and resolutions to problems just seem to happen without really making much sense.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lot of back talk on the bridge as well. At one point the pilot seemed to be about to do whatever the hell she wanted. Then instead of saying no, Pike gave his number one a look and she stopped her. It was a weird scene.

I still don’t hate it though. I’m sure I will at sone point but not yet. Lol

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Lot of back talk on the bridge as well. At one point the pilot seemed to be about to do whatever the hell she wanted. Then instead of saying no, Pike gave his number one a look and she stopped her. It was a weird scene.

I still don’t hate it though. I’m sure I will at sone point but not yet. Lol

The one thing I don’t understand is who mans the bridge stations. The cocky pilot usually takes one side, but it’s a merry-go-round for the other station. Spock’s been operating the station, Una, Singh, even Pike. About the only one who hasn’t been there yet is the Doctor and Nurse Chappel, and half the time, the other bridge stations are empty.

Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:

The one thing I don’t understand is who mans the bridge stations. The cocky pilot usually takes one side, but it’s a merry-go-round for the other station. Spock’s been operating the station, Una, Singh, even Pike. About the only one who hasn’t been there yet is the Doctor and Nurse Chappel, and half the time, the other bridge stations are empty.

True, but with the progression of things going the way they are, it is probably a stretch to have the ship manned at all rather than being an oversized drone. Even more likely humans will be way more like Borg in the next couple hundred years.

Point is, the whole franchise is a collection of wishful thinking so I try to just be entertained.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Episode 5 is the first one I've actually enjoyed.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have to say, Episode 5 was pretty enjoyable and a bit of fun. Don’t know about walking around the hull of the Enterprise in a force field instead of a space suit, though. The characters who were going out earlier used suits, so it really didn’t make sense that Una and Singh would try out the (untested according to the dialogue) force field idea. There was nothing they did that couldn’t have been done in a suit.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Was getting weird vibes from the moral of the latest episode as well as one of the main guest stars, so I looked "her" social media up. One pic shows "her" wearing a shirt that says "A girl without a dick is like an angel without wings."

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Was getting weird vibes from the moral of the latest episode as well as one of the main guest stars, so I looked "her" social media up. One pic shows "her" wearing a shirt that says "A girl without a dick is like an angel without wings."

I had to look her up too. Guess she’s non-binary. Whatever. But, the character was over-the-top and a pretty fun villain. Basically a fabulous version of Harry Mudd.

For the episode itself, the rest of the pirates seemed like a bunch of idiots, who couldn’t take over a McDonalds, much less an entire starship. She was apparently the only brain in the whole outfit. Also, since the story took place at the outer fringes of Federation space, such that they made a point that it would take 2 days to communicate with Starfleet, how is it that they can have a real time conversation with T’Pring back on Vulcan?

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Due to your reply I went back and skipped around looking for a reference to the location of the episode, but couldn't find one. Could be, though, that they're near the border with the Romulans. Vulcan is closer to Romulan territory than Earth is, but the Federation wouldn't have much contact with the Romulans so the area near their border could be considered "the Wild West," as Pike puts it.

posted Hide Post
I’m always amazed how easy it is to take over the Enterprise. Seriously, how many times has this happened? For fucks sake on numbers alone they should be able to defend the ship hand to hand. Where are the Federation Marines?

No way I’m buying that rag tag group takes over the flagship.

I hated the over the top character villain. Just silly. Didn’t know she was non binary just thought it was a bit ridiculous. So nobody has a photograph, ID card, nothing of what this Ambassador is supposed to look like? You just show up on a starship and say you are Admiral Dooku and everybody hops to? Stupid lazy writing. Don’t even get me started on the mutiny storyline. Ugh.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I’m always amazed how easy it is to take over the Enterprise. Seriously, how many times has this happened?

Yeah, it is a WAY over-used trope. The Enterprise (in this version) has a crew of over 400 people. They demonstrated SOME smarts, in that they had phasers hidden under the consoles on the bridge, so they at least got to fight back. No way 20-30 attackers could take over a crew of 400+ on their OWN SHIP. The one in Next Gen was even dumber, though, when the Ferengi (of all people) took over the Enterprise D in the episode "Rascals."

quote:
I hated the over the top character villain. Just silly. Didn’t know she was non binary just thought it was a bit ridiculous. So nobody has a photograph, ID card, nothing of what this Ambassador is supposed to look like? You just show up on a starship and say you are Admiral Dooku and everybody hops to? Stupid lazy writing. Don’t even get me started on the mutiny storyline. Ugh.

He/she/it was lame, but that's probably because I read the comments about its 'gender identity' or whatever. That made his/its preaching to Spock about Spock's identity crisis even worse. Stuff like 'you don't have to be human or Vulcan; you can be both or neither. . .' Made me want to puke.

That aside, it wasn't that good of an episode. The scenes on the enemy ship with the landing party taken captive were too comical to take seriously. It was like "Give us the access codes or we will murder your crew" and Pike replied "Hey, sure, but how about first I make you a delicious stew?". . . It was inappropriate humor in a situation that had potentially lethal consequences. THEN, he made the comment about the Klingons and slaves, with the camera focused on the black lady pirate.

It was also dumb (IMO) that it was too far away to communicate with Starfleet, but they have real-time comms with Vulcan. And the show-down with T'Spritz (or whatever her name is - Spock's betrothed) was just stupid. Hey, let me do a really lame and wooden confession of my love for the hot nurse. . . It was painful to watch.

On, and at the very end, they bring up Sybok (Spock's half-brother from Star Trek V) - that won't end well.

I was actually enjoying this show so far (last week's episode with the kid being plugged into the machine was good, and the ending was unexpectedly dark), but this episode had so much promise but failed to deliver on it.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This week’s episode was pretty good. Obviously a heavy rip off from Alien/Aliens, with some Predator-vision thrown in, but interesting enough.

Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Why would phasers, particularly rifles be ineffective?

Why are they not bipedal like TOS?

Nothing grows that goddamned fast.

How is this ten or more years before Kirk and the gang, but they never heard of the Gorn?

Aside from all that, decent episode I guess.

So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
How is this ten or more years before Kirk and the gang, but they never heard of the Gorn?

The Gorn were unknown to the Federation until TOS episode Arena, where Kirk and crew battle the Gorn ship/Captain.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dzozer:
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:

The Gorn were unknown to the Federation until TOS episode Arena, where Kirk and crew battle the Gorn ship/Captain.

That’s the point. In the TOS, they hadn’t heard of the Gorn, but in this series, set 10 years before, the Gorn are known and have been seen.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
TNG got off to a bad start, too. "The Naked Now" - with the "fully functional" Data - anyone? Big Grin (As an inorganic being, he should not have been affected by the disease.)

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
That’s the point. In the TOS, they hadn’t heard of the Gorn, but in this series, set 10 years before, the Gorn are known and have been seen.

Pike has no time for mission reports! Must prepare banquet meals for the bridge crew!

Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:

Pike has no time for mission reports! Must prepare banquet meals for the bridge crew!

IKR? What a bachelor pad. Dude should be getting more ass than a bicycle seat.