SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Top Gun: Maverick - Trailer is out
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Gun: Maverick - Trailer is out Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
He spent so much time super sonic that he is actually a few years younger. Like the speed of light, but slower.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
He spent so much time super sonic that he is actually a few years younger. Like the speed of light, but slower.

Tom Cruise is a vampire.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
Regarding the change of patches on Maverick's jacket - while everybody is debating whether he could still be an active-status pilot, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been on any Far East cruise in 1963/64, as suggested by the original.

Posts: 2406 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
It was his Dad's jacket.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
How often does CAG/DCAG fly on a deployment?

All of my CAG/DCAGs flew regularly - as a pilot, they would keep night current to land on the carrier, or would get night current ASAP if they fell out of it.

They certainly could be 'done without' on a flying / combat level and typically made the rounds to fly with as many squadrons as possible (even if they weren't qualified, ie F14 pilot riding with the E2, DCAG NFO flying with the HH-60s, etc).

It's more of a leadership deal - to keep tabs on the squadrons and what not. But during combat ops, they flew pretty often - not leading the charge (nor should they), but in the fight from time to time.

In the Navy the Tactical Prowess is at the O-3/4 level; not that O-5s can't be good, but more of their time / energy is spent doing admin / staff stuff in an attempt to climb the ladder than staying in the books.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

they missed the timeframe by like 15 years
They should have just set the timeline 10 years earlier.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
It was his Dad's jacket.

I actually thought of that possibility, but given that his dad was supposed to have been a naval aviator flying from Oriskany during Vietnam, how likely is it that he would have been on a six-month cruise with a guided missile cruiser a couple years earlier? Would a midshipman cruise go that far and long?

Mind, I think it likely they changed it so the movie could run in China; I can't make out the writing on the new patch to judge if it was also done to make a small detail more believable. Not that I really care enough for the issue to influence whether I'm gonna see the sequel to the first movie I ever went to the theater for by myself.

Posts: 2406 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
How often does CAG/DCAG fly on a deployment?

All of my CAG/DCAGs flew regularly - as a pilot, they would keep night current to land on the carrier, or would get night current ASAP if they fell out of it.

They certainly could be 'done without' on a flying / combat level and typically made the rounds to fly with as many squadrons as possible (even if they weren't qualified, ie F14 pilot riding with the E2, DCAG NFO flying with the HH-60s, etc).

It's more of a leadership deal - to keep tabs on the squadrons and what not. But during combat ops, they flew pretty often - not leading the charge (nor should they), but in the fight from time to time.

In the Navy the Tactical Prowess is at the O-3/4 level; not that O-5s can't be good, but more of their time / energy is spent doing admin / staff stuff in an attempt to climb the ladder than staying in the books.

Good insight, thanks. Career tracks and progression are always interesting, especially in aviation, where there's a variety of avenues to follow.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Well this thread started out cool, but sure did get stupid.

It’s entertainment guys...chill out.

Happens every time. The documentarians come in then someone throws politics into it like feces. It’s supposed to be fun. Top Gun was fun. Nobody that knows anything would say flipping the bird inverted, canopy to canopy, is accurate. But damn it was sure fun. Don’t let people ruin your fun or this will be a boring life.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Tom Cruise is a vampire.

He is. I saw the movie. Razz

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Yes, who knew it was actually a biopic? Big Grin

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:

Happens every time. The documentarians come in then someone throws politics into it like feces. It’s supposed to be fun. Top Gun was fun. Nobody that knows anything would say flipping the bird inverted, canopy to canopy, is accurate. But damn it was sure fun. Don’t let people ruin your fun or this will be a boring life.

During the filming of Top Gun, some Navy officers approached director Tony Scott to complain about inaccuracies and unrealistic stuff they noticed. Scott's response was, "We're not making this movie for Navy fighter pilots, we're making it for Kansas wheat farmers who don't know the difference."

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:

During the filming of Top Gun, some Navy officers approached director Tony Scott to complain about inaccuracies and unrealistic stuff they noticed. Scott's response was, "We're not making this movie for Navy fighter pilots, we're making it for Kansas wheat farmers who don't know the difference."

He was right. If you are an intelligent human being, congratulations. You are gifted. Not everyone is. So product that comes out has to be dumbed down for inclusion purposes, mental reasons not skin color or politics. Top Gun, is like I don’t know, 100 movies I could mention, that were fun. Old West stuff, action films, shit like Ronin where DeNiro supervises his own bullet extraction then passes out. None of it is real. Have fun with it man. I’d rather watch Tom in a Hornet doing cool shit compared to some millennial in a skin tight action ho suit in some new action ho film. I know it will be unrealistic. Big fucking deal.

The Final Countdown was on today. Kirk Douglas is in charge of the Nimitz. The carrier “magically” goes back in time prior to the Pearl Harbor invasion by the Japanese. You could say the whole movie is a big bag of bullshit. And you’d be right, but it’s still fun as shit seeing Intruders, Corsairs, and Tomcats launch off the cat and land later. This 1980 film shows off our Navy, our aircraft, our commitment, and it’s fun.

Cliff notes: Quit yer bitchin’. We are bound to see some Hornets in expert hands, probably the Angels, doing some aeronautical feats. You wanna bitch about this, and go see Spider-Man in tights? Geez man.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They need to make a movie with a dozen actors about a c-17 load master crew.

and the stuff they accomplish

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tom Cruise is a vampire.

Nah, it's just all his Thetens keeping him young. They're probably just having to much fun possessing...inhabiting...coexisting...whatever inside Tom (ewww) that they don't want the party to end when he dies.

Tom will live forever.

Posts: 1603 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BansheeOne:
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
It was his Dad's jacket.

I actually thought of that possibility, but given that his dad was supposed to have been a naval aviator flying from Oriskany during Vietnam, how likely is it that he would have been on a six-month cruise with a guided missile cruiser a couple years earlier? Would a midshipman cruise go that far and long?.

I wouldn’t give too much thought to the patches on the jacket (at least in the original movie). I’m not sure but I think there’s a SeaBee patch and Marine air wing patch. Just random Hollywood decorations.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6705 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
I wouldn’t give too much thought to the patches on the jacket (at least in the original movie). I’m not sure but I think there’s a SeaBee patch and Marine air wing patch. Just random Hollywood decorations.

Yup, somebody in the 'decorations department' got cute and randomly pulled them, if I remember right, Maverick's squadron patch was really a VAW squadron, and Iceman's was actually a VFA squadron.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Historians. documentarians. contrarians.

Band of Brothers was not history, it was full of hollywood and crap. In episode 6, scene 4 there is a M1 Garand, with a post servicing cold war era stock and the Bomb cartouche cannot be seen. The iron sight is also wrong on the German MG 42 machine gun.

From the Earth to the Moon, had a seam wrong on one of the spacesuits and in the background of one shot you can clearly see a 1996 camaro in the parking lot. And the sound of the jet flying overhead is of a 777 out of LosAngeles.

TopGun in the 1980's was the real deal, it was perfect, even the 'soviet' F18's they flew.

And to think China and its ownership of our national debt, land, banks etc. to bad they had to finally cross the line and interject themselves into the patch on a jacket in a movie.

Seriously, I plan to watch it, enjoy it, and have fun.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Also...his haircut isn't to reg. even for the Navy...

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
My nephew started to complain about it, "There is no way that Maverick . . ."

Stop, not another word.

Had it not been for Maverick, IceMan would be dead, the Carrier sunk and we would have been at war that ended in a Nuclear Winter that erased Mankind and only Australian Nomads survive fighting for gasoline and random football equipment. Yes, Maverick saved us from the apocalypse Wink

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post