SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Top Gun: Maverick - Trailer is out
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Gun: Maverick - Trailer is out Login/Join 
Picture of JD83
posted Hide Post
This article about the Top Gun remake kinda rankles-apparently they removed the Japanese and Taiwanese flag patches from Maverick's jacket to kowtow to the Chinese(one of the movie's
producers is the Chinese Tencent Pictures). As reporter Mark McKinnon tweeted this movie is "Communist Party of China approved":

https://www.dailycaller.com/20...gs-concession-china/

Is nothing sacred(Goose is probably rolling in his grave).

Posts: 352 | Location: Blue Heaven  | Registered: April 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Just lost me.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JD83
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Just lost me.

Did you read the article?-pretty clear.

Posts: 352 | Location: Blue Heaven  | Registered: April 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD83:
quote:
Just lost me.

Did you read the article?-pretty clear.

Yes, very clear. And I won't be watching the movie. At all, much less paying for it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Newsflash, Hollywood is 50% owned by the Chinese.

They also make pretty much every SIG Romeo Sight and all the computers / phones we use.

Anyway, just keeping it real.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

They also make pretty much every SIG Romeo Sight and all the computers / phones we use.

This surprise folks? We are many many trillions of dollars in debt. Guess who owns the debt, mafia style? Wake up.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:

This surprise folks? We are many many trillions of dollars in debt. Guess who owns the debt, mafia style? Wake up.

wrong

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
Is it possible for a Navy Admiral or an Air Force General to remain fighter jet certified? Is it considered beneath them and they don't do it anymore or will .mil not expend the resources to allow them to maintain whatever required flight hours are needed?
Yes, in some cases they do remain qual'ed. Adm Mark Fox (Mig Killer from Desert Storm) continued to fly when he was the Battle Group Commander; but I doubt he was allowed to fly combat missions regularly - Naval Aviation is a fast moving game - sure landing on a carrier remains 'the same', but it's a very perishable skill (even more so at night) - but the tactics, weapons, etc change at a very fast pace. So in the Navy any of them doing it are more for 'morale' reasons, for them and for the troops to see them flying (not like they really care).

For that reason pretty much any Navy F-18 guy you see doing ROTC or other cheesy non-flying or non ticket punching staff jobs have probably flown their last operational flight. They may soldier on flying in the training command or test pilot gigs, but to remain skilled and in the game you need to keep flying.

We had a carrier CO (O-6) who flew F-14s with us, but we wouldn't qualify him for night ops (he tried, but didn't have it anymore). I think he flew 3-4 times on deployment, day only training flights, including his retirement flight.

How often does CAG/DCAG fly on a deployment?

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Please explain the acronyms. We do not all work at the Pentagon. Thanks

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just lost me.

So Hollywood being run by liberal pedophiles wasnt a deal breaker for you, but a patch does it??? Come on man... its gonna have afterburners and Jennifer Connelly’s tits, thats good enough.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
In regards to time in service, back in 2017 Col. Edmund Bowen retired from the USMC as the longest serving Marine after 43 years of duty.
https://www.tactical-life.com/...ving-marine-retires/

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
quote:
Just lost me.

So Hollywood being run by liberal pedophiles wasnt a deal breaker for you, but a patch does it???

Yeah, but they're our leftist pedophiles. This is the ChiComs attempting to influence our politics and culture. Not having it. I'm out.

crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
Come on man... its gonna have afterburners and Jennifer Connelly’s tits, thats good enough.

Agreed! I'm in! Cool

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Well this thread started out cool, but sure did get stupid.

It’s entertainment guys...chill out.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Please explain the acronyms. We do not all work at the Pentagon. Thanks

CAG is the Carrier Air Group Commander, he's in charge of the carrier air wing (all the aircraft on board) the DCAG is his deputy.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tHANKS.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Some interesting insights from a real TG instructor...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Poor Mav, goes to Super Hornets and spends most of his flying time as a tanker.....

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
I'll probably watch it, but Cruise being a 56 YO Captain is ridiculous. Let's not forget he was already a LT (senior grade) in the 1986 movie, so he could not have been commissioned later than 1981, and that is a push. More like 1980, so he's likely pushing 40 years of service.

All of the stated, this would have been a good remake 10 years ago.

totally agree

they missed the timeframe by like 15 years

sure there are 'old' O6s in the service but they are waaay beyond routine / line flight status

i could see him as an instructor 'obi wan' type. But actually flying in combat?? YGBFKM

plenty of my classmates / former colleagues (class of '90) are retiring now as 06s and they are old geezers as far as the military is concerned. my relative is an '88 grad (pilot) and recently retires. hadn't touched a stick in years.

but ... suspension of disbelief and all that...

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post