SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Picard is back...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picard is back... Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Patrick Stewart is coming back for a new Star Trek series.

Sucky part is its on the new CBS pay channel

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Might be the greatest thing since sliced bread but I'll never know - not paying for broadcast TV for a single show, when I already pay for CBS via cable.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I love Picard, but I'm not ponying up for yet another streaming service. Especially for just one show.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Would he be playing a starship captain, or some kind of elder statesman role? He's 78 years old. I know in Star Trek's time humans lived longer, and he does look pretty good for his age, but come on, that's old to be a believable captain.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No details along those lines yet. But yeah, he's well past due for making Admiral.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the virtue signalling of the last show makes me sure i will skip this one.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I've been hoping for them to continue the REAL Star Trek story onward (hear that, JJ?) ever since they cancelled Voyager, but I will NOT watch a pay channel.

At least it's not another stupid prequel series. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Wait a few years until they get a few seasons in the can.
Binge watch.
Cancel.
Repeat.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
I fear this will be a worse SJW mess than ST:TNG by covering all our current "modern problems" in their parallel future universe.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Would he be playing a starship captain, or some kind of elder statesman role? He's 78 years old. I know in Star Trek's time humans lived longer, and he does look pretty good for his age, but come on, that's old to be a believable captain.

He mentioned in the announcement that he might not be a starship captain. He also said that it would take place about twenty years after the last film. Elder statesman sounds about right.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I will watch it purely to see him.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC:
I fear this will be a worse SJW mess than ST:TNG by covering all our current "modern problems" in their parallel future universe.

Maybe Picard will be transitioning.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Really? We're complaining about social issues in TNG when the original series had the first interracial kiss on TV? It also had at least one episode right off the top of my head that was about nothing BUT race and another one that was thinly veiled as "don't destroy nature just for the sake of profit".

As I said, those are just off the top of my head.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Complaining or commenting, you be the judge. Also there is a bit of a difference between an interacial kiss and the thought of seeing a transitioning Picard in drag.

Picture of SecurityGeek
posted Hide Post
If you hear something that sounds like “NOOOOOOOOOOOO!, it’s just Shatner.

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?"

- Satchel Paige

Posts: 194 | Location: Little Elm, Texas | Registered: April 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
Really? We're complaining about social issues in TNG when the original series had the first interracial kiss on TV? It also had at least one episode right off the top of my head that was about nothing BUT race and another one that was thinly veiled as "don't destroy nature just for the sake of profit".

As I said, those are just off the top of my head.

I try to forget about those ultra preachy episodes...as well as any featuring Wesley, Worf's son, and Troy's mom. Some were just Stupid.

I believe the preachy ones were from when Roddenberry was in charge?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
The one where they got the cryogenically preserved people from a capsule really turned me off.
They whole, no want for wealth or need for money.

Bullshit. People do manual labor for FREE?

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Eh. Not a big Picard fan, and Patrick Stewart has lost any sort of support I ever had for him with all his weird roles he’s played the last few years. Always thought he was a bit too much of a goody 2 shoes as a starship captain.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I’m in.

Discovery is decent, so I’m more optimistic than usual for another new Stat Trek series.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17247 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
The one where they got the cryogenically preserved people from a capsule really turned me off.
They whole, no want for wealth or need for money.

Bullshit. People do manual labor for FREE?

That's one of the great unresolved contradictions in the Star Trek universe.

The shows reference Roddenberry's "puppies and rainbows and no desire for payment" ideals, while at the same time making references to Starfleet personnel receiving compensation in the form of things like transporter credits, replicator credits, holodeck credits, etc. And it's clearly shown that Starfleet members receive some sort of payment, even if it's just to allow them to deal with traders and merchants outside of Starfleet, such as all the Starfleet personnel gambling and buying drinks at Quark's bar on DS9, going on vacations to alien resort worlds, etc.