SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Picard is back...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picard is back... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Anyone notice how almost every one of Picard’s schemes this season seems to go horribly wrong?

First, get on board the Titan and expect to convince the Captain to take them where they want to go because, come on, he’s Picard. Result: Shaw isn’t impressed by their crap and ignores them. Requires Seven to hijack the ship while Shaw is sleeping.

Convince Riker to attack the Shrike, although it’s clearly a much more powerful ship. Result: Shrike portals their torpedoes back to the Titan, crippling it and resulting in it nearly being destroyed by the nebula.

Sneak into Daystrom Station for a quick in and out. Result: Riker captured and tortured, Troi (maybe) kidnapped to get Riker to talk.

Have Geordi connect Data/Lore to the Titan so they can find out what was stolen. Result: Lore takes control of the ship at a critical time.

Tell Vadic where they are to lure her into a trap. Result: Vadic now has control of the Titan bridge.

Have to wonder if some of the bridge crew aren’t asking themselves if there is anyone one else around that can take charge? Anyone? Maybe the bald Science Officer?

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Well, they've combined Data and Lore into one personality. So now he's naturally got emotions, can use contractions, and can be sarcastic while still being loyal to his Next Generation crewmates. It's a bit off-putting but at least it's Data...

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18024 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well! The new episode is interesting. What was behind the red door was unexpected and they’ve gone full-on TNG nostalgia this episode. It will be interesting to see what technobabble they will use to fix everything in the final episode.

Bummer to lose a character that people really enjoyed, though.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Wow, this week's episode was bad.

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

So, they reveal the big bad of this season, and surprise, surprise, it's the Borg. Again. You know, the bad guys they neutralized LAST SEASON?

They bring back (now) Admiral Shelby (the blond Commander from the double episode The Best of Both Worlds), which was cool, only to kill her 3 minutes later, which was not.

Borg assimilate via bluetooth signal now (sighs depressedly).

So, the ENTIRE FRICKEN FLEET is Borgified, and the new Borg (everybody under 25 yrs old, because reasons) kill everybody else (I guess the writers forgot the Borg assimilate, not commit genocide).

So, BEST CASE SCENARIO, our heroes defeat the Borg (again), but a good 400-500,000 Starfleet members have been killed (everybody over 25 yrs old on all the 'possessed'ships was gunned down).

Oh, they 'bring out the museum piece,' and fly to the rescue on the Enterprise D. Like Geordi, ONE DUDE, restored the ship all by himself. In secret. That is like a bored Navy engineer restoring a mothballed nuclear carrier in his free time. And, of course, it is fully fueled and armed, and 7 people (and Crusher and Troi never did much anyway) are crewing a ship meant for a thousand crew. . . (Sighs even more depressedly).

The writing just sucks. Oh, the two girls (7 and Raffi) stay behind on the Titan with the wounded Capt Shaw. There was NO REASON for this, except I'm sure they will do something important next week to save the day. But, they stayed with a dying douchebag they didn't even like, even though it was evident that staying was a death sentence and Shaw was mortally wounded. Of COURSE, they will survive (can't kill off the lesbian couple), but it was a dumb move.

Somehow, the Enterprise E was destroyed in the past. They all looked at Worf, who said "That wasn't my fault."

I'm betting Jack survives. A recurring theme with Picard is his angst at never having an heir/family. They can't introduce a son only to kill him off. I'm guessing Picard sacrifices himself to save Jack and defeat the Borg (again). I doubt they will kill Data a 3rd time. Geordi will get his daughters back, and everybody else will get their happy ending.

I like Fan Service and nostalgia as much as the next guy, but they are cramming WAY TOO MUCH into every episode. More isn't always better. They never should have had a Picard show at all, ESPECIALLY 3 seasons of it.

I pray to God they never reboot Babylon 5.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Hey, those tears welling up on your eyes seeing them all on the old "D" bridge with the Enterprise theme playing is supposed to increase your suspension of disbelieve five folds. They aren't running the ship with just seven senior citizens. They have drones for a crew. Razz

"USS Enterprise now under command of Captain Jean-Luc Picard." I know they recycled that line from "Chain of Command. Part II", but hearing Majel Barrett's voice again did get to me a bit.

Posts: 2662 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
So, they reveal the big bad of this season, and surprise, surprise, it's the Borg. Again. You know, the bad guys they neutralized LAST SEASON?

Normally, I'd agree with you, but you're actually upset/annoyed they're ignoring previous Kurtzman Trash? I'm going to file this under "no big deal."

quote:
Oh, they 'bring out the museum piece,' and fly to the rescue on the Enterprise D. Like Geordi, ONE DUDE, restored the ship all by himself. In secret. That is like a bored Navy engineer restoring a mothballed nuclear carrier in his free time. And, of course, it is fully fueled and armed, and 7 people (and Crusher and Troi never did much anyway) are crewing a ship meant for a thousand crew. . . (Sighs even more depressedly).

He is assigned to the museum and it could have been an upcoming exhibit.

And the music has been bloody awesome. I'll be buying it in Hi Res when it comes out next week.

quote:
I pray to God they never reboot Babylon 5.

The only person rebooting Babylon 5 is jms, and he's still working on it since over half of the main actors have died. There's also a completed Babylon 5 project that's getting announced at San Diego Comic Con as well.

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:

So I agree with all the nit picks you laid out.. I agree with them all...

Just as a data point Scotty was able to automate the Enterprise when they stole it from space dock in the 'Search for Spock'.

ETA - why/how does a museum need photon torpedoes?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sig 226,

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2675 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Multiple people have run the Enterprise by themselves in previous episodes.

Also found this:

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, it’s done. Got the happy ending everyone expected. Still, the best season of Picard so far. Looks like it’s setting up for a spin-off series (unfortunately without Shaw, it seems). The mid-credits scene was a surprise, though.

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Well, it’s done.

That's about the only good thing I can say about it, as well (though I DID like the mid/post/whatever credits scene).

Sure, this may be "The best season of Picard," but that's like me saying my Thyroid Cancer was one of the best kinds of cancers to have. . .

It was crap storytelling. I was bored with the whole thing, so in full disclosure, I skipped over a great deal of the episode (this one and others). It was just a typical modern "wrap up all the loose ends/everybody gets a happy ending" episode, regardless if it made sense or not. Oh, and they threw in excessive vulgar profanity at least once every episode (OMG - STAR TREK SAID THE F WORD!!!!) like they are middle school students writing a screenplay and are drunk on power and trying to be 'edgy.'

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

So, the full main crew survived, Picard has his family he wanted for decades, and the Borg are defeated (again).

This time, they did something ENTIRELY unique in sci-fi - they did a trench run but THROUGH the Borg cube JUST LIKE RETURN OF THE JEDI, except with the Enterprise D instead of the Falcon/X-Wings. They blew up the ONE BIG SHINEY reactor/widget thing in the middle, which (OF COURSE) destroyed the entire cube and reverted all the Bluetooth Borg back to normal (like a Phantom Menace ending - really, these people have NO IMAGINATION anymore).

There are too many things wrong with this so-called 'plot' to adequately explain. First is the GLARING rip-off of Star Wars plot elements.

Secondly is the 'reset button' mentality, whereby EVERYTHING is back to normal. I mean, it was bad enough that the crew under the age of 25 were all assimilated via bluetooth/wifi signal. BUT, they ALL revert back immediately at the end. There is NO mention (that I noticed - again, I did skip a great deal, which I now realizes may sort of invalidate some of my complaints) of the aftermath and long-term effect this would have on Starfleet in general and the survivors in particular.

But, the bridge crew of the Titan (all younger folks, including Geordi's daughter(s) ) are now fully normal again. In the episode that followed the two-parter "Best of Both Worlds," where Picard was assimilated and forced to wage war against the Federation, Picard broke down and wept over the horrible things he did against his own will. It was a very powerful moment, and Stuart captured the torment he felt from his experience, and his brother said "he (Picard) would deal with it for years to come."
They mentioned this repeatedly in this show - Shaw was one of several Starfleet members (Sisko from DS9 was another) who still blamed Picard for 'assisting' the Borg at Wolf 359. So, all these young crewmembers should have severe PTSD over murdering their fellow crewmembers. Nope, it's 'full speed ahead/happy trails.'

7 gets to be captain of the Titan, now conveniently re-named Enterprise G (because, why not?) Roll Eyes . I had to Google what happened to the Enterprise F - it was apparently decommissioned after the attack on Earth, EVEN THOUGH she is MUCH NEWER THAN THE TITAN!!!! The Titan was Riker's first ship as Captain, making her at least 30 yrs old. So, they keep her (granted, she was refit), but scrap the MUCH NEWER super-ship. I guess they had to have 7 be the 'Captain of the Enterprise,' and they spent so much time on the Titan, they felt they had to keep this ship (maybe they are going to make another series, and wanted to re-use the sets).

Oh, the ENTIRE fleet fires on Spacedock for HOURS, and then the shields go down, but at the end of the episode, it is brand spanking new. No consequences whatsoever. No mention of how many thousands (or more likely, millions, of dead on the fleet's ships, the station, or on Earth.

They make Jack a crew member of the Titan, which I honestly have no problem with. He's a good actor and a good character. I also like 7 of 9 (ever since I watched Voyager), so I don't have a problem with that, either. It's just that the end is played like a happy ending, EVEN THOUGH tens of thousands of Starfleet's best are now dead, Frontier Day is forever marred (imagine a nuke attack on Washington, DC on Independence Day), but, hey, the Enterprise D is now in the fleet museum, so it's all good. . . Roll Eyes

I watched it because I'm a rabid TrekNerd, but I didn't really enjoy it. It did not have a real story - it was just a bunch of stuff that happened with WAY TOO MUCH fan service, actor cameos, and "Hey, it's THAT GUY/SHIP/GIZMO from TNG/VOY/DS9/etc." As stated earlier, I like fan service, and I do admit it was nice to see Shelby and Moriarty again, this was just crap thrown up on the screen for the sake of having stuff to show.

It really looks like they might make a new show with 7 and crew. And, of course, I will watch it, but I probably won't like it. Wink

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The main eye-rolling moment for me was they got to the core, which they needed to destroy to stop the Borg control signal, and instead of destroying it immediately, they waited for like 5 minutes or so, so everyone could have their little emotional moments. At the same time, the Earth’s planetary shields had failed, and the fleet was targeting major cities, but I guess they fortunately held off on actually firing, to give the crew back on the Borg time to work through their stuff. Wrapped up all a little too neatly.

I was a little disappointed to see that it wasn’t Alice Krige actually playing the Borg queen. The credits showed it was her doing the voice, but there was a different person listed for the Borg queen body double.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I was a huge Star Trek fan back in the heyday of Trek in the 1990s. TNG/DS9/VOY were my jam.

However, I have been seriously disappointed with everything Trek that followed, with it getting even worse within the last decade. (With the exception of the little bit of Lower Decks I've seen, but that's basically Trek Parody.)

I had hoped that Picard would represent a course correction, but was soon disappointed. Season 1 was bad but watchable if you were hard up enough for a Trek fix. Picard Season 2 was so awful that I shut it off after a few episodes. It takes a whole lot for such a huge Trek/Captain Picard/Patrick Stewart fan to reach their limit and bail, and I definitely hit my limit.

I was finally recently convinced to give Picard Season 3 a chance, with promises of it being much better. I finished Season 3 today. And I have to say, this was an excellent return to form for Star Trek. It's like someone at Paramount finally had the balls to say: "Okay, everything we've been doing with Trek for the past decade-plus clearly isn't working... Let's scrap it and go back to what worked before."

I mean, they didn't even really bother to bring in anything from the prior 2 seasons, so you didn't even need to have seen prior Picard seasons to pick up Season 3 and run with it, other than a couple important pieces (like Picard now being in a synthetic body) which they quickly and quietly re-explained as needed. So it's clear that they were trying for a mostly clean break from the earlier seasons, to try and win back some of the people like me.

Is it perfect? No. But neither was earlier Trek, even at it mid-90s heights.

Does it have a bit too much fan service? Kinda. But at least they brought in the old faces and places in ways that mostly made sense, rather than simply awkwardly cramming them in there just to say "Oh... look!" like a lot of fan service. Besides, the TNG crew isn't getting any younger, and time was running out for one last hurrah to get the gang back together, so this was right about their last chance.

But it's good. Picard: Season 3 is certainly the best Trek since Voyager, by far.

And honestly, I hope they stick with it. The rumored spin-off with the crew of the Titan/Enterprise could be very watchable, if they rely on what works for Star Trek instead of reverting to pandering to whatever new 202X societal whim the woke winds are currently pushing.

Unlike the elderly TNG crew, Jeri Ryan still has quite a bit of life left in her, and is a strong enough actress (with enough Trek chops to boot) that she could easily head up the show. And some of the younger crew showed promise. I'd totally watch Star Trek: The Next Next Generation with Captain Seven and the younguns. (They'll probably need to workshop that working title, though...)

I mean, there are all kinds of things they can run with under the current galactic situation, with the biggest one being: What's emerging to fill the power vacuum left by the destruction of the Romulan Empire? Or maybe even the Federation is expanding in that direction to fill the gap, and Starfleet now has a whole Beta Quadrant to explore. You know... Seeking out new life and new civilization. Boldly going, and all the usual Star Trek stuff.

Posts: 32517 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I hate Disco, Enterprise and season 1-2 of Picard. Lower Decks is hilarious and very much perfectly on point, but my biggest suprise was Strange New Worlds. Really enjoyed it.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I'd totally watch Star Trek: The Next Next Generation with Captain Seven and the younguns. (They'll probably need to workshop that working title, though...)

How about the Star Trek: The Nexiest Generation? I'd follow season one for sure.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
I hate Disco, Enterprise and season 1-2 of Picard. Lower Decks is hilarious and very much perfectly on point, but my biggest suprise was Strange New Worlds. Really enjoyed it.

quote:
I'd totally watch Star Trek: The Next Next Generation with Captain Seven and the younguns. (They'll probably need to workshop that working title, though...)

How about the Star Trek: The Nexiest Generation? I'd follow season one for sure.

Would it be pre - post - during - alternate timeline?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you're referring to the JJ Abrams alternate timeline from the movies, I'd hope they'd pretend that it doesn't exist. They've done that so far with the rest of Trek.

Posts: 32517 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:

quote:

Would it be pre - post - during - alternate timeline?

I deny any existence of any alternate timeline. I assume that the show would take up the football that Picard season 3 lateraled to the Enterprise-G crew with Seven/Nine et al and run. And like I said, I am a fan of the "prequel" Star Trek SNW series.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post