SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New Shogun series
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Shogun series Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
I really like Hiroyuki Sanada.

But he’s no Toshiro Mifune.

I wonder why Ken Watanabe wasn't considered for the role (although Sanada is killing it). Maybe too much like his performance in The Last Samurai? Or his health issues?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16823 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Hopefully Watanabe is still in remission. He’s an excellent actor. Isn’t Sanada one of the producers?

And to be clear I have nothing against him. He’s superb. He’s just not Mifune and I can be occasionally unfair…

Posts: 2643 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe too much like his performance in The Last Samurai?

I love him, but this is relevant. Also I got the sense from the book that Toranaga was a bit shorter, with something of a dad belly.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9183 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Season 2 of Tokyo Vice is being released on Max right now. Watanabe is in that series and I wonder if there was a scheduling conflict.

quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
I really like Hiroyuki Sanada.

But he’s no Toshiro Mifune.

I wonder why Ken Watanabe wasn't considered for the role (although Sanada is killing it). Maybe too much like his performance in The Last Samurai? Or his health issues?

Posts: 2734 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38187 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ibanda:
I read the book in about 1986 and can't remember the story at all! I'm going to watch the series, and it will be an all new story for me!

Well I watched the first two episodes and it's shaping up to be an excellent series!

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1936 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I watched about 10-20 minutes of episode 1.
Does it ever stop being pure subtitles?
If I wanted to read something I'd go read a book.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1564 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:

Yeah it gets better. After the first half hour or 45 minutes, English speaking (they are actually speaking Portuguese, but in the show it’s spoken as English, so no subtitles needed) characters show up. But a good bit is still subtitled since all the Japanese dialog is still in Japanese.

Posts: 3403 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:

Some of the finest TV/Movies I’ve watched have been in the original language and subtitled…also forces the viewer to pay attention to what’s happening on the screen!

Off the top of my head without Googling…

FAUDA - TV
Squid Games - TV
Blue Eye Samurai - TV

7 Samurai- Movie
IP Man - Movie

…and yes, for many of the above, there is an English language setting, but the experience is better. For example, Blue Eye Samurai was written and produced in English, but I HATED it and switched to Japanese with English subtitles…I enjoyed it significantly more.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12390 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really good show so far. Heck, I had turn on subtitles for “The Sopranos” and “Peaky Blinders” and English is my first language, so I don’t mind that much.

Posts: 5228 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've watched the first two episodes and vividly recall watching the series 40+ years ago. The new version of the book seems very well done so far and I'm looking forward to future episodes. I love the complexity of the people, cultures, and plots. The novel was a great read and obviously what arrives on the screen can't rival it, but this production certainly does works well in it's medium and I'd highly recommend it!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10255 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2561 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Great episode this week (epi #3). Mariko busts out her combat skills when their caravan is ambushed by not one but two samurai groups, and the awesome 2-ship escape from Osaka harbor.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16823 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
the awesome 2-ship escape from Osaka harbor

The pistol shot would have been sweet, but I get that some things are going to be cut.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9183 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Learning from Shogun.pdf

senza nome, どうもありがとうございます

Posts: 18335 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been waiting for a number of episodes to build-up so I can binge chunks, looks like I can start digging-in later this week. I've been looking forward to this series.

Posts: 15030 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I am enjoying this so far. It's moving at a faster pace than the 1980 from what I remember, but they have added additional dimension that was not in that version.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38187 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I binged the first 3 episodes last night. I’m enjoying it quite a bit, despite the lack of Mifune…

But seriously, it’s quite well done. Whoever did their set and costume designs deserves recognition. It’s visually stunning. Short of successfully cloning Mifune, Sanada is as perfect a Toranaga as anyone could ask for. The head Jesuit priest is the only one whose performance just isn’t resonating with me so far, but his role has been fairly minimal.

My wife is enjoying it despite literally no interest in feudal Japan, never having read the book, and generally not enjoying subtitles. It’s even gotten her to ask about some of the history of the period.

Posts: 2643 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

It's moving at a faster pace than the 1980 from what I remember

That's just modern TV and movies and it's annoying IMO

I noticed it with Doctor Who from 2005 on.

What they'd take 2, 4, even 6 episodes to flesh out in the 1970's and 1980's they would be doing in half of an episode.

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've been watching it and digging it so far. Really well done though its been more years than I'd like to think about passing since I've read the book. I've liked Sanada in other things so its cool to see him carry the role here. Everyone involved seems really good at this point though we haven't caught the latest one yet.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post