SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New Shogun series
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Shogun series Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Just saw a tickler for this on OTA TV. Loved the book... hope they don't ruin things.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2788316/

Last done in 1980 with Richard Chamberlain
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080274/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet that will have alot of CGI...

Posts: 309 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Interesting! I also read the book, and watched the series. Are there any trailers out yet?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16362 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Are there any trailers out yet?

Not that I've found.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Is John Blackthorn going to be played by rapper Lil Baby?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Sounds similar to Tom Cruises the Last Samurai, which was a good flick, saw the trailer as well last night it does look interesting....

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Sounds similar to Tom Cruises the Last Samurai, which was a good flick, saw the trailer as well last night it does look interesting....

Trailer? Where?

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds similar to Tom Cruises the Last Samurai, which was a good flick

Kinda, but not really, beyond the overall "white dude goes to Japan and becomes a samurai" shtick.

Shogun is based on a novel from the 1970s, which itself was loosely based on the historical figure William Adams, an English sailor who became the first Englishman to arrive in Japan in the early 1600s, and who settled in Japan and eventually rose to become a royal advisor and samurai, the first Westerner to do so within feudal Japan's closed and highly insular society.

I never read the novel, but I remember enjoying the 1980s miniseries when I was younger.

Posts: 32521 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Only thing I can find is this vid with very brief clips and a few stills...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16362 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:

The book came out long before the Tom Cruise movie and already had a mini series based on it back in the late 70's or early 80's.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
This makes me want to watch the original Shogun series again as well as The Last Samurai.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38685 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Sounds similar to Tom Cruises the Last Samurai, which was a good flick

Kinda, but not really, beyond the overall "white dude goes to Japan and becomes a samurai" shtick.

Shogun is based on a novel from the 1970s, which itself was loosely based on the historical figure William Adams, an English sailor who became the first Englishman to arrive in Japan in the early 1600s, and who settled in Japan and eventually rose to become a royal advisor and samurai, the first Westerner to do so within feudal Japan's closed and highly insular society.

Given today's social climate, there's going to be a vocal minority that's going to cry white-savior complex within motion pictures...they're not wrong but, Shogun is not the project to throw such aspersions. What critics really need to consider is feudal Japan, was akin to the fascination that current society has with highly martial cultures from the past. Like the Spartans during antiquity or, 18-19th century Prussia, feudal Japan presents a world where the majority of today's society, regardless of culture, would have a very difficult time adapting to or, understanding.

As for this show, anything with Hiroyuki Sanada in it, I'm watching it.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
I’m guessing most people here don’t remember the TV Mini-Series. Or wasn’t born yet, as it aired in 1980.

It starred Richard Chamberlain as Blackthorn (analog for Adams), Toshiro Mifune as Lord Toranaga (clearly based on Tokugawa Iyeyatsu), and John Rhys-Davies as Rodriguez.

It stayed fairly close to the novel by Clavell.

Shogun was part of his Asia series which also included King Rat (WW2 Japanese Prison camp), and Taipan (around the Opium War). Later Noble House set in 20th century Hong Kong brought together the characters (or descendants of the characters) from the earlier 3 novels.

I remain cautiously optimistic about the new series.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Windhover:
I’m guessing most people here don’t remember the TV Mini-Series. Or wasn’t born yet, as it aired in 1980.

It starred Richard Chamberlain as Blackthorn (analog for Adams), Toshiro Mifune as Lord Toranaga (clearly based on Tokugawa Iyeyatsu), and John Rhys-Davies as Rodriguez.

It stayed fairly close to the novel by Clavell.

The 1980 mini-series was pretty close to the book and very entertaining. A couple of years later, they cut the series down to a 2-hour theater movie, and it was terrible.

I'm looking forward to the new series. I hope they don't screw it up.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
This makes me want to watch the original Shogun series again as well as The Last Samurai.
i have the Shogun DVD set. Let me know if you’d like me to send it to you. Email is in my profile.

Posts: 45377 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
I've read the novel at least half a dozen times, and in fact started it again last week. The first time I read it was while deployed in Japan in 1992. It's an excellent novel.

I remember bits of the 80s miniseries. It was ok as I remember but didn't come close to the sweeping vastness of the novel. While I'm hopeful, I suspect this new production won't either.

One comment on the review that was posted. Not sure how the commentator can say the lead actor "was born to play this role" when he freely admits he's never read the novel nor saw the first miniseries. All he knows is the actor has played a samurai before so of course he's "perfect" for this one. Roll Eyes

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6732 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
i have the Shogun DVD set. Let me know if you’d like me to send it to you. Email is in my profile.

Mark, that's very generous of you! Thanks! I'll be in touch.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38685 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Trailer on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoWO1oRlt0I

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2090 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
Trailer on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoWO1oRlt0I

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I remember the original mini-series very fondly. It was one of the first primetime mini-series on a big network, and drew a huge audience. Very well done.

Posts: 18070 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post