SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Picard is back...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picard is back... Login/Join 
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
What a total pile of steaming garbage this series is.
The only redeeming thing. The little latin Dr. gal is really pretty.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Checked out after a couple of episodes into the second season and doubt I’ll be back. Not interested in watching rest of season 2 to catch up.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm actually Taken Back quite a bit that freedom-loving individuals would love Star Trek.

Posts: 17 | Registered: February 07, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:

quote:
Checked out after a couple of episodes into the second season and doubt I’ll be back. Not interested in watching rest of season 2 to catch up.

It would appear that all of them except Raffi have been kicked off the show and is mostly the TNG crew.

quote:
I'm actually Taken Back quite a bit that freedom-loving individuals would love Star Trek.

Is there a good reason why people shouldn't watch a show that historically has been about freedom and self-determination minus the trash from 2009 and onward?

Posts: 4164 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:

quote:

It would appear that all of them except Raffi have been kicked off the show and is mostly the TNG crew.

quote:

Is there a good reason why people shouldn't watch a show that historically has been about freedom and self-determination minus the trash from 2009 and onward?

Don't get me wrong I'm not having a go at you I am just surprised that one of the world's most free countries watch a TV show with a one-world government no capitalism that's all.

Posts: 17 | Registered: February 07, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
Ugh I had to just stop it in the middle of an episode and watch something else.
I thought it couldn’t get worse.
It did.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Speerchucker:
Don't get me wrong I'm not having a go at you I am just surprised that one of the world's most free countries watch a TV show with a one-world government no capitalism that's all.

Well we do understand it is science fiction.
Fiction being the key word.

And Picard can own a huge swath of land while others are forced to live in apartments.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Speerchucker:

It's the perfect escapism (before 2009). It's a world where humanity has solved it's problems instead of a dystopian hell scape that is heaped upon us with no stopping. As a result, the stories that flow from that premise are interesting and though provoking.

Posts: 4164 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty harsh review.

https://us.yahoo.com/finance/n...eview-080010650.html

Very long article, but the headline says it all.

Don’t watch ‘Star Trek: Picard’ season three, it’ll only encourage them. The third season is yet another misguided waste of everyone’s time.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’m a big fan of TOS and TNG and was considering checking out Picard after recently signing up for Paramount+ but after reading the comments here I’m going to pass.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
A good review of Picard Season 3 by Nerdrotic

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3923 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
First episode was good. So far, only one of the new characters from the previous two seasons has returned. A lot of nods to The Next Generation but also a strange homage to Star Trek, in that the new ship, the Titan has a saucer based on the original Constitution-class saucer. It's jarring and out of place after seeing sleeker ships for the past 30 years.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Orguss,

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I believe it's a "Constitution II" Class Starship from something I read. I'd agree about lack of imagination, but with the trash we've gotten, I'll forgive it if the rest of the show is good.

I'm going to wait for the whole season before I start watching, but enough of the right people seem to be positive about this.

posted Hide Post
Decided to give the new season a try. So far it has possibilities. Fortunately, so far don’t have to know anything about Season 2, which I only watched two episodes of and refuse to watch any more. Good news, no sign of Dr. Jurati, a character I really hated from day 1. But Raffi is still there, which is unfortunate. Still fairly lazy writing though, with things just seem to happen that don’t make much logical sense.

Random musings:

- Really don’t like the design of the Titan-A. Blocky and chunky, and definitely a retrograde step from the sleek Enterprise-E

- I guess they have pump action phaser rifles now? Phaser shotgun?

- Captain Shaw of the Titan-A is a major ahole. Not entirely wrong about Picard and Riker just constantly doing questionable stuff, though. But, still he was pretty disrespectful for a Starfleet Captain of probably a top tier starship. Putting a retired Admiral and active Captain in a bunk bed? Really?

- Seven of Nine now a Starfleet Commander and second in command of the Titan-A? Guess going to Starfleet Academy and working your way up the ranks is for suckers!

- Never understood why ships leaving space dock don’t bother to wait for the doors to fully open. Guess it’s just too cool to have it look like they are going to hit the doors.

- The plan for Picard and Riker to get to where they are going is the stupidest plan ever. No way it was ever going to work, except for the deus ex machina of Seven being on the ship and hating her life.

- Locking the ship down doesn’t stop unauthorized shuttle launches, and you can’t just tractor beam the shuttle?

- Show needs more Laris!

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Worf!

Ah, what a satisfying episode. Amanda Plummer is doing well as the mysterious villain, Vadic.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The Yahoo review by Daniel Cooper sums the show up perfectly. I can’t speak for Roddenberry but with Picard, “they have gone where they shouldn’t have gone at all”.

Posts: 13811 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I want to know is why Jack Crusher has a British accent. There’s no indication that he was raised by anyone besides his mother, who isn’t British.

Oh look, let’s play hide in the nebula. First time that’s been done!

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Jack Crusher is British by virtue of being Picard's son, even though Picard is French, due simply to the fact that Patrick Stewart is British. The very same logic was applied to Picard's younger self in Rascals though with an even more pronouced British accent than that of his adult self. It's dumb.

Before I realized he was Picard's son, I was hoping he was a clone of the original Jack Crusher, Beverly's deceased husband.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Jack Crusher is British by virtue of being Picard's son, even though Picard is French, due simply to the fact that Patrick Stewart is British. The very same logic was applied to Picard's younger self in Rascals though with an even more pronouced British accent than that of his adult self. It's dumb.

Before I realized he was Picard's son, I was hoping he was a clone of the original Jack Crusher, Beverly's deceased husband.

Having a younger version of an adult with the same accent makes sense, but in this case Picard wasn’t around when Jack was growing up, so where did he pick up a British accent? Was Beverly making him listen to old Daddy tapes so he could grow up with the proper accent?

I know, it’s really just story magic.

posted Hide Post
I guess they did address the accent in Episode 3. Not sure it really works for me, but whatever. At least this season has a lot of action, but the constant swapping back and forth between the two main storylines is a bit distracting. It always seems to happen at a critical moment. Not sure that I’m buying the very sudden turn in Riker’s and Picard’s relationship. Seems very out of character for both, especially Riker. But have to say that seems to be most interesting and watchable season of Picard so far.