SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Picard is back...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picard is back... Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the forward intel on Picard being a SJW project for CBS. Really shouldn't be surprised at all. CBS' SJW bullcrap has now RUINED two fairly decent Star Trek series...this one and "Discovery".

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11048 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I quit discovery because of the sjw stuff. Looks like I won’t even start Picard.

I was really hoping for something good.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
“I think what we’re trying to say is important,” he says. “The world of ‘Next Generation’ doesn’t exist anymore. It’s different. Nothing is really safe. Nothing is really secure.”

Yeah, 1987 was SUCH a rosy world, with the peaceful SOVIET UNION threatening the world with nuclear war.

Right. Roll Eyes

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21820 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Wifey just bought CBS Access in order to watch it. I’ll give it at least one episode to see how it goes, but if too much “SJW Wokeness” then I’m done. I’m pretty much “done” with all the “super hero/sci-fi” stuff that Hollyweird has been spewing forth, but I’ve got to admit, Jeri Ryan is still damn hot for an almost 52-year old.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Is this a whole season or a trickle of an episode per week?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Is this a whole season or a trickle of an episode per week?
1 episode/week.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6187 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
So 3 episodes look to have been broadcast now.

What's the verdict?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16143 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
CBS released the first episode on YouTube. I liked the episode, though I'm not familiar with the events have that transpired between the "present" timeline in The Next Generation and this series. I'll wait for the season to complete to decide whether to sign up for the streaming service.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18017 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Good to know that in the future, age discrimination has vanished & there still isn’t a remedy for baldness,lol

Posts: 13790 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
So 3 episodes look to have been broadcast now.

What's the verdict?

I like it so far. It's building into an interesting story. Lots of easter eggs and callbacks to previous STTNG Episodes, movies, etc. Something a little different from normal STTNG as the story arc is over the entire season and not one or two episodes.

Posts: 1693 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
A bit slow on the buildup, but I’m still watching.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17243 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I have not watched any of the CBS Star Trek shows after the first few episodes of Discovery. My impressions of the reviews I have seen is that if you were a casual Star Trek fan, these new Series are okay but if you were a serious Trekkie, the shows are horrible. I've decided that as long as the current production company is in charge of Star Trek, I just won't be watching it.

There is a rumor currently out there that the Star Trek IP could be sold off to NBC/Universal with Seth McFarland as the show runner. I think I would watch that provided they ignored everything that happened to Star Trek after Star Trek: Nemesis.

Posts: 3367 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I know Seth McFarland is polarizing but I honestly think he would do a wonderful job with real Trek.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7625 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
Watching it. I still haven't seen anything special yet that sets it apart from the other Trek series.

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who is this Seth McFarland?

Is this guy supposed to be Seth MacFarlane of the The Family guy, "The Orville", etc.

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Yes. Sorry I misspelled his name.

Posts: 3367 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
As it turns out, I've ended up watching the show each week. Gene Roddenberry would be rolling in his grave if he hadn't been cremated. This show definitely doesn't epitomize the ideals he injected into the production of the original series and The Next Generation.

The themes depicted in the series so far are basic tropes from every other B-rated sci-fi show. Racial divides, estranged families, secret government agencies within agencies. While these topics were covered in Roddenberry's Star Trek series, they were poignant and moving. In Picard, it's all filler with no substance and it's annoying as hell.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18017 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I pretty much agree with Orguss but I overlook the tendency toward "all filler and no substance" and just roll with it enjoying it as an old man's diversion. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16143 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Just when I thought the show was turning around and going to end the season high, it dives in the steaming pile of shit where the "innocent victims are really evil."

Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
It's entertaining, but it's not Star Trek any more than the reboot films are. It's a fun story set to Star Trek characters. The SJW crap is there, but it's not constant, and it even subverts itself a bit - the poor refugees that needed to be saved are the antagonists and causing real problems.

Posts: 3652 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post