SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KShooter:
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
After watching a movie about Hemingway, I realized I had never read any of his books. I immediately hit up Amazon for a single book with "The Sun Also Rises", "For Whom the Bell Tolls", "A Farewell to Arms", and "The Old Man and the Sea". I quickly jumped into TSAR.

Holy cow, it sucks. Frown Sure, the dialog between characters is pretty good, but I just can't put myself in with these hedonistic, spoiled jerks. I'm pretty certain Brett Ashley has BPD.

I'm with ya. Last year I first read "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and then jumped right into "The Old Man and the Sea." Both were pretty decent. Glad I read them but not sure I will ever read them again. Then I picked up "The Sun Also Rises" and could only make it about 1/3 of the way through the book before I had to dump it.

In the spirit of noting 'Unreadable Classics' I will add "Catch-22" to that list. Boy, did I want to like this book. Could not get through the first few chapters, however. Style, pace, construction, .... Whoever turned that into a good movie did amazing work.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
quote:
After watching a movie about Hemingway, I realized I had never read any of his books. I immediately hit up Amazon for a single book with "The Sun Also Rises", "For Whom the Bell Tolls", "A Farewell to Arms", and "The Old Man and the Sea". I quickly jumped into TSAR.

Holy cow, it sucks. Frown Sure, the dialog between characters is pretty good, but I just can't put myself in with these hedonistic, spoiled jerks. I'm pretty certain Brett Ashley has BPD.

I'm with ya. Last year I first read "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and then jumped right into "The Old Man and the Sea." Both were pretty decent. Glad I read them but not sure I will ever read them again. Then I picked up "The Sun Also Rises" and could only make it about 1/3 of the way through the book before I had to dump it.

In the spirit of noting 'Unreadable Classics' I will add "Catch-22" to that list. Boy, did I want to like this book. Could not get through the first few chapters, however. Style, pace, construction, .... Whoever turned that into a good movie did amazing work.

Man I loved "Catch-22." I read several "classics" last year and "Catch-22" was definitely my favorite. Haven't seen the movie.

"Catcher in the Rye" was one that I finished but kept telling myself to drop it after the first couple of chapters. Should have listened to myself. Horrible read. And that was actually when I grabbed "The Sun Also Rises" and listened to myself about dropping the book

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted Hide Post
Reading the Silo series by Hugh Howey right now. Almost done with the first collection (Wool). Really enjoying it.

Dystopian survival. Society Living in a Silo. Is there more life outside? Toxic air will kill you out there. Your punishment for discussing the outside... Is to go outside. Oh, and please clean the cameras out there before you kick it. Thanks.

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Try it again. Heller can actually write.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Try it again. Heller can actually write.

Yes! One of my favorite books.

signed: Major Major Major Major

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ronnied316:
Currently reading Armada, by Ernest Cline.

Prior to that, the recent list looks like this:

Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline

You'll have to update us when you're done with Armada. I LOVED Ready Player One but am hesitant to give Armada a go due to Amazon reviews.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished the third Egil and Nix book from Paul S Kemp, A Conversation in Blood. Deep reading? Nah. The dialogue runs through my head like a buddy cop movie, with a fantasy setting.

I may have to pick up the more recent Garrett, PI books by Glen Cook. Not sure I want to go through The Black Company again right now.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Yes! One of my favorite books.

signed: Major Major Major Major

I need to see you. When can I?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Latin version would also be a translation... The Iliad was originally in Greek. Wink

My error. My first reading of both The Iliad and The Odyssey were in Latin. So confusing to keep those two cultures apart Smile

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I need to see you. When can I?

When I am not there. Smile

Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:

quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
Just finished "Orphan X" by Greg Hurwitz on audible, narrated by Scott Brick. Phenomenal! I immediately downloaded the next in the series "The Nowhere Man" which so far is even better.

Evan Smoake makes Mitch Rapp look like a fucking Girl Scout.

I just picked up Orphan X this past week. It seemed like the kind of story I'd be interested in. I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to start reading it, though. I liked Gregg Hurwitz's previous series with DUSM Tim Rackley. I was torn between Orphan X and starting Mark Greaney's Gray Man series. I'll probably end up checking out the Gray Man series before too long.

I finished Nowhere Man today and I can't wait for the next book in this series. Set up very well for the next one.

I couldn't get enough of Gregg Hurwitz so I downloaded "Survivor", also narrarted by Scott Brick. Great reviews. I'm on a 10-12 hour road trip tomorrow so I'm looking forward to getting lost in that.

I've read the Gray Man series too and enjoyed them.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
Before Christmas, I became fascinated with the Great Lakes Hurricane of 1913.

I am currently reading November's Fury. Next up, is Ships Gone Missing.

Love to see the reading list on this. Yuuuge fan of the story of the Fitz and in the book Gales of November by Robert Hemming there are a number of references to the storm of 1913.

I just finished November's Fury, by Michael Schumacher.

The next two are:
The Last Laker by Frederick Stonehouse
Ships Gone Missing by Robert J, Hemming

How the storm evolved is fascinating and the stories are just horrific. So many ships and so many men lost.

A weather event like this could happen today, but technology would prevent most Captains from leaving port.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JD83
posted Hide Post
Recently read Karl Marlantes' Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War.

Currently reading Black Wind, White Snow-The
Rise of Russia's New Nationalism by Charles Clover.

Posts: 352 | Location: Blue Heaven  | Registered: April 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orive 8:
Started reading the Gray Man series by Mark Greaney. First book was great, I'm into the second one.

I too, as well, have gotten in to this series. Good stuff.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spiff_P239:
quote:
Originally posted by ronnied316:
Currently reading Armada, by Ernest Cline.

Prior to that, the recent list looks like this:

Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline

You'll have to update us when you're done with Armada. I LOVED Ready Player One but am hesitant to give Armada a go due to Amazon reviews.

Finished Armada last night. I did not enjoy it as much as Ready Player One, but RPO touched a nerve that a book has not accomplished in a long, long time. That being said, I'd still recommend Armada because it's a good read, and it puts a new spin on some of my favorite movies/sci-fi/video game concepts.

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite books is also one of the hardest to read, at least to start. The Sound and the Fury is an absolute masterpiece but reading the first chapter from Benji's perspective will make you quit the book multiple times.

On the far other side of things, I've been reading Fleming's Bond novels through for a little while. Definitely not great literature but they are fun, fast-paced stories.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Man I loved "Catch-22." I read several "classics" last year and "Catch-22" was definitely my favorite. Haven't seen the movie.

"Catcher in the Rye" was one that I finished but kept telling myself to drop it after the first couple of chapters. Should have listened to myself. Horrible read. And that was actually when I grabbed "The Sun Also Rises" and listened to myself about dropping the book

I forced my self to finish catch 22 last year. I think now it's wry humor and black humor are so common place that it has become its own worst enemy.

I could not stomach slaughter house 5. Not after catch 22.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a epic novel. Read Eiji Yoshikowa's "Musashi"

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Yes does he have to come back?

XXXXX is going off so what is next?

XXXXXXXX getting revenge again?

Going to leave him alone for a while.

XXXXX'ed out the names do not want to spoil it.

quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
The Obsidian Chamber, the latest novel in the A. X. L. Pendergast series by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child.

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2255 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Erick85:
The Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson.

Fascinating stories. Expertly woven together.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post