SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Picard is back...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picard is back... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Anyone still watching? Just finished episode 4 and it’s still holding my interest. At least the main plot seems to finally moving forward with the Titan finally out of the nebula (not really a spoiler since you knew they had to get out, or the season would be over pretty quickly). The storytelling still seems a bit wonky with things seeming to be set up more for dramatic moments than making logical sense for the situation (of course the holodeck still works when the Titan needs every ounce of power to keep from dying). Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Alien space jellyfish babies? WTF? And they seemed to deal with the Shrike far too easily.

Anyone else notice what looked like an LCARS label in the upper right corner of the screen when the Shrike turned to go back into the Nebula after Vadic talked to the hand? Blooper? Edit: I guess it was ejecting the portal weapon, which had a giant Daystrom Institute label on the side.

Finally, Seven, or all people, knows that “pot” is slang for cannabis? Is that still a thing in the 25th century?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dwill104,

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I haven't watched Episode 4, yet. The series is much better than last season, so I'll keep watching.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I found the first two seasons unwatchable, but I’m really enjoying this one. I’m just hoping they don’t spend the whole season giving Picard the family he always secretly wanted only for it to turn out to be a changeling. Clearly some weirdness with that kid.

Stewart is knocking it out of the park. Frakes was excellent in episode 4. And Shaw is growing on me, even if is is “a dipshit from Chicago” with crippling PTSD. Hopefully he starts calling Seven by her real name.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I liked the explanation for why the holodeck continued to function, as it retconned most of the use of them in emergency situations through the course of all the previous Star Trek series.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am watching this season. Couldn’t get through the last season. It’s ok-ish. Picard the actor is old as fuck and it shows. They really need to kill him off. Every line he delivers sounds like a death bed scene. He’s horrible now.

So, I’m not a trekkie, so I didn’t know Jack Crusher was her first husband. So you have a baby with JL, produce a son, and name him after your dead first husband? That sounds like a nut shot to both dudes. Wtf?

Raffia is awful. I remember hating her from the other season but her addiction makes her even harder to watch.

This is not a very good show.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Raffia is awful. I remember hating her from the other season but her addiction makes her even harder to watch.

Yea she needs to get killed off a few seasons ago...

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2671 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I had ditched Picard after Season 1, episode 2.

However I picked up Season 3 episode 1 and it's actually entertaining. Worf be looking like Master Pai Mei.

It's Secondhand Lions in space with Picard and Riker.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34107 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
So, I’m not a trekkie, so I didn’t know Jack Crusher was her first husband. So you have a baby with JL, produce a son, and name him after your dead first husband? That sounds like a nut shot to both dudes. Wtf?

I gave up on Picard 2 seasons ago, but here's the backstory there:

Jack Crusher had been Picard's best friend since their academy days. They served together on the USS Stargazer, and continued serving together when the Stargazer became Picard's first captaincy. Jack was later killed on an away mission under Picard's command, and it's stated that Picard had to make a command decision to not save Jack in order to save the lives of others, although specific details of the incident were never provided in canon.

Picard and Jack's wife, Dr. Beverly Crusher, had been friends while Jack was alive, and they became very close after Jack's death. This included romantic feelings, although Picard never acted on their shared feelings while Beverly was under his command, due to his sense of duty and remaining regret about the loss of Jack.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Even Picard says he'd have named him the exact same thing. Jack was his best friend.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So I was one of those folks who watched like 2 eps or season two and I was out.

Season one was …. Ok. I didn’t like the retconning or grim dark tone but ultimately season one was ok.

In preparation for season 3 I decided to gut through season 2 and I have to say that while I hate the grim dark R rated Trek stuff and I don’t like the retconning and I HATED the preachy early stuff……by the end it was pretty satisfying Trek. If this had been done in the original TONE of the show and dialed back on the preaching/SJW stuff this would have been a really solid Trek arc. Unfortunately you have to Wade through so much bullshit to get there but buried in season 2 is some satisfying Trek, you just gotta really dig for it.

I have high hopes for season three from what I have read and hope it rights the ship in terms of all those other things that drove me crazy.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
So I was one of those folks who watched like 2 eps or season two and I was out.

Season one was …. Ok. I didn’t like the retconning or grim dark tone but ultimately season one was ok.

In preparation for season 3 I decided to gut through season 2 and I have to say that while I hate the grim dark R rated Trek stuff and I don’t like the retconning and I HATED the preachy early stuff……by the end it was pretty satisfying Trek. If this had been done in the original TONE of the show and dialed back on the preaching/SJW stuff this would have been a really solid Trek arc. Unfortunately you have to Wade through so much bullshit to get there but buried in season 2 is some satisfying Trek, you just gotta really dig for it.

I have high hopes for season three from what I have read and hope it rights the ship in terms of all those other things that drove me crazy.

I never watched Season 2 past the first two episodes, but I’ve been watching Season 3 since it started. There is nothing in Season 2 that you need to know to watch Season 3. I guess it was all a dream.

Episode 5 is pretty interesting. A surprise cameo from a TNG character. Unfortunately, a bit of Raffi action in the episode. Worf makes it sort of tolerable, but I can’t help but notice that they had a chance (story wise) to get rid of Raffi and keep Worf in the plot.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Caught up on S3 and wow it’s really good. Honestly what it should have been from the beginning. I still don’t like the “darker more violent tone” but all in all this is the first Trek in forever that FEELS like Trek.

I don’t have a problem with dark tones or violence in general I just don’t like when a property shifts tone fairly radically over its course.

Really excellent season though and I kinda love Shaw. I’d watch a Trek show centered on him and his crew.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Nice turn of events in Episode 5 with the return of and redemption of Ro Laren. I'd always disliked the character--as well as Michelle Forbes, since she was always playing spiteful, vindictive characters in shows I liked. But she turned it around with this episode and now I'm sad we'll never see Ro again.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I’m enjoying this season.

The closing credits are fun. There’s a little bit of every episode so far that’s been alluded to in them. I don’t read music, but I’m fairly sure I know what the staff notes in the closing credits are after today’s episode.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Nice turn of events in Episode 5 with the return of and redemption of Ro Laren. I'd always disliked the character--as well as Michelle Forbes, since she was always playing spiteful, vindictive characters in shows I liked. But she turned it around with this episode and now I'm sad we'll never see Ro again.

I didn’t care for the Ro Laren character in TNG, but I enjoyed her Admiral Cain in BSG very much, even though she was pretty evil.

Episode 6 is out. A bit slower and less tense than the previous episodes, and seems to be very heavy on fan service.

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Ok, finally got around to watching Season 3. It's got some great eye candy. The visuals on the Titan are stunning. The actor playing Jack Crusher is a pretty good actor. I still don't like Picard - he is WAYYYY too old to be engaged in such life-and-death darings-do. He sounds like he should be in a home somewhere doing nothing more strenuous than playing checkers (Chess would be WAY too exciting for him).

I hate the Rafi subplot. Honestly, I've bene skipping over it all until Worf showed up. I really don't like her character.

Some discussions here and on facebook reminded me what I fundamentally dislike about ST:Picard. It really isn't "Star Trek."

Sure, Trek has ALWAYS been political. Racism, nationalism, basic timeless human stories and issues.

But, the defining attribute of Star Trek has always been its fundamental optimism. It started in the 1960s, with the world on the edge of a nuclear war, people no-kidding building fall-out shelters in their back yard. Trek taught us there is hope for the future. We CAN be better than ourselves. We CAN overcome basic human pettiness and faults. We are capable of being better than we are. Sure, we will always have our issues, and Trek had a world-wide nuclear war and a eugenics war set in the 1990s (not sure if they are one and the same - I'm not that current on the Trek version of the late 20th century).

But this carp is DARK. In previous seasons, the future showed a super GrimDark hellscape version of the year 2024. Guinan, a black woman who LIVED THROUGH the 1860s on Earth, was leaving because presumably Trump and MAGA Republicans made the country so toxic she couldn't stand it anymore. Sure, there are no slave markets downtown, but the racial attitudes in modern America are now too much for her. Poor 'undocumented workers' were being hauled off in chains. The Starfleet 'present day' was no better - Starfleet just stopped being Starfleet. They turned their backs on Romulus, allowing billions to die because they didn't want to be bothered with an evacuation effort. Everybody was corrupt. Never mind the stupid plot devices (they ACTUALLY had a Borg Cube destroyed by a FLOWER, and people went literally insane by some stupid prophecy of the future).

The new show is also full of crap that doesn't make sense. The Titan leave space dock without the Captain ever showing up on the bridge. He is then revealed to be obnoxious 'by-the-books' putz to compare and contrast with the 'seat-of-their-pants hold-my-beer' Picard and Riker. The whole dinner scene was just a blunt-force-trauma display of how unlikeable he is. Then, 7 of 9 commits MUTINY and he doesn't immediately arrest her and confine her to the brig. Then the Captain just turns over his ship to the RETIRED Admiral to let the senior citizen with obvious cognitive issues take command.

Granted, the new villain is pretty decent (just started episode 3).

It IS better than the previous 2 seasons, so I agree that this one seems to be fairly decent thus far.

Oh, and Gates McFadden has aged VERY well. She has such a classic beauty that age has not diminished at all.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The latest episode was definitely packed with fan service; however, there were a few things that seemed like errors:

Why would Daystrom have Kirk's body? He was perhaps the most famous captain in Federation history. Surely, he'd be enshrined somewhere, like Starfleet headquarters or something. Instead, he's locked away forever in a black site?

How and why do they have a still-functioning Genesis Device? It's been over 100 years since the events of The Wrath of Khan to the time of the Picard series. The one in The Wrath of Khan was a prototype. And after the utter failure of its deployment, I'd find it hard to believe Starfleet would pursue further research into such a destructive device.

And I didn't see the NX-01 at the museum. Did I miss it?

posted Hide Post
Don’t think they were errors so much as just rampant fan service. They were probably just one shot easter eggs that will never be explained. I think the NX-01 was there in the museum in the background, but in the refit configuration with the secondary hull added.

The thing that bugged me about the episode was the timing of infiltrating Daystrom Station. Supposedly they had only 1 hour to get in and out because Starfleet had regular patrols. However, almost as soon as the away team beamed down, Starfleet ships showed up (seriously, is there any ship in Starfleet that isn’t packed with Changing infiltrators in the command positions?) so now, they should have a lot less than 1 hour. Anyway, for some reason the Starfleet ships can’t simply find their life signs and beam the away team aboard, they have to send people down and search the station room by room. This 1 hour timeline is apparently enough for the Titan to warp to the ship museum, go through some LaForge family drama, steal the cloaking device from the Bounty, get it installed and working without blowing up the ship, and warp back just in time as the away team gets found. That’s just lazy writing.

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Season three has been pretty good so far. Season two was horrible. I'm happy the lesbians haven't been trust in the spotlight too much so far...

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Here's a very long and in-depth interview with the composers on the show going into detail about their process with the season. Some spoilers maybe included.

https://trekmovie.com/2023/03/...sic-star-trek-music/

Posts: 4155 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post