SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Picard is back...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picard is back... Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Since I will never see this show, can somebody give a brief rundown on what this series is about?

Wikipedia has a fairly comprehensive episode guide and plot line. Link

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The JL nickname is fucking ludicrous and out of place.

The rest was okay, though. I like it well enough.

More Trek is good Trek, IMO. I like the new films and the new cast, so there.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I'd still be in for probably some more episodes but I'd rather not give a dime to CBS or affiliates for any reason.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'm not even going to start a new thread for this stupid show. Season 2, if you want it:

https://youtu.be/zHMti7u9TBE

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
More desperation. If Picard really was a success, it would still be CBS All Access.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
More desperation. If Picard really was a success, it would still be CBS All Access.

Dan, I think that I just read someplace that VIACOM/CBS the parent company now owns Paramount +.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Paramount+ is a rebrand of CBS All Access with some other stuff. It was suppose to be fighting at the top of the streaming services, but failed. Now ViacomCBS is trying again, but this new wave of Star Trek shows were suppose to pull in Game of Thrones numbers while fewer and fewer people care.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
I guess Q aged himself out of respect/pity on account of Picard's old age? Razz

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
i give up trying to embed

https://youtu.be/UDNAdudbg1g

oh, it's firefox blocking me.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched a few scattered episodes with my grandson.

Plus - jeri Ryan’s still hot

Minus - everything else. The kindest thing would have been to let Picard die and save us from the possibility of further episodes.

Even the kid thought it was horrible

Posts: 766 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I've enjoyed season one. I know its not the TNG or TOG, but hell its a good crack at it. It's different. I'll buy the season two DVD.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I just finished watching the first episode of Season 2. As with the series premiere, I thought it was an excellent episode with nods to The Next Generation and Voyager. However, things went quickly downhill in the first season and I can only hope they've learned some lessons from that. I went against grain and watched the preview of what's to come in the season and it does look exciting.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well apparently 7 is a lesbian now.. these fuckers at paramount just have to inject this shit into everything that is supposed to be Star Trek now.

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, 7 was CLEARLY hetero in Voyager (she was involved romantically with Chipotle). Now, suddenly, they decide to make her a lesbian. It's almost as if something happened to 'turn' her gay, and she wasn't 'born that way.' . .

I saw the first Season 2 episode. It was pretty good, to be honest. I'm just suspicious that they will turn the time travel thing on Earth (the year 2024) into a blatant anti-Trump/Right Wing thing.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know they will.. I mean look at how bad Discovery got, it had it’s woke moments and all that but the 1st season wasn’t bad at all. But when they went to the future it went full blown feminazi social justice warrior. I tried to hate watch it but just couldn’t hang more than a few episodes. I really hope Picard doesn’t get that bad, I got all excited when Q showed up

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Discovery was hot garbage from the beginning and I failed to complete season 1. I can't imagine continuing to watch it descend further into Woke madness.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Episode 2 is still exciting and not preachy; however, this has got to be the seventh or eighth time we've seen a version of Mirror, Mirror in a Star Trek series and it's past its prime.

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Episode 2 is still exciting and not preachy; however, this has got to be the seventh or eighth time we've seen a version of Mirror, Mirror in a Star Trek series and it's past its prime.

This isn't a the 'Mirror Universe' (as seen in TOS, DS9, Enterprise, and Disco). This is a dystopian future as the result of Q messing with the time line. Some time in the year 2024, a single event changed the future and Earth ended up supremist alien-haters who basically end up just like the Terran Empire from the mirror universe.

They are going to do a time heist job, go back in time, and 'fix' the time line.

Of course, with the leftists in charge of the show, I bet it will be an America-is-bad BLM hands up/don't shoot scenario where some right-wing totalitarian politician (based on Trump, I will predict) is trying to take over. They already call the Earth govt the 'Confederacy' and named 'General Picard's' Enterprise with the CSS (Confederate States Ship, as the south did in the US Civil War) prefix, vs the USS in the original timeline.

The first 2 episodes were decent, and I really like the new crewmate they brought along as navigator for the time travel jump.

That blond girl remains a whiney, annoying character. 7 is amazing, Picard is too old, the Spanish guy is cool, the Romulan guy is ok, and I don't like Rafi. I guess I only like half the crew. . .

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
All of the Mirror, Mirror stories have been about a dystopian future in which humans are the dominant species in the quadrant. This is no different.

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
All of the Mirror, Mirror stories have been about a dystopian future in which humans are the dominant species in the quadrant. This is no different.

It actually is different. The Mirror Universe is a separate, distinct universe where people can travel to and from, while the 'normal' timeline goes on like before. In this case, that same Mirror Universe still exists, but the differences between the two are minimal. So, in a way, it is the same, but it is also different. There is no 'fixing' the Mirror Universe. It is what it is. In this case, time has been broken. Say, Germany won WWII, or the Cuban Missile Crisis resulted in WWIII, or the Brits won the American Revolution. It could be something as simple as Joseph Kennedy Jr did NOT die when his aircraft exploded by accident in WWII, and he went on to be Joe Sr's choice for president. It's the butterfly effect.

In this case, I am guessing we aren't spending any real amount of time in the dystopian universe. The first episode set the context for the season. The 2nd episode showed the dystopian future. I'm guessing the 3rd episode will show the crew escaping and jumping into the past. With only 10-12 episodes, they have to keep up the pace. There aren't many (if any) filler/slice of life episodes. Essentially, these new shows (Disco, Picard) are 10-hr long movies, with a single plot driving the entire season (Disco Season 1 was the Klingon War, S2 was Control/Red Angel, S3 the Burn, and S4 the GMA/Species 10C).

Based on the trailers, a lot of the action takes place in our 'present.' One scene showed 7 in a car chase driving a (presumably) stolen police car. I bet the majority of the season takes place in 2024 (which will save a LOT of SFX budget).

So, short story long, it's not technically the Mirror Universe, but it's more of like "Yesterday's Enterprise," showing a 'bad future' where things go wrong based on a single event (Enterprise C coming through the rift and not being destroyed saving a Klingon outpost from the Romulans). Just like Yesterday's Enterprise, the crew has to 'set right what once went wrong.'

It actually sounds like a decent premise, assuming they don't go full SJW retard (and I'm not hopeful, based on how much Patrick Stewart is butt-hurt over Trump/Brexit/etc).